Good, bad, or somewhere in-between day.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So...a couple weeks ago I mentioned in a thread that I wasn't sure if I just had a good, bad, or something in between kind of day. A few inquired and I thought I'd share the trip report now that I have figured it out.

I took my girlfriend and her two boys out to New John's on a windy afternoon. We were killing the fish, nice walleyes, several pike, a musky, and small smallie all graced us with their presence. After about five hours, my GF's parents and a sister came up to join us. We didn't make it 400 yds from the dock and POOF! The 2013 Mercury 150 4-S decided to create a new vent in the side of the block. Frigging thing only has like 267 hours on it, I've now owned it for just under 2 months and about 15-20 hours.

Oh well, WTF I said and we used the electric to troll around and catch a few more fish for a couple hours.

The following Monday, I take it in to River City (where I bought it) and they were surprised that the motor crapped out. It was a used model that had actually been owned by one of their own employees, so they knew it's maintenance record. The service manager looked it up and what the heck, it's still under warranty. All they had to do was download all the computer crap, take a gas sample, etc and send it in to Mercury for a decision.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought for sure after Merc's little run-in with their Optimax grenades a few years back that if anyone was good at ducking warranty work it would be them.

Well, yesterday I picked it up from River City. Mercury took care of the powerhead and all I was on the hook for was a couple extras I had them do (water pump, etc). Just so you all know, a new powerhead installed on a 150 HP Merc 4-S is roughly a $9k expense. One that I am damn glad to not be on the hook to pay!

While I haven't yet dunked the Toon and started the break-in of the new powerhead, I want to publicly thank River City and Mercury. Together they have done a great job of taking care of me!

Now if only the new powerhead lasts a bit (like 2,000 hours) longer than the last one!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, definitely an "in-between" sort of day. Fishing was great, service from River City was great, being without the Toon's services for a couple weeks was bad.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to here thing worked out! It doesn't matter how new or old a toy is it can break at any time. I've got a 89 mercy that runs like a champ. Knock on wood I fear the day I have to make it in with the kicker.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good outcome for you, but you only had an in-between day. Had the motor crapped out while it was just you and the little lady in the boat, and she she felt sorry for you, and decided to give you a knobber while you drifted across the lake, you would have had a good day.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to add that this was only the second time her parents had been on the Toon with us. On the first trip, I threw a brand new anchor into the Missouri River only to never retrieve it. ��.

Hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

.... you would have had a FANTASTIC day.

Fixed your grammar for ya.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanna know what riverfibber thinks of River City.

As for your day, I probably would have lost a little sleep until I heard it was covered.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
sometimes good things happen to good people... if you take other people fishing you r a good people...

fwiw, break ins are my least favorite chore of boating... but a brand new freebe would prolly change my mind...

good for you allen...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! That'd be a "Tweener" day in my book. Glad you're back up and runnin' though. Sucks to be without equipment.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All's well that ends well...maybe wait a while before inviting the GF's parents out with you again!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88