Air rifles

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember buying 22 shorts at a hardware store in Wahpeton that came in a box like Chicklet gum. 28 rounds per box and when on sale they were 5 for a dollar. Rockets was the name and you could see them go through the air on a sunshine day. Really did the job on sparrows and other small critters. I would buy a box of 22 long rifle but would use them only on "big game" like rabbits or gophers. Would really use them like gold, hell it took 4 gopher tails to pay for 1 box of 50.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a Great Horned Owl move into our neighborhood in town over the winter. There's a lot less rabbits now.

nybs

Honored Member
I recently shot a Beeman .177 with a 3x9 scope with front turret from 7-100 yds...I don’t know about 100 yds but I backed up to 50 and it was dead on. Used some sig sauer pellets and pretty happy w results. Much nicer than the Gamo whisper I got for my son last year but that is a decent light gun that is easier to cock for him...left that we open sights and good to about 15 yds.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a Gamo Whisper and now have a Crosman Nitro Dusk .22 that works much better. I have shot out at 75 yards for some kill shots. The one thing that helps is the trigger mod that replaces the bushing with bearings, making the trigger a nice light pull. With out it, I was jerking the gun because it was so hard. Now it is nice and smooth and helps greatly with groupings. I have been very happy with this gun and it is a little cheaper than the competitors for a break barrel. Really wanted to go PCP, but the price was just too high for shooting rabbits.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a crossman 10 pump bb slingin chump for the backyard rabbit army ... wanted something more..
bought that $200ish gamo whisper to really pile up the long eared bastards but ...
It was supposed to be quiet... its louder than a 22
The thing destroyed 4 scopes within the first 30 days. Guys at scheels said those spendy air rifles have so much vibrations they eat scopes like nothing.
it sits in the safe unused, back to the crossman and its back in action slaying more bunnies than hef could have dreamed of.

Quiet, effective, cheap, works.
Ammo makes a big difference... the little red pointed tipped pellets seem to be the most effective.

god i hate those weed spreading bastards
When you go over 1116 fps at sea level (less the higher the elevation) you break the sound barrier and they are loud. You can solve that by going to heavy pellets. I know everyone pushes the light pellets, but they are noisy and part of the reason your destroying scopes. The PCP type have little to no recoil, and the nitro piston has much less recoil than the spring powered. Even with the nitro piston I destroyed scopes until I dropped $100 for a scope at Midway USA. My Beeman was so screwed up I had to get a 20 minute of angle mount off Amazon just to get sighted in at 20 yards.

I remember buying 22 shorts at a hardware store in Wahpeton that came in a box like Chicklet gum. 28 rounds per box and when on sale they were 5 for a dollar. Rockets was the name and you could see them go through the air on a sunshine day.
I remember them too. I bought them at Jim's Sport Shop in Devils Lake.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a fellow here in Jamestown that has the 25 cal Marauder. It was on my list along with a drone, a 10mm Glock, and a new scope. The scope won a couple of days ago. So next time I work and get a little cash I ------------------- who knows? :;:huh

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone ever read about Lewis and Clark and the air guns that they had with them on their trip.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
CCI "Quiet" fired out of a bolt 22. Quieter then most air rifles imho. Accurate too.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever read about Lewis and Clark and the air guns that they had with them on their trip.
Yes that was interesting. I seen one of them at the Winchester museum in Cody Wyoming. Napoleons outriders carried air guns. The opposing army would hang them as spies. They hated them because they were picking off their scouts with little noise to give away their position.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gammo is junk, I own more than a couple.

RWS is a great springer but they have their faults, once you master the artillery hold they mostly go away, also own more than a few. Get the T06 trigger if you get one, thank me later.

Been shooting an FX Impact for the last 6 months or so and IMHO once you go PCP you will never go back. The air compressor and bottles along with fittings and hoses is a major PIA but once you tool up there is nothing better.

I'm shooting JSM heavies ( 33.95gr ) at 900 FPS out of my .25 cal Impact. I still am surprised every time I shoot how awesome that rifle is.

16 shots per magazine and 60 shots between refills and a refill takes all of 2 minutes. With the moderator my PCP is also the quietest air rifle I have.

Last edited:

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weihrauch for me. HW95 with a Hawke scope. Stay away from the advertized 1200 to 1500 fps if you want accuracy. Under 1000 with a springer and the right consistent hold. Find a good pellet and you will be all set.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was looking into the PCP, with the extras needed it did kinda look like a hassle. I'm sure one would get it down fairly quickly.
The Diana RWS 48 .22 was 2nd on my list. Should be arriving Tuesday. Thanks all for the input...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use a Daisy 880 pump w/pellets. Do they even make those things anymore?

Yes, and the quality is not what you remember.

I shoot a Gamo nowadays. Not a real fan of the one-pump, one-shot variety. It's accurate as hell and at 1200 fps it will put a hole clean through every bunny I've shot. But that single shot thingy is not as fun when shooting gophers.

- - - Updated - - -

And it's as loud as a 22 LR. Thing amazes me at how loud it is every time I pull the trigger.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally got a chance to site in the RWS 48. What a sweet shooting air rifle. Got it dialed in so a quarter will cover 5 shoots at 27yds.
Stretch out a little further and i kinda start spraying them with just a 4x32. Would like to upgrade scope to variable. What model you guys running that are using the Hawke, or something out there that's better ?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.pyramydair.com/manual/benjamin-sheridan

- - - Updated - - -

I have this one in .22 and it has performed well for over 20 years. Very accurate and plenty of knock down power.

I have one in .17 caliber and the killing power is amazing. It came with a nice scope that has never failed but the fit of the scope mounts to the rifle is marginal at best. I frequently have to get the point of impact zeroed back in. Arm gets tired if it requires many shots to tweek it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33