Another grill recommendatiion thread!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen a pellet grill that will bury a 700 degree thermometer though both of my Webers and my BGE all will. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the fire doesn't/can't touch the meat, you're baking and ought to be in the kitchen with a plaid apron and some cookie dough. Rookies..........

I agree with you to a point you can get a flame to touch the meat on a pellet grill if you take out the heat diffuser which is what people have been doing. But this is also the big sell of a pellet grill you can get food just as good if not better and it is a lot easier to master almost set it and forget it your temp stays in a constant range.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
But this is also the big sell of a pellet grill you can get food just as good if not better and it is a lot easier to master almost set it and forget it your temp stays in a constant range.

You mean it's like an oven, that you bake stuff in where also the flame cannot touch the meat?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of all my cookers, the Weber gasser is by far the most used. Without a doubt. I would never be without one. And i own a pellet grill, BGE, among other things....

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mean it's like an oven, that you bake stuff in where also the flame cannot touch the meat?

The lousiana pellet grill i saw at fleet farm allows you to slide the grate that covers the fire and supposedly allows for flame up grilling.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lousiana pellet grill i saw at fleet farm allows you to slide the grate that covers the fire and supposedly allows for flame up grilling.
Yep most pellet grills you can take the heat diffuser plate off or out just like you do with a big green egg.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havnt used a gas grill since i baught my ceramic. Infact its sitting infront of my house right now. I have it on bisman for $20 but if anyone hear wanted it id settle for a six pack.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm also a Weber guy. Have a 2002 Genesis Platinum that "didn't heat up," spent 50 bucks on burners and now it works awesome. Also have a Q220 that I take fishing and camping, and use for hotdogs or hamburgers at home, and then a 22.5" Silver charcoal grill that i picked up at a garage sale.

If I had a budget of $1000 for a grill, I would consider spending a little more and get the summit series of weber. If not the summit, get the genesis from a locally owned place, so you can get the EP models, will all stainless steel grates and flavorizer bars. Places like Lowes sells Weber, but they have cast iron grates and porcelain coated steel bars for $50 less than the EP models.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weber makes a smoker box that slides right in and accepts small chunks or lots of standard smoking chips. It's not the same as a pellet smoker nor a charcoal/lump grill, however it does add some smoke flavor for those looking to get by with only 1 grill. I usually use a "stronger" wood in that smoker box, especially for something that I grill rather fast like steaks or burgers, I need the smoke flavor to infuse over ~10-12 min so something like Mesquite works well in that application.

If I was trying to do a longer/lower temp true "smoke" with that tool I'd probably put more wood in some tinfoil pans directly over the heat and of course the meat would be as far away from the heat as possible for indirect cooking.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weber makes a smoker box that slides right in and accepts small chunks or lots of standard smoking chips. It's not the same as a pellet smoker nor a charcoal/lump grill, however it does add some smoke flavor for those looking to get by with only 1 grill. I usually use a "stronger" wood in that smoker box, especially for something that I grill rather fast like steaks or burgers, I need the smoke flavor to infuse over ~10-12 min so something like Mesquite works well in that application.

If I was trying to do a longer/lower temp true "smoke" with that tool I'd probably put more wood in some tinfoil pans directly over the heat and of course the meat would be as far away from the heat as possible for indirect cooking.

looked at the weber 210. its a bit small but its just me and i dont entertain. Gonna get the smoker box for sure!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
looked at the weber 210. its a bit small but its just me and i dont entertain. Gonna get the smoker box for sure!

you get that fancy weber and it wont be just you for long, that thing is a chick magnet, if your into that kind of thing...haha

going to grill some ribeyes tonight, cant wait.
this shake diet makes my one meal a day a huge anticipation.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
you get that fancy weber and it wont be just you for long, that thing is a chick magnet, if your into that kind of thing...haha

going to grill some ribeyes tonight, cant wait.
this shake diet makes my one meal a day a huge anticipation.
MilkShake diet??? That is a diet I could probably follow and stay on track:D I would probably lose wieght too eating all that ice cream would make me poop a lot;:;rofl
0d36f7ef7266ea8ae979fd5599539606.jpg

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a built in grill? I have had this one for over two years. It's built like a tank, double insulated lid and works great even in the winter. The brand is Lion but there are other brands cheaper and some double the price of mine. Every piece is heavy duty 304 stainless. For as much as I grill it was just what I needed. Still thinking of getting an egg and installing in the other counter top some day to have more options. I entertain often btw
image.jpg

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thx. It was a long project over time and allot of help from neighbors. If we're not fishing were out here drinking beer;:;boozer

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shake diet. rides a harley. doesn't fish. probably golfs. I don't know Juan. I used to think pretty highly of you...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am heading to McKenzie tomorrow with the boy, for a day and a half of fishing, then not again until the 4th of July.

and you are right, I suck anymore.

My buddies quit calling

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93