ATV ramps for pickup

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering what type of ramps you guys use when loading your 4wheeler in the back of your pickup? This is what I have now.
IMG_0699.jpg
Problem is they're only 5 1/2' long so loading into the back of my 3/4 diesel makes me nervous that I'll flip it at some point. Nice part is they're the full width so you don't have to worry about falling off the ramps. Been debating about picking up some arched ramps that are longer but wanted to hear what everybody else is using before I purchase anything.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You always have to worry about falling off the ramps. It’s something like the number one or two most common ATV injury scenario. I use a ratchet strap to connect the ramps to the truck so they don’t slide out.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used a set like that for our 4 wheelers for years. Had to reweld it a few times in the many years of using. We were loading into an F350 and was pretty steep too.
Bought a set of ramps from Sparks trailer sales last year and they are nicely made. Think i paid under 100 bucks for the set.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the arched set and really like them. I used a set like the one pictured above and hated them. Too narrow and too steep for the half ton pickup and atv I had at the time.

with the arched ones, I have had no troubles getting a Polaris 850 into the box of my f250.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
might a well not go cheap on ramps as they are pretty critical for your safety. I have the two individual ramps with support connections inbetween. Using these ramps make me just want to trailer the four wheeler because if the ramp breaks you are screwed.

Do they make extra long ramps in full width?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was still working and using 4x4 I liked to use the wench to load when I was alone. I had an eye bolt put in the front of the box, with reinforcement of course.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just back into a ditch or curb, a foot difference in height makes a big difference.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to use them but after too many close calls I started using a tilt bed trailer. simple and safe

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
might a well not go cheap on ramps as they are pretty critical for your safety. I have the two individual ramps with support connections inbetween. Using these ramps make me just want to trailer the four wheeler because if the ramp breaks you are screwed.

Do they make extra long ramps in full width?

This. I never felt safe on those ramps.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a little 4'x8' trailer that I could use if I'm fishing a portable. My problem is I use the 4 wheeler when the ice isn't thick enough to pull permanent out with the pickup so I need to haul it in the pickup.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was still working and using 4x4 I liked to use the wench to load when I was alone. I had an eye bolt put in the front of the box, with reinforcement of course.

Very smart! My son in law had a 4 wheeler come over on him...........Coma for a couple weeks and three brain surgeries later we are very fortunate to still have him with us.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i used to load with a ramp i had one foot on the atv's running board and my other knee on the seat. That way if something went south i could bail off. Never sat on the atv to load. Way too dangerous.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used the straight ramp for years. We always backed in to a ditch or close to a hill of some sort to help with the angle.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So for you guys who use the arched ramps, do you use the folding ones or the fixed ones? I have concerns that the folding ones would collapse at some point.

sheds

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the arch tri folds and just kinked em. Dropped the front of my wheeler on my end gate luckily no damage done. Now I'm making my own gonna be heavy but I'm not going through that again.

DonC

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the arch tri folds and just kinked em. Dropped the front of my wheeler on my end gate luckily no damage done. Now I'm making my own gonna be heavy but I'm not going through that again.

I cut extruded steel to fit my bi fold ramp and bolted on the 3 panels. Kind of heavy now but stronger. Forgot to chain ramp to truck once. 3/4 way up and rear tires spun the ramp off went over backwards. Fell off to the side fortunately and whl missed me. I won't drive it on anymore, just stand on side and push throttle works for me. Just roll it off free wheeling.

shopping[1].jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93