All horsepower, no brains

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something to ponder, think about that in reverse...........what gives one the right to be there an not the other. If your occupying a spot stops them from recreating, isn't that the same thing? Wouldn't you be disrupting them? Your likely hiding from the wind also, not. What if they were in there recreating first and then you show up, are they suppose to stop? Don't fish bite out in the rough water just the same as the calm water? Just curious..........................

In all honesty, I'm not trying to be an ass and I fish more than many on this board, just trying to remind folks that it often times it isn't ideal for anyone. We have short summers and lots of water activities intermingling on our lakes and trying to make the best of a day that might not be perfect. If it isn't dangerous or a life and safety issue, exercise some patience, take a deep breath put the situation into perspective. To that point, a wake boat going by the OP twice in a single day (2 minutes of inconvenience out of his 1440 minute day) was enough to wreck his day and carry into his Monday. Is it really worth getting that worked up over it?

let me get my popcorn to see how this all plays out though. Carry on, I'll sit back and enjoy the show ...popcorn...
I'd say whoever is there first gets the nod.
Unless it's a community hole known for fishing. In that case the wake boat should move on if the community shows up to ply the waters. : )

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wakes from wake boats REALLY suck for everyone but the person surfing them. Owners of said wake boats often forget this.

If conditions don’t allow for your fun to occur without negatively affecting other people’s recreation then maybe it’s not a day for wake boating.
I don't own a wake boat and I don't own a boat big enough to fish a big lake, but your post goes both ways. If it's too windy for one person's recreation, such as said wake boatingh, then it's probably too windy for every persons recreation, or said fishing...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a situation of whoever was there first has the right of way. If the wake boat was away from the crowds doing its thing and someone comes over and parks in their path and starts fishing I wouldn't expect the wake boat to stop. Now if a bunch of people were fishing a spot and here comes Mr. wake boat sending 4' rollers into all the fisherman you definitely deserved the bird haha.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a big Ranger. We knew we were too close and we didnt like it either. After the second pass we left the area completely and quit surfing till the wind went down in the evening.
you dont have much wind via the picture

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own a wake boat and I don't own a boat big enough to fish a big lake, but your post goes both ways. If it's too windy for one person's recreation, such as said wake boatingh, then it's probably too windy for every persons recreation, or said fishing...
It seems that you are not real familiar with conditions necessary for wake surfing vs fishing.

A fishing boat underway during actual fishing doesn't disrupt everyone else within several hundred yards. Wake boats do that continuously unless they're sitting still.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
a trolling fishing boat is pretty easy to spot and avoid, compared to a tug boat going 20 mph and putting up a big wave.
No one goes to where these big wave boats are to go fish, however... the reverse is not the cause.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of people don't have the perception to know what 100 feet actually is on the water, it is way closer than most people think, if you can't hit them with a jigging rap on they are probably over 100 feet away.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
True story ---- 1983 ----- fishing reeds for bass ---we had some other buds come by and slalomed out dudes shoulder was 2 inches from the water(perfect) sprayed us big time. They came around for round 2 - my partner thows a spinnerbait at the boats winsheild and the driver somehow grabbed that dacron line up and over his head and the passengers in the nick of time; the skier dropped. That was it for the slalom bullshit

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never to windy to fish.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of people don't have the perception to know what 100 feet actually is on the water, it is way closer than most people think, if you can't hit them with a jigging rap on they are probably over 100 feet away.

That law was probably passed in the 60s when a 35 horse motor was big and wake boats were unheard of.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all depends on the situation. Like many have mentioned, it depends on who is there first, the rules for that body of water, and whatnot. It seems as though there is always one Karen that has to be the prick though. It would be like if one person is trying to fish at the swimming beach where everyone is in the water and boats and PWC are everywhere and some A-hole wants everyone ticketed everyone for breaking the letter of the law.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your behavior hinted at your intelligence on sat but now seeing your profile pic it really drives it home. My kids seen you flip us off and display your childlike tantrum. I apologize for the windy day on sat, had we all not been trying to stay out of it we would have never been near you. We fish just as much or more than we play so I understand the other side. I do want to thank you for this awesome pic of our family though. Maybe the next time you see us on the water you can try to be more sportsman like. I will keep you posted on that rectal cancer wish. Happy fishing.

My behavior consisted of doing absolutely nothing the first time other than shaking my head thinking it's a shame someone so oblivious and rude can afford such a nice boat and the gas it burns and the pickup that pulls it.

As you approached on the second pass I raised both hands in the air making the universal sign for "what the fuck are you doing!?"

When the driver raised both his arms mocking me is when I flipped the bird and grabbed the phone.

Instead of a wave or anything signifying an apology, everyone on board laughed. The rear passenger wagged the "hang loose" sign. It was clear nobody on board felt bad at the time.

My options to get your attention were limited. While we were certainly close enough for a polite conversation, there's no way you would have heard me over the Eminem song you were blaring through the speakers. The jigging rap to the boat as mentioned in another post was certainly an option but not the one I chose either time.

I'm glad you like the picture and since you acknowledged in another post you were too close I'm hopeful you'll be more considerate in the future. Thanks for the reply.

Edit:
And I hope you and your family live long, happy and healthy. Unless you voted for Biden in which case I stand by my initial statement.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Definitely within range. Hell, could have hit the mark with a small crankbait. Chose not to do that.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a big Ranger. We knew we were too close and we didnt like it either. After the second pass we left the area completely and quit surfing till the wind went down in the evening.
Anglers are reasonably well organized as it applies to lobbying state congress. I don't recall seeing anything regarding the ND State Wake Boarding/Boating Association, but, there are a plethora of fishing clubs and organizations.

Sooner or later you're likely to inconvenience, endanger, or outright damage the wrong person's equipment. Like a legislator, or a donor, at which point you'll find yourself buried under a whole new set of rules, with a team of wardens just itching to write the tickets and the fishing/boating public behind them 100%.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84