Anyone ever had this happen.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I bought a new to me boat last weekend. Other than putzing around in a small bay last tuesday hadnt really opened it up and tried it out. Sunday was the day. The wife and I buzzed across the lake to do a little fishing. All of sudden she says theres water coming in the back of the boat. Gave and Oh Sh** and thought we were going down. flipped the bilge on wasnt keeping up. we were about 50 yards from shore so started the big motor as quick as i could and beached it and let the bilge run. I immedately started checking for leaks. Reached down and the fricken plug was gone! I know i put it in bc I forgot until the last minute at the boat ramp and ran back to put it in. I had a new plug felt a bit loose so i put the older one of the 2 plugs in.

After about 15 min the bilge had pumped enough water out to make it across the lake. Hoping i didnt damage anything like batteries or something like that(there was alot of water) My question is what the hell happened!!! I have owned and drove boats for close to 20 years and have forgotten a plug or 2 in my time but never had one fall out. Left for a puckered butthole on a sunday afternoon;)

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigging in the trees on Devils Lake. Had the plug bumped out on submerged branch. Twice. Boat only sat low enough to hit it between swells of the a-holes passing by at top speed. Luckily the plug was tied to the steering cable with some para-cord.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! Near as my feeble mind can figure, dry rot on the rubber loosens the fit, add vibrations, and a few wave pounds and there you have it. Plug done gone Bye Bye. The suckiness starts when you realize you don't have a replacement. Then you determine that loading your boat will be a race between offloading driver on dock, backing out, and the boat becoming an artificial reef. If you are fishing by yourself, the fun meter quadruples to near pegged as your mind races on how to put "A Finger" in the dam while you attempt to retrieve your boat. I now have TWO spares in the console of my boat.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
When that happens just drive around the lake and let gravity take over. It will siphon the water right out.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
happen at nelson lake in feb water froze in the hole cleaned hole out put plug in tighten it down went fishing about hour later buddy in the back say to me ( is water suppose to be on the floor?) NO, Sh*t . ripped around the lake and cleared water out put plug in. ice melted in the hole. hate that when it happens.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im sure you know this but thought i should mention since you said the new one was loose. Plugs are adjustable, the more you turn it clockwise the bigger it gets. The old plug may have loosend up, or kid played with it. Since you put it in last minute may have been loose.

Ive recently thougt about this happening and with the new ANS laws. Does anybody put there plugs in from inside the boat? Seems you would avoid ever losing it while on the water. And would be hard to notice you forgot to pull it while driving down the road.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once was distracted when getting my boat ready at the landing and put my plug in the livewell drain instead. -- They're right next to each other and the same size. Water started coming up through the floor. It took all 135 of those horses to get it up on plane and drain it out - with an assist from the bilge. I now put my plug in from the inside and carry at least two spares.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive recently thougt about this happening and with the new ANS laws. Does anybody put there plugs in from inside the boat? Seems you would avoid ever losing it while on the water. And would be hard to notice you forgot to pull it while driving down the road.

My grandpa has always put the plug in from the inside, even pre ANS laws. I thought that was what everyone did until I started fishing with other people.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I was wiring in (I know, scary) my dad's new graph yesterday, I asked if he wanted me to pull the plug from the inside since that's where he's always had it. He looked confused so I told him about the new ans bs. I think I can still hear him complaining.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the new and law re plug? I/o. I have put it in from inside once when going acRoss mo when the auto bilge kicked in an I forgot to put in plug. Between the auto and the switch bilges it maintained so no excess water accumulated

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once was distracted when getting my boat ready at the landing and put my plug in the livewell drain instead. -- They're right next to each other and the same size. Water started coming up through the floor. It took all 135 of those horses to get it up on plane and drain it out - with an assist from the bilge. I now put my plug in from the inside and carry at least two spares.

my maiden voyage in my new-to-me boat I did this. Freaked out when I had water coming up through the floor because I new damn well I put the plug in! put it in the wrong hole... ;:;rofl

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having to pull the plug immediately. You can't readily access it when the plug is installed on the inside.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The plug in my Lund is easily inserted from the inside through a screw out hatch in the transom. Its also the same plug as my livewell so i have a quick swap if i would forget/lose it. I never have forgotten it, but with the new law it may be more likely. I never pulled my plug in the past as Lunds stay bone dry :D

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The plug in my Lund is easily inserted from the inside through a screw out hatch in the transom. Its also the same plug as my livewell so i have a quick swap if i would forget/lose it. I never have forgotten it, but with the new law it may be more likely. I never pulled my plug in the past as Lunds stay bone dry :D

my lund leaks like a bastard. need to fix all those leaky rivets one of these days.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

Old man has that screw cap as well. My short little t-rex arms can't reach it.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im sure you know this but thought i should mention since you said the new one was loose. Plugs are adjustable, the more you turn it clockwise the bigger it gets. The old plug may have loosend up, or kid played with it. Since you put it in last minute may have been loose.

I actually used to do this with my last boat i owned, probably not a bad idea.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grandpa has always put the plug in from the inside, even pre ANS laws. I thought that was what everyone did until I started fishing with other people.

Growing up my grandpa had a old wooden ski boat that liked to take on water. I always hated having to crawl ander and pull the plug while we raced around.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
"putting it in the wrong hole"

I wonder if that has ever been said when there's not a boat in the conversation?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88