Alpha Glass

Gr8tz

Established Member
I recently sold all of my Vortex optics and made the the jump to Swarovski10x42 NL Pure Binos. Who else here has made the jump to alpha glass and curious to see if the benefits out weigh the costs.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Outweighing the cost is a relative term IMO. I have Vortex 10X42 and am happy with them. For me the area of ND where I like to hunt deer is pretty much an "every 5 or 6 years" I might draw a buck tag. Just don't hunt big game as often as I once did so don't use my binoculars all that often. Probably use them to check for bikinis on party pontoons that cruise by in the summer way more that hunting.

Is looking through my Votex's the same as looking through Swaro's. Not even close for me. Vortex's are good, Swaro's are better. I can probably afford Swaro's but I just don't use them enough to justify buying a set. Worth it comes down to a personal preference only you can decide.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The further away you like to look the better you will like premium optics.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I upgraded to a Swaro scope a few years ago...my Dad said "why do you need that? just be a better hunter!" I explained that it wasn't for longer range shooting, just wanted to be able to see/shoot in marginal light conditions. The following season he can't see a buck standing halfway up a big hill with the sun above the hill (11 a.m.)...he had WAAY too much glare in his shit scope to see the deer, while I could count hairs on it with mine. That evening in the waning light he again couldn't see the deer slipping through the shady woods while I could. Now I also have Swaro EL Range binocs that I got for a retirement gift...love them!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
no i dont have any swaro optics best i have is a old set of Burris binoks. I have a problem when i look cheaper optics it really bothers my eyes, literally cant see much for a few minutes

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shmoly these are $3099 on amazon - is that correct?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
At this point in life I want the capability for a clean kill @ 400 and will start weeding out boat tail bullets through the years. I don't enjoy the superfluous (anything), don't handload and will do my best with shot placement. My current "boat tail" (Fusion) arsenal should take a few years to deplete.

A fine optic is a wonder to behold and brings out the best of a gun.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
At this point in life I want the capability for a clean kill @ 400 and will start weeding out boat tail bullets through the years. I don't enjoy the superfluous (anything), don't handload and will do my best with shot placement. My current "boat tail" (Fusion) arsenal should take a few years to deplete.

A fine optic is a wonder to behold and brings out the best of a gun.
what do you have against boat tail bullets?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
People can certainly spend their money however they want, but there's a huge spectrum of cost vs performance when it comes to glass, and IMO, it seems to be nearly linear until you get up above $1000 - $1500. Then the performance part really flattens out. For example, a $400 set of binos are probably about 2x better than a $200 set. However, a $3000 set of binos are only going to be slightly better than a $1500 set. Rifle scopes seem to follow a similar trend.
If you want Swaro, then get Swaro, but there's a lot of options out there.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't tell that much difference between my $600 Euros compared to $1500 Swaro but did not have both out at dusk or dawn to compare.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The difference is certainly noticeable. Not enough to swing me into making the jump though. I'd never judge anyone for upgrading gear. Make it how you want and spend it how ya want. I feel like I've never had a problem getting a good judgement with my $400 vortex binos. If I identify something way out there, I either get closer or bust of the 65mm razor HD. The only room I see I could upgrade is that there is a significant advantage to a 85mm swaro for sheep and goat hunting, but I don't think I'm willing to take the weight penalty. Also I can tell my eyes are aging, maybe from being a desk jockey, and there is noticeably improved eye relief with the swaro binos.

It would cost me $5,000 to upgrade what I have (that works and I've piled a ton of animals with) to swaro. That much $$$ could buy a hunting trip to Kodiak and have money leftover to take me and my wife on a fishing charter. That's how I make decisions and I'm going with experience over things on this one. At least for now.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
The difference is certainly noticeable. Not enough to swing me into making the jump though. I'd never judge anyone for upgrading gear. Make it how you want and spend it how ya want. I feel like I've never had a problem getting a good judgement with my $400 vortex binos. If I identify something way out there, I either get closer or bust of the 65mm razor HD. The only room I see I could upgrade is that there is a significant advantage to a 85mm swaro for sheep and goat hunting, but I don't think I'm willing to take the weight penalty. Also I can tell my eyes are aging, maybe from being a desk jockey, and there is noticeably improved eye relief with the swaro binos.

It would cost me $5,000 to upgrade what I have (that works and I've piled a ton of animals with) to swaro. That much $$$ could buy a hunting trip to Kodiak and have money leftover to take me and my wife on a fishing charter. That's how I make decisions and I'm going with experience over things on this one. At least for now.
Good to see a guy from alaska with my point of view… my buddy guides there every year for a month and has best of the best. He is also single and doesn’t know what to do with all his money. I think a lot of it depends on training your eye to notice things.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74