Anybody got experience with Electric UTV's??

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at getting an electric UTV like a bad boy buggy or something similar, but have absolutely no experience running such a beast. Looking for the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for these things. Any info is appreciated as Youtube and google are no substitute for good ole ND experience and honesty. Thanks Fellas!!!

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked to a local dealer a couple of years ago and he said the electric UTV's were not made for ND winters and at that time to replace the batteries was around $10K. I never looked into it any further than that.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I was told that as well, but I have a neighbor that has had a bad boy for over 8 years and it's still going strong. He did mention that the range has decreased to around 12-15 miles on a full charge over time. I was hoping that batteries would have advanced a bit more since I last looked at these. Thanks 41 Hunter for the reply!

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did think they would be great for heading out to the deer stand, maybe just not for ice fishing.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy really has to consider the batteries with all things electric. You get a machine like this or even a car with a bad battery and you’re looking at thousands to replace them. In most cases it isn’t even worth it as a new battery costs more than the machine is worth after a few years of depreciation.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll stick with my fossil fuel rig.... however,for sneaking out to my stand or just out in the back country I've been eyeballing these electric bikes with fat tires...even for a grocery getter as they have a 50 mile range per charge...good point on battery replacement cost,can't be near $10k tho...Gotta check into it tho.,Might replace my factory muffler on my wheeler with a stealth muffler next summer,but this isn't a priority in my case,just a thought for stealth.

OR~

Also been eyeballing this rig vs a sxs utv... 4x4,heated cab less money than a utv.what do you guyz think? yah or nay? suz1.jpg

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 48 volt system if using 6 volt batteries such as trojans will run you around 1500-1700. Those particular batteries have a 5-10 year life expectancy with an 80% discharge rate. The question of costs have to compare that 1700 bucks with how much gas, oil, and lube you use on your gas powered UTV. I burn between 500-1000 bucks on my ATV right now just in fuel per year. So battery costs to me aren't much of a deterrent. I'm more looking for use limitations such as power hauling or towing, going up hills, speed, and general durability winter or summer.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll stick with my fossil fuel rig.... however,for sneaking out to my stand or just out in the back country I've been eyeballing these electric bikes with fat tires...even for a grocery getter as they have a 50 mile range per charge...good point on battery replacement cost,can't be near $10k tho...Gotta check into it tho.,Might replace my factory muffler on my wheeler with a stealth muffler next summer,but this isn't a priority in my case,just a thought for stealth.

OR~

Also been eyeballing this rig vs a sxs utv... 4x4,heated cab less money than a utv.what do you guyz think? yah or nay?1701206143468.png

Have some buddies with these and theirs have a/c also and 4x4. They like them but like everything else they have their limitations.
You can get them with crew cabs and automatic transmissions now too.
I wouldn't mind one for putzing around town in. If still on the farm/ranch I would definitely have one.
Shop around if interested as some places literally rip you off when buying from them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use my golf cart around the yard, running the dog, trapping gophers and checking cows. I think it has about a 6gal tank and I might fill it3 times per year. As soon as the snow is gone and until its back I use it every day. Not super fast but it does what I want it to do. LB

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy's dad got a bad boy buggy when they first came out. Battery went to shit before the warranty expired so had it replaced. I think he got rid of it for a ranger with cab. Thing was an over priced glorified golf cart IMO.

I've been looking into a mini truck now too. Bigger box then a UTV has and about half the price plus cab, air and heat already. You can even out tracks on them.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a mini truck and it was so front heavy it was ridiculous. Everything is in the very front. The engine, trans, and the driver/passenger. Without 4 wheel drive it got stuck in 6 inches of snow. It was so light in the back you had no traction. I didn't have tracks on mine so I don't know if that would have made a difference. On dry ground and for tooling around scouting geese it was great.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good to know KDM....wouldn't consider this thing w/o 4x4,still looking into repair issues/service if needed, payload,haven't found what the curb weight is yet for trailering.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to know KDM....wouldn't consider this thing w/o 4x4,still looking into repair issues/service if needed, payload,haven't found what the curb weight is yet for trailering.

Curb weight is ~1500-2000# and they'll carry ~700#-800#. They're utilitarian and reasonably easy to work on yourself. Throwback to the days when your problems are either gas, air, or spark. Most of the engines are similar or exactly the same as current production ATV/UTV motors.

A buddy had one w/tracks ~10-12yrs ago. Summbitch would go anywhere you had the balls to point it.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my 05 suzuki mini truck has a mid mount engine and 4x4 its not a tough as a utv but is really handy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33