All horsepower, no brains

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anglers are reasonably well organized as it applies to lobbying state congress. I don't recall seeing anything regarding the ND State Wake Boarding/Boating Association, but, there are a plethora of fishing clubs and organizations.

Sooner or later you're likely to inconvenience, endanger, or outright damage the wrong person's equipment. Like a legislator, or a donor, at which point you'll find yourself buried under a whole new set of rules, with a team of wardens just itching to write the tickets and the fishing/boating public behind them 100%.
Good point. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Not sure if it was an organization or individual behind it but HB1366 was enacted in the most recent session to allow barefoot skiers/boarders to use floatation wet suits in lieu of a PFD.

https://gf.nd.gov/legislation

Screenshot_20230828-212732_Chrome.jpg

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everyone on the water needs to pay attention and respect other boaters. I was almost hit twice this 4th of July weekend on the golden highway by the same pontoon. Just a bunch of folks cruising, drinking and jamming to tunes which we do in ND. Thank God I stood up and started waving my hands....could've been way worse

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
a wake boat going by the OP twice in a single day (2 minutes of inconvenience out of his 1440 minute day) was enough to wreck his day and carry into his Monday. Is it really worth getting that worked up over it?

Say it louder for the cheap seats!!
Why be a bunch of dicks and cruise by a fishing boat anyway with that much lake to use yourself? Once may have been a simple mistake twice is just being an asshole. People seem to lack common sense and courtesy now days.

My behavior consisted of doing absolutely nothing the first time other than shaking my head thinking it's a shame someone so oblivious and rude can afford such a nice boat and the gas it burns and the pickup that pulls it.

As you approached on the second pass I raised both hands in the air making the universal sign for "what the fuck are you doing!?"

When the driver raised both his arms mocking me is when I flipped the bird and grabbed the phone.

Instead of a wave or anything signifying an apology, everyone on board laughed. The rear passenger wagged the "hang loose" sign. It was clear nobody on board felt bad at the time.

My options to get your attention were limited. While we were certainly close enough for a polite conversation, there's no way you would have heard me over the Eminem song you were blaring through the speakers. The jigging rap to the boat as mentioned in another post was certainly an option but not the one I chose either time.

I'm glad you like the picture and since you acknowledged in another post you were too close I'm hopeful you'll be more considerate in the future. Thanks for the reply.

Edit:
And I hope you and your family live long, happy and healthy. Unless you voted for Biden in which case I stand by my initial statement.
I am aware of my surroundings on this fishing forum and all your cohesive opinions of the douche canoe. I can assure you that we will be more respectful but please know that we would never intentionally try to ruin anyone's gear or day. We were just trying to soak up the little bit of the already short summers we are allotted her in ND and didnt have the most weather appropriate day to do so. We will however always have our music up way too loud and based on who is DJ'ing that day it might not always be good. I appreciate the edit I was not particularly looking forward to the most aggressive form of rectal cancer. #FJB

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don'tcha just love how some things can come together. :);)

NodakBob

Honored Member
It seems half the boaters and fisherman on the Missouri River have no clue about the 100’ rule. When I am shore fishing, if my cast hits your boat you are too close and violating the law…

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems half the boaters and fisherman on the Missouri River have no clue about the 100’ rule. When I am shore fishing, if my cast hits your boat you are too close and violating the law…
A few years ago I was trolling cranks up stream just south around the corner of Fort Rice boat launch. There is a large area of beach where people shore fish, and as I get to it I always go way out and around them. But this old guy was drifting with the curent and going over this ladies line. Holy F did she freak out. Yelling and filming him with her phone gonna call the warden, this old guy just sat there and drifted on by. He may have tried to go a little further but didn't do a very good job of it.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if your fishing near a marina and the only way for boats to get to the boat ramp is to come within 100' of you? Or the only line in the channel up or down river is within 100' of shore? Both very common occurrences on the Mo.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if your fishing near a marina and the only way for boats to get to the boat ramp is to come within 100' of you? Or the only line in the channel up or down river is within 100' of shore? Both very common occurrences on the Mo.
You're fked and have to wait for Karen to leave. JK

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the guy in the wake boat was out of line going this close twice.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then you use your head and don't pass by that other person in such a manner as to disrupt them. If you're fishing or otherwise recreating near an access point, there has to be some give and take from you as well.

If your "plan" is to pull cranks right next to shore within walking distance of a boat ramp on the Mo on a weekend during the spring then you deserve all of the crap you're going to get from shore-fisher people. The vast majority of shore-fishers will be in very well known community shore-fishing spots. It's an asshole move to make a plan you're almost assured will disrupt them.

If your plan is to wake-surf, water-ski, knee-board, jet-ski, etc between the Ft Rice and Hazelton boat ramps in Apr/May on the weekend, or along the Sak dam-face in Aug/Sept during the peak Salmon bite both well-known and typically fairly crowded boat-fishing community holes, same thing you should expect and do deserve all the crap you're gonna get.

Keep your impact on all other marine recreators to the barest minimum and you'll probably avoid yelling, screaming, middle-fingers and the like.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does this apply to people fishing at the openings of the marinas?
I have had people cast all the way across the marinas then try and lift the line over my boat for me to try and get by....doesn't seem legit.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These arguments can be fun :p and you're right @Kurtr, it is NEVER too windy to fish and I have never been privy to a wake boat's wake... I did take a large wake from a cabin cruiser over the bow of my pontoon on the river in Bismarck one time that scared SH*T out of me, but alas all was well. As long as there's some sort of common understanding and lessons learned, and off course no ass cancer, then it's a good topic to educate on!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a summer or two I fished one of the marina entrances quite a bit and did fairly well. When pontoons would pass a lot of them would apologize and I would say no worries, I'm the idiot fishing by a marina you have the right of way. The reality was all my bites came right after boats went by and stirred things up, when there were no boats I didnt catch squat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a summer or two I fished one of the marina entrances quite a bit and did fairly well. When pontoons would pass a lot of them would apologize and I would say no worries, I'm the idiot fishing by a marina you have the right of way. The reality was all my bites came right after boats went by and stirred things up, when there were no boats I didnt catch squat.
Hell yes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88