Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting read and view points on Texas exotics:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/texas-jurassic-park-exotic-wildlife/

1708231279911.png

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the red stuff is the shot placement, I would skip the pic. If not the shot placement, I'd hide the red stuff prior to the pic or skip the pic. Either way, NOT a good look for the pic so maybe just plain skip the pic.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know any of the details of the hunt, mostly because I am pretty sure it's just another advertisement for a pay-for-hunt operation.

As far as the shot police? Well, I ain't gonna lie...not all of my shots in life were an immediately lethal brain or heart shot. We praise bowhunters who have to wait until the next day to claim their kill because "it may have been a little back", and that's OK.

Look guys, nobody will ever convince me that PETA'ish people really give a crap about where the hole in the animal is located. They may use it to get the feelers of the stupid, but I rather appreciate a more realistic depiction of our quarry's demise. So often I see what are probably edited pics of a "clean kill" and can fully see the animal's vitals, only to wonder where the shot placement actually was on the animal.

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why the hell you'd want to shoot a striped donkey in the first place is beyond me.

One would also think shooting one OUTSIDE of Africa to be a bit anticlimactic.

They both look like douchebags so....IF the glove fits.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh no Jiffy high fence is sporting. For $99,000 I could have shot the giraffe my wife was handfeeding cookies. As a matter of fact he took one out of her mouth. The cheapest was blackbuck for $2,900. Some of the pastures were thousands of acres, but most of the animals concentrated around the pickup truck with the food.
The big problem with high fence is they will shaft common hunters as often as possible to force people to come to them. High fence, outfitters, guides are a business like any other business. It's like pharmacudicals do they really want us to be well without them?
If I was rich I would have hundreds of wall tents up in the backcountry. Walk in hunters welcome. Beds $50 a night. Meals $50 a day. Freelance guides $100 a day if you want one. Call them Mountain Bed and Breskfast. Pick you up at the trailhead if you want a horseback ride, $10 a mile. Freelance hunting for those who can't afford outfitters or expensive equipment themselves.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why the hell you'd want to shoot a striped donkey in the first place is beyond me.

One would also think shooting one OUTSIDE of Africa to be a bit anticlimactic.

They both look like douchebags so....IF the glove fits.
Respectfully Jiffy,

I am going to have to disagree with everything you said. Why shoot a striped donkey? Why divide? Why do you have a sniper rifle in your avatar? Don't be an elitist, don't divide sportsmen.

Outside of Africa? You cannot hunt these animals inside of Africa. They mostly exist in the wild inside of national parks. Or game farms. We all know the story how the bison were exterminated on the prairie. The ready market for the hides was Europe. Had the Europeans not purchased the hides, the incentive to shoot millions of bison would not have happened. The hides from wild creatures in Africa did not have the same value instead the great herds were wiped out and the meat was put into cans. It was called bush meat. Everybody ate it.

A lot of species that are rare in the wild in Africa are plentiful in Texas. But they have to pay their own way. Meaning there has to be a harvest. There are people who would like to stop that income.

Notice the article picture above. Prickly pear catus and cats claw scrub. The Hill country in Texas resembles much of where these animals live in Africa. The Hill Country mostly drains into the Edwards Aquifer. The city of San Antonio gets much of its water from the Edwards Aquifer. The city purchased waters rights years ago to keep people upstream from irrigating the Hill Country which used to raise citrus and crops. Exotic animals don't require much water.

The article interviews Exotic Wildlife Association Charley Seale. He is a retired Texas Ranger. Good people.

And of course, PrairieGhost couldn't resist his usual tripe. $99,000 for a giraffe. Ha
There are giraffe inside National Parks. There are absolutely no guns allowed inside. Therefore, they are not afraid of humans. All animals will walk right beside your vehicle. There are huge fences around Parks. We visited Kruger in South Africa. Bull elephant sometimes will crash the fence. Once outside on the loose ravishing crops, they are shot immediately.

The carrying capacity for elephant inside Kruger is eight thousand. Right now, they have thirty-two thousand. Bulls in musk plow over trees. Leaf eaters like giraffe, kudu, nyala etc. suffer. Something needs to be done, the export ban of ivory is holding things up. In the past excess elephant tags were sold for $60,000 bucks and the money went to conservation. They are going to have to lift the ban on ivory for a short window to make it happen. Get a good one and you will make money on the sale of the ivory.

PrarieGhost said if he was a millionaire he would start a mountain bed and breakfast. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy beer.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's no one business what and where they shoot animals, Go to the Yukon and shoot a Moose with Jim Shockey and spend upwards of 25000.00. When you count airfare and tips. Or go to Texas and shoot a Zebra or other exotic's. Or shoot a big Whitetail at a high fence operation and spend 20,000.00.

Just because you wouldn't do it. does not make it any less a hunt for someone else. What are you mad because you cant afford to go

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed.

Furthermore, if I had 10 trillion dollars in the bank I still wouldn’t. I’m happy to say it’s not my thing.

If you’re dumb enough to pay for shit like that I have 2 Holsteins out in the feedlot you can whack for 24K a piece!! You can even shoot them in the ass for that price!!

Have at it!! 😂

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Respectfully Jiffy,

I am going to have to disagree with everything you said. Why shoot a striped donkey? Why divide? Why do you have a sniper rifle in your avatar? Don't be an elitist, don't divide sportsmen.

Outside of Africa? You cannot hunt these animals inside of Africa. They mostly exist in the wild inside of national parks. Or game farms. We all know the story how the bison were exterminated on the prairie. The ready market for the hides was Europe. Had the Europeans not purchased the hides, the incentive to shoot millions of bison would not have happened. The hides from wild creatures in Africa did not have the same value instead the great herds were wiped out and the meat was put into cans. It was called bush meat. Everybody ate it.

A lot of species that are rare in the wild in Africa are plentiful in Texas. But they have to pay their own way. Meaning there has to be a harvest. There are people who would like to stop that income.

Notice the article picture above. Prickly pear catus and cats claw scrub. The Hill country in Texas resembles much of where these animals live in Africa. The Hill Country mostly drains into the Edwards Aquifer. The city of San Antonio gets much of its water from the Edwards Aquifer. The city purchased waters rights years ago to keep people upstream from irrigating the Hill Country which used to raise citrus and crops. Exotic animals don't require much water.

The article interviews Exotic Wildlife Association Charley Seale. He is a retired Texas Ranger. Good people.

And of course, PrairieGhost couldn't resist his usual tripe. $99,000 for a giraffe. Ha
There are giraffe inside National Parks. There are absolutely no guns allowed inside. Therefore, they are not afraid of humans. All animals will walk right beside your vehicle. There are huge fences around Parks. We visited Kruger in South Africa. Bull elephant sometimes will crash the fence. Once outside on the loose ravishing crops, they are shot immediately.

The carrying capacity for elephant inside Kruger is eight thousand. Right now, they have thirty-two thousand. Bulls in musk plow over trees. Leaf eaters like giraffe, kudu, nyala etc. suffer. Something needs to be done, the export ban of ivory is holding things up. In the past excess elephant tags were sold for $60,000 bucks and the money went to conservation. They are going to have to lift the ban on ivory for a short window to make it happen. Get a good one and you will make money on the sale of the ivory.

PrarieGhost said if he was a millionaire he would start a mountain bed and breakfast. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy beer.
Actually you can hunt zebra in Africa. A guy on Archery Talk got one with his bow hunting at Matsuri Safaris.
Now as far as others ripping another persons choice where and what they decide to hunt I agree is not a good idea. Example: I might think that people who run marathons are stupid but I don't try to stop them from doing what they enjoy (wouldn't hurt me to start jogging/running a little myself). The anit hunters love finding proof that sportsmen will through each other under the bus so easily while they stay organized and little by little pick away and take away hunting rights and opportunities. Can't remember where I read it but it was about some animal from I believe North Africa that the numbers had declined so much that there were more of that species in Texas than its native land and I think they were either planning to or currently transporting from Texas to there in order to help bring the numbers back up, wish I could remember better.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
1899 to 1999 North American Wildlife Conservation Model

1708373098311.png

1999 to now North American Model of Wildlife Conservation

1708373180110.png

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's no one business what and where they shoot animals, Go to the Yukon and shoot a Moose with Jim Shockey and spend upwards of 25000.00. When you count airfare and tips. Or go to Texas and shoot a Zebra or other exotic's. Or shoot a big Whitetail at a high fence operation and spend 20,000.00.

Just because you wouldn't do it. does not make it any less a hunt for someone else. What are you mad because you cant afford to go
What makes it less of a hunt is they are not free roaming animals, it is a shoot not a hunt.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
rich people have money. Money is needed to fight anti hunters. If they are on our side they can shoot what ever the hell they want
Nope…not this guy. I’ll hang it up first. I’m WAY too German to concede to that.

I have hashed and rehashed this discussion with pretty much the same group of people for over a decade. So most already know my take (not that it even matters). I’m leaving it at that because quite frankly it really doesn’t matter anymore.

Hunting is pretty much already dead IMO.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
To each their own but shooting a pen raised “trophy” and calling it a hunt is a stretch no matter how you slice it. Not my thing and I think it does give some ammo to the anti’s who can frame it as unfair.

I also don’t understand the tough guy photos. Unless that was a man eating zebra that killed your family why not smile like you had a good time?

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has been going on for years have couple friends did small plain's and larger animals just like a Safaris. Not for him

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you think that for one second the high fence guys and outfitters are for freelance “normal” hunting your head needs to be checked!!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
To each their own but shooting a pen raised “trophy” and calling it a hunt is a stretch no matter how you slice it. Not my thing and I think it does give some ammo to the anti’s who can frame it as unfair.

I also don’t understand the tough guy photos. Unless that was a man eating zebra that killed your family why not smile like you had a good time?
bravo, some years ago there was a Humane Society lobbyist sitting in Washington DC typing on these forums and he was trying to divide same as you. It's so unfair.....

You aren't that guy reinvented, are you?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88