Alaska finding more oil

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A North Slope oil discovery already called huge just got bigger, company says

A Spanish oil company working with a small explorer in Alaska announced Thursday what it's calling the largest onshore U.S. oil discovery in three decades.

The discovery is near the northeastern edge of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska on leased state land.

Repsol, a minority partner in a deal with Denver-based Armstrong Oil and Gas, announced that two wildcat wells drilled this winter at a prospect known as Horseshoe discovered bands of light oil, a find that extends the already huge Nanushuk play by an additional 20 miles to the south.

Nanushuk is in the Pikka Unit, a chunk of leases held primarily by Armstrong to the north and east of the village of Nuiqsut. The prospect is believed to continue to the south of the village.

"Repsol and partner Armstrong Energy have made in Alaska the largest U.S. onshore conventional hydrocarbons discovery in 30 years," Repsol said. "The Horseshoe-1 and 1A wells drilled during the 2016-2017 winter campaign confirm the Nanushuk play as a significant emerging play in Alaska's North Slope."

Because exploration drilling at Horseshoe has taken place only recently, it is extremely unlikely that estimates associated with the wells have been independently confirmed by a third-party company, said David Houseknecht, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey's Energy Resources Program for Alaska.

In late 2015, the companies announced the Nanushuk discovery as a major new opportunity in Alaska, after a third-party engineering firm, DeGolyer and MacNaughton, calculated "contingent" oil reserves to range between 497 million barrels and 3.76 billion barrels. The companies have said the discovery could produce at least 120,000 barrels of oil daily, potentially providing a much-needed production boost to Alaska's dwindling oil economy.

Complete story click on the link

https://www.adn.com/business-econom...eady-described-as-huge-just-got-a-lot-bigger/

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good thing Obama isn't around or he would stop that to

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope that saves Alaska from their budget shortfall of about $4 billion. They had reduced their extraction tax just in time for oil prices to fall (sounds familiar doesn't it?) and got into a much bigger budget problem than ND did. Their state's economy depends on oil, salmon, and tourism. We helped them via the tourism part twice in the last three years.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
trying to entice more drilling

Lowering the tax did not entice anymore drilling here in ND. It is all about price per barrel and cost of production that keeps them drilling. I am probably preaching to the choir as you probably work out in the patch. I hope the price gets up there to $70 bbl and stabilizes and gets guys back to work. The state never figured out what it costs to produce that oil such as infrastructure costs such as road, utilities, schools, law enforcement, increased staff in many departments, and so on. It is good that the legislature got rid of the big trigger or our state would be in a big hurt bag.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is in addition to a big discovery in Texas announced a few months ago. I would not count on the Bakken boom coming back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...osit-ever-found-us-discovered-texas/94013292/
The U.S. Geological Survey recently discovered the largest continuous oil and gas deposit ever found in the United States, officials said Tuesday.

The U.S. Geological Survey recently discovered the largest continuous oil and gas deposit ever found in the United States, officials said Tuesday.
The agency announced that the Wolfcamp shale, located in the Midland Basin portion of Texas’ Permian Basin, contains 20 billion barrels of oil and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas liquid.
The Permian Basin is one of the most productive oil and gas areas in the country, and more than 3,000 horizontal wells have been drilled in the Wolfcamp shale section, the agency said in a statement.................

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree in that the boom here will not return. Activity may pick up, but it will be nothing like that of the past. Whiting and just about every other company out there are now talking about how their leases are 99% held by production.

Once the leases are locked in, there is no rush to drill.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lowering the tax did not entice anymore drilling here in ND. It is all about price per barrel and cost of production that keeps them drilling. I am probably preaching to the choir as you probably work out in the patch. I hope the price gets up there to $70 bbl and stabilizes and gets guys back to work. The state never figured out what it costs to produce that oil such as infrastructure costs such as road, utilities, schools, law enforcement, increased staff in many departments, and so on. It is good that the legislature got rid of the big trigger or our state would be in a big hurt bag.
yea I know that, I was just stating what the state thought would happen. We all know how that turned out.

- - - Updated - - -

This is in addition to a big discovery in Texas announced a few months ago. I would not count on the Bakken boom coming back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...osit-ever-found-us-discovered-texas/94013292/

The agency announced that the Wolfcamp shale, located in the Midland Basin portion of Texas’ Permian Basin, contains 20 billion barrels of oil and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas liquid.
The Permian Basin is one of the most productive oil and gas areas in the country, and more than 3,000 horizontal wells have been drilled in the Wolfcamp shale section, the agency said in a statement.................
It all depends on one's definition of a boom. It certainly will never be anything like it was at the peak. But there was a reason for that. We will continue to add rigs as the price goes up.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you know. I thought Al Gore and all the other leftist nut jobs told us we will run out of oil in the next 20 or 30 years. That was part of the push for renewables. You know, the stuff that can't stand on its own and needs federal tax credits and incentives. Maybe in a 100 yrs they will come up with something else but right now this world runs on oil and will for a long time.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
lots of bakken money and jobs are now moving to texas...

we are at a really nice pace here now... the big money is gone for most, but i think we are pretty much "at" where the locals have been wanting to get to... the technology of the past decade has stabilized the oil markets to the point where production can be ramped up pretty quickly if needed...

without a war or disruption in the mid east, i don't see oil getting over $60 any time soon... something would have to go way bad to ever see $100 long term again imo... the technology that has been developed in this boom has changed the oil world forever, and as exploration technology is refined, i think we will find many more reserves waiting in the wings for when needed... we have plenty of oil... now whoever can get it to market the cheapest wins...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you know things have pretty much stabilized in the patch when the realtors start claiming there is about to be a sellers market lol

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is a lot of hiring going on now out here again. def. on the upswing.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree in that the boom here will not return. Activity may pick up, but it will be nothing like that of the past. Whiting and just about every other company out there are now talking about how their leases are 99% held by production.

Once the leases are locked in, there is no rush to drill.

Not entirely true. One of the biggest challenges for any oil company is keeping their production on the incline, or at least stable. Without that, stock prices plummet hurting the revenue stream etc. Most major oil companies are finding that offshore exploration is not very economical in this market environment. Especially any new plays or challenging ones. Also, assets like the Bakken are much easier to "throttle" production on. So it has a lot of value to big companies.

The boom of 09 to 2015 will not return without a major world event, but drilling will most definitely increase slowly at current market prices and accordingly with any rise here forward.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
As crazy at it sounds this might be a good time to get in the oil business and buy up a few leftovers.

It's a numbers game just like any other business, From what I read the Bakken formation is declining faster than predicted, no surprise since it's way smaller than what they first mapped it out to Rolette county, That's another topic in it's own that ticks me off. Can anyone confirm if this guy is close on the numbers ? http://www.artberman.com/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-the-bakken-shale-play/

Meanwhile at the other end of the pipeline the early birds are looking for worms.

. http://www.ugcenter.com/updated-top-12-ip-wells-permian-basin-598646
4,644.83 bbl oil equivalent/d (3,658 boc, 5.921 MMcf)Capitan Energy Inc.1H Lauren State 30Section 30, Block 58, T2S, T&P RR Co Survey, A-4479, Culberson County (RRC Dist. 8), TexasWolfcamp, DelawareNov. 2014

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think we are going to see lots of the wells have been already drilled fracked as soon as weather lines out. It seems there a ton of wells out there that are not completed. I don't think we will see over 100 rigs again in the Baaken as all leases are tied up in the core areas. It always makes me laugh when I think back of all the guys that thought it would never end and said we didn't overbuild!

I just looked at ND rig count is at 37 and TX is at 390.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88