arrow question

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Lancaster for shafts and fletch my own. They do cut them for you before they ship however for $.25/arrow.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I have a 27.5 inch draw, how long should I have my arrows cut?

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt have arrows cut unless I have drawn and marked my arrow,not all manufactures measure drawlength from the same point on the bow.I typically cut mine 1/2" in front of riser,this assures me of no broadhead contact with the shelf or sight window,maybe not needed,but gives me piece of mind,and an extra 8-10grns of wieght not a big deal to me.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you want some nice premium built arrows, call Jerry at South Shore Archery. They are spendy, but he has darn near anything you want and I would bet his arrow knowledge against anybody.

Kurtr Im not sure if the Injexion arrows can still splinter like regular carbon arrows. The issues with the FMJ is the aluminum. It can and will bend, just like the old aluminums. I wouldn't worry too much about the bending, really only if you miss the target. If you stick with the FMJs, get a cheap arrow spinner. You can see if an arrow has some wobble pretty quick on a spinner. Or if you like to tinker and DIY get some skateboard bearings from #guywhoskates and build a spinner.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 nails and a 2x4 makes a decent arrow spinner. All you need a frame a reference for the broadhead.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
<iframe width="425" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4YNa_6PU2JA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/4YNa_6PU2JA

Interesting video on FOC. It kind of reinforces what I've always thought, that mass is more important than FOC and that's the main reason I shoot FMJ's. Great arrows in my opinion. Anyway, interesting video if nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

<iframe width="425" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4YNa_6PU2JA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting video on FOC. It kind of reinforces what I've always thought, that mass is more important than FOC and that's the main reason I shoot FMJ's. Great arrows in my opinion. Anyway, interesting video if nothing else.

Crap, the link didn't work. I'll see if I can get it in there somehow.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I have a 27.5 inch draw, how long should I have my arrows cut?

Depends where your rest sits. You have to measure during full draw the distance from the string to where your broadhead would rest free of the arrow rest. Better yet draw an arrow that is too long and have someone mark that spot on the arrow.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the Scheels brand arrows first I tried good tips but after I lost a few I switched to Scheels they were half the price and the deer didn't notice I shot the same group with both

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends where your rest sits. You have to measure during full draw the distance from the string to where your broadhead would rest free of the arrow rest. Better yet draw an arrow that is too long and have someone mark that spot on the arrow.
If were talking broadheads I disagree. The heads I shoot (currently 1 3/8 inch RamCats) you can completely ignore your rest because it's the riser you need to clear. Since the blades sweep back you need one on the string when you measure, or add at least a half inch like muzzyhunter suggested.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my current arrow setup is a blackeagle carnivore (carbon) .001 straightness 350 spine and I have a 50gr fact weight behind the insert and I run 125gr heads... I am really debating adding another 50gr up front... I like to be able to blow through shoulders if I need too... and PG if you run ramcats I have some 125gr ones I would sell

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the offer. I am not sure what I am going to use next fall. My shoulder is locking up and I can't get my arm up to even try pull my bow. That and I fell in the rocks shooting carp last spring and crushed the bursa in my left elbow. Who ever coined the phrase "Golden Years" I am going to find and choke the crap out of him. :)
So since New Years I purchased a pack of the 1/38 inch RamCat, a pack of the fixed blade 1 1/16 inch RamCat, a pack of the three offset blade Rage, and I will play around with my tried and true Thunderheads. All these on a Scorpid crossbow, with 22 inch Black Eagle Zombie Slayers, and Spinal Taps. I need to get this settled before turkey season in the event I get a tag.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt if you are in fact shooting 70lb at 29" DL I am pretty sure a 400 spine arrow is too weak. They may shoot ok for you now with field points, but you screw broad heads on and that;s when the spine issue will come up. Probably don't matter much out to 30 yards or so with broad heads also, but 40+ you will have problems. I would for sure buy 340s, maybe even 300s depending on your exact DW and DL. And also point weight.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a bunch of reading i was thinking the same thing. My brother in law has killed an elk with that set up and 125 fixed blade muzzys but the spine did seem low from charts i have seen. the 300 does seem the right place to be it is 29 with 70 pounds i did look. I just need to take the bow up to a shop and get it all set up right vs trying to mutle my way through it.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
If were talking broadheads I disagree. The heads I shoot (currently 1 3/8 inch RamCats) you can completely ignore your rest because it's the riser you need to clear. Since the blades sweep back you need one on the string when you measure, or add at least a half inch like muzzyhunter suggested.
What rest are you using?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok. I could see how you would have some clearance issues. Was seeing something different in my mind.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
the reason i don't want to use the ramcats i have is because of riser clearance issues... i really debated 1" longer arrows to fix the problem

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which RamCats do you have? I was looking at the single bevel also, but they are only an inch wide and that may be a little small.

labhunter66 I really enjoyed that video you posted. I keep hearing weight forward, but that defies physics I think. Thanks much for posting that.

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which RamCats do you have? I was looking at the single bevel also, but they are only an inch wide and that may be a little small.
Thinking about a single bevel? Remember that one time you told me single bevels were a gimmick and not worth it? So which is it?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31