Alternative methods of taking game

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do 45-70, 6.5X55 Swede Mauser, 300 Savage, or 257 Roberts qualify as alternatives? Not many stores carry ammunition for those.

Nodakdad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody here ever try anything different? Here are a few examples:

- friend took a doe with an M1 Garand (you know who you are)

I got myself a nice doe 2 years ago with a 43 Springfield Garand. Heavy rifle to walk around with but it was a fun change of pace. Last year got a doe with a 1950 K31 topped with a Swiss Products mount and a 3X9 scope.This year going to try again to get a shot with my 45LC Blackhawk.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice to know I'm not the only weirdo who gets creative. Just gave my neighbor a smokin' deal on my AR10 today. Forgot to ask if he's on NDA. Anyway, now I gotta replace it. I really want a SCAR17 but man is that price tag a hit to the nuts.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know why more don't go after spring turkey with their carry gun. For the life of me, this is perfect! You don't have to hit them in the head for a kill and you always have two hands free until the shot! Same placement as with a bow!

Does everyone know this is legal?

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother outfitted a blowgun with a fishing reel and rod tip, then modified some darts with barbs and line attached. Hed shoot fish and rel em in. It was pretty fun.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Brian Renville: that story was hilarious

MSA: im 100% sure that your family is some sort of genetically altered super humans. Homemade blowdart gun for fishing!?! That's pretty BA!

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its a old book " A sporting chance" by Daniel Mannix published in the early 60's Interesting read. He hunts deer with a blow gun in La. Ducks with a boomerang, Coyotes with a trained Cheetah,traditional Archery, crossbows, falconry etc.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer, you should see the video we made fishing for big blue n green lizards. Genetically altered? No, more like dropped on our heads and ate paint chips as kids.

I think one of your relatives was at my shop the other day. He brought in a 2001 20' lund with a 200 merc looking for some paint. He mentioned he was your uncle or brother or something, i forgot, i was focused on something on the boat and wasnt paying close attention when he mentioned it.

Last edited:

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple of years ago I was sitting in my tree stand and spotted a porcupine a couple trees over. Waited 3 hours with no deer so when the porcupine started moving I pinned him to the tree with an arrow.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
336 yds 168gr hornady match bthp, hand load, doe 6th shot running broadside, 1 perfect hit, hra M1 Garand, dropped in tracks ended up facing opposite direction DOA. match bullet shed its jacket and left a nice lead shroom under opposite side hide

150 yds 168gr hornady match bthp, hand load, doe 2nd shot running broadside, 1 perfect hit, 1903 rock island arsenal from circa 1917 i believe, dropped in tracks DOA, behind shoulder, half dollar exit, suspect perfect mushroom from match bullet, no jacket found

NOT PROUD OF THE FOLLOWING
inland m1 carbine..........doe...........30 rounds (2 full mags)..........running at ranges of 100-200 yards..........6+ hits......... factory softpoints which performed exactly like fmj, not a single mushroom. ended with knife in corn stubble.......out of ammo........dont plan on using m1 carbine for deer ever again. doe was verbal......and on hoof when i caught up to it.....turrable

- - - Updated - - -

turkey tom spring. beretta 92fs. 15 rds after bird flying. 1 hit in thigh (leg dropped, peeled off group and dropped into cover/ravine). single dark spot on single piece of snow in deep ravine. 15 more rounds at dark spot. 3 more hits all in body. all rapid fire. 60-100 yards

tag filled. basic plan was to mag dump my spring gobbler. successful x2

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Vollmer, you should see the video we made fishing for big blue n green lizards. Genetically altered? No, more like dropped on our heads and ate paint chips as kids.

I think one of your relatives was at my shop the other day. He brought in a 2001 20' lund with a 200 merc looking for some paint. He mentioned he was your uncle or brother or something, i forgot, i was focused on something on the boat and wasnt paying close attention when he mentioned it.

Must have been my uncle Matt.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
old high school friend doesnt brake for deer. has killed or maimed DOZENS......if not more....

i do not approve. they do have depredation problems and the g&f has been little to no help

anyhow, g&f went after him HARD couple winters ago he took out no less than 7 deer in 1 pass within a 100 yard stretch of road. deep snow in the ditches kept the hearded up group on the road

g&f did not succeed in their prosecution. he's still at it. again, i do not approve but try not to judge (depredation is still in play)

they do allow hunters, neighbor doesnt/hasent for YEARS

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93