My Superman, From FBO

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son pictured with his mom and I lost his right leg in 2014 due to a bone cancer osteosarcoma. While fighting cancer I watched him go through things no parent should ever experience with their child. Despite what opinions may be shared about make a wish he found them to come up short when they wanted to limit his wish. It was then I began to research other options as his mom and I were shopping one night a friend told us about the catch dream foundation and how we should submit an application. That is exactly what I did and the response was absolutely amazing after speaking with their projects manager I was sure if they granted him this dream of a trophy whitetail hunt it would be memorable. I had no idea the lengths this group of unknown people would go to make his dream come to fruition.
Like gang busters when they contacted me and let me know he would achieve his dream it moved fast we hopped on a plane in Atlanta Ga. His two sisters his mother Avery and myself all 5 of us not sure what really was in store, when we landed in Springfield Missouri and met with the staff and the volunteer it was immediate that we knew this would be one of the most memorable adventures of our families lives. After spending a few hours at the bass pro we went to the little flat creek ranch and lodge where the accommodations were world class and began to meet all the caretakers and catchadream reps Mr. Marty Brunson is truly passionate about what he does as well as the entire staff at the lodge. The next morning began with breakfast then before shooting at the range we go to the lake to do a little fishing and man we fished bass like you see bill dance and Roland Martin catch on TV and catfish that any noodler in Oklahoma would write home for. After checking the rifles it was time for the hunt of every hunters dream as we pulled onto the ranch in the buggies there were 2 awesome bucks on our right Marty was in the prank in mood as he instructed me to act like I loaded Avery's rifle and tell him to take one of those deer so I did as instructed. It was then that Marty had the prank to turn on him Avery lined the first of the two bucks in the cross hairs then the second as he lowered the rifle he said I'll wait. To all our surprise we proceeded only to be stopped once again by the sight of what you only see in the sporting magazines there stood at about 100 yards perfect broadside a buck That would measure up to at least 150 without the drop tines on both sides and the second guide Steve told Avery he can actually take that deer if he wants to our dismay and angering his sisters Avery decides to pass. He said we have not made it to the stand yet if those are in the front of the ranch I want to see what is hiding. We finally arrive at the blind where they more than prepared to host a hunting party of one little boy on crutches with his tag along sisters and his mom and dad .while in the blind Avery decides to pass on a total of 8 trophies including the first 3 or 4 trophies. No exaggeration about the trophy part then an hour and a half in the blind logged out steps a real brut of a 10 point perfectly symmetrical and with mass width and once again he said I'll wait he began to catch a little grief and some serious razzing by all in the blind, even being questioned are you that patient or that stupid he carefully turned to me and stated I'm that patient Dad I haven't seen what I'm waiting on yet but when I do you will be proud. At that moment Steve told Marty there is another buck with mass and there were so many people in one blind
The guides and the hunter were the only ones to see him and one glimpse Avery says I'm shooting that one he begins to prepare for the shot he removes the safety after securely resting his rifle and squeezes the shot and nothing but click they had not pulled the slide on that old 742 model Remington 30-06 Marty reaches up and loads it noisily the majestic buck looks up from feeding briefly and then continues feeding. When his breathing was right as right as possible glaring through the scope at what deer hunters have only ever peered at in the wee hours as they dream of their opening day quarry he squeezes one more time the thunderous report of the rifle was as true as his well-placed shot the bruiser dropped then jumps back up at that moment mass chaos Steve panicking told Marty to shoot him again don't let him get away the trophy almost doubled up proceeded about 8 yards and behind obstructions from sight we lost vision of the monster and I thought no way that deer walks away from that. Our guides left us in the blind to go confirm or deny as they approached with heads hanging sad and stressed looks on their faces they tell Avery we found blood but no deer Steve holds his phone up and says Avery look at all the blood and revealed a picture of a truly amazing Missouri whitetail Avery was so excited they asked if he wanted to wait for them to go get the buggy or walk, I bet you can guess by now what he chose. He was shaking and when we got to his harvest Marty asked what did you say you were waiting on 12 or 16 point Avery answered I remember saying both at one time Marty replied well son you got him. On November 2nd he got his wall jewelry off the truck and he was scored at 212 inches before deductions 202 after deductions I would say patience always pays off. When we left two days after he harvested that prince of the woods our family had developed such relationships with the Godly men and women full of character from both catchadream and little flat creek ranch and lodge we felt like only you can if you were leaving home and family, there was not one of those individuals including myself in that scene without a good feeling of something gripping your heart and squeezing it until juice comes out of your eyes. Just a portion of the memories of that adventure have we shared with you all thanks for allowing us to
IMG_9998 (Small).jpg

http://www.fishingbuddy.com/my-superman

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am left speechless, that is one way to make a grown man cry. Congratulations to the young man on a magnificent trophy.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is way cool thank you for sharing congrats on that deer Avery!

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
That right there is what it's all about!!! Congrats to the young man!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
always like watching the catch a dream show good stuff and good people. Congrats to the kid

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations to the young man!! Showing patience and knowing what you want to take shows great maturity. Always like seeing the youngsters be successful and my hats off to the folks that made it happen!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84