What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
AR or Bolt Action
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="jtillman" data-source="post: 243526" data-attributes="member: 904"><p>Need some advice, hoping a few of you have been in this situation and can provide me with some input and feedback.</p><p></p><p>I have three girls, ages 13, 10 & 8. All three of them have shot rifles (22's), and enjoy shooting, as well as have a desire to hunt. The oldest has hunted deer and birds with me for the past couple of years, and specifically for deer hunting, had her shooting an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC (borrowed from a friend). It has worked out tremendously with the sliding stock and soft shooting AR for fitment and confident shooting. Before shooting the AR, I had her shoot a bolt action .243 in a youth size, and it was too short for her, and full size is just too big / awkward....so the AR fit really well for her and she loves it. </p><p></p><p>So here's the rub, before having the oldest hunting, I wasn't a <em>huge</em> AR guy (especially for hunting)....but after seeing how well it worked for my oldest, my opinion has definitely been swayed. I had planned on purchasing all 3 kids the same rifle, so when they are ready for deer hunting they have a rifle that they have shot for a few years and are confident with it....as well as I won't be showing any favoritism if all three have the exact same setup. </p><p></p><p>The traditionalist in me says a soft shooting Bolt Action (.243, 6.5, 7mm-08, etc.)....but after watching my oldest use the AR so effectively, I'm starting to lean to the AR. So looking for your thoughts....like I said, hoping some of you have been through this before.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="jtillman, post: 243526, member: 904"] Need some advice, hoping a few of you have been in this situation and can provide me with some input and feedback. I have three girls, ages 13, 10 & 8. All three of them have shot rifles (22's), and enjoy shooting, as well as have a desire to hunt. The oldest has hunted deer and birds with me for the past couple of years, and specifically for deer hunting, had her shooting an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC (borrowed from a friend). It has worked out tremendously with the sliding stock and soft shooting AR for fitment and confident shooting. Before shooting the AR, I had her shoot a bolt action .243 in a youth size, and it was too short for her, and full size is just too big / awkward....so the AR fit really well for her and she loves it. So here's the rub, before having the oldest hunting, I wasn't a [I]huge[/I] AR guy (especially for hunting)....but after seeing how well it worked for my oldest, my opinion has definitely been swayed. I had planned on purchasing all 3 kids the same rifle, so when they are ready for deer hunting they have a rifle that they have shot for a few years and are confident with it....as well as I won't be showing any favoritism if all three have the exact same setup. The traditionalist in me says a soft shooting Bolt Action (.243, 6.5, 7mm-08, etc.)....but after watching my oldest use the AR so effectively, I'm starting to lean to the AR. So looking for your thoughts....like I said, hoping some of you have been through this before. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
AR or Bolt Action
Top
Bottom