Ammo shortage ???

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a lot of ammo on the shelves but certain loads and calibers are still hard to find.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it over? Seems to be in MHO. Have looked around GF lately and the shelves looked full.
What is
everyone else seeing?
Is it over? Kind of, but not really.

Generally speaking, one can find ~2-5 different choices of the most popular chamberings in good quantity. The most popular chamberings used to offer 20-30 options with 5-7 in good quantity. So, it's certainly much better but far from "over", and maybe it never will be "over". Maybe manufacturers and retailers are going to force the least popular chamberings into a reloading only situation.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is it over? Kind of, but not really.

Generally speaking, one can find ~2-5 different choices of the most popular chamberings in good quantity. The most popular chamberings used to offer 20-30 options with 5-7 in good quantity. So, it's certainly much better but far from "over", and maybe it never will be "over". Maybe manufacturers and retailers are going to force the least popular chamberings into a reloading only situation.
I was in Scheels in Fargo last Saturday and there were 17 different brand and bullet weights of 6.5 Creedmoor. That is just crazy, how would you like to be the guy trying to find a load for his 6.5 rifle if he does not reload.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in Scheels in Fargo last Saturday and there were 17 different brand and bullet weights of 6.5 Creedmoor. That is just crazy, how would you like to be the guy trying to find a load for his 6.5 rifle if he does not reload.
I guess I’d prefer lots of options to 1 choice that may or may not work. Like .284Win w/140 Power-Points was the ONLY choice for a long time.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
prices still high?
Depends on what you are looking for. Most ammo is still 40-100% more than the pre pandemic. 9mm has started to get back to $10 a box but .223 hasn’t gotten back to less then .40 a round in most places.
Steel shotgun ammo is still $20 for the cheap stuff. 22lr is $30 a brick. The cheapest rifle ammo for the common calibers is over $20 a box unless you find a clearance sale. I could see ammo prices fall as the shelves fill up with expensive ammo that no one wants.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it over? Seems to be in MHO. Have looked around GF lately and the shelves looked full.
What is
everyone else seeing?
It’s over for the common rifle and pistol loads but a lot of it is very overpriced and is not moving off the shelves. Hopefully they can now focus on producing the less common calibers. It’s going to take another big scare to sell boxes of 9mm ammo that’s priced $20 and over. Also .223 ammo more than $.50 a round isn’t going to sell either

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75