Audubon

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I fished Audubon for the first time today on the northeast side near all the cabins. Caught 6-8 walleyes with 2 being keepers and a couple nice smallmouths. I felt like I was struggling trying to fish near the weedlines and structure. I know this isn't new news to guys who fish there but the amount of structure there is just nuts. I caught my few fish on the windy side of islands in 10-14 feet. I tried a few sunken humps but never really had any luck there.

Anyways, for those that fish Audubon, I'm just curious what type of structure you like to fish? Windy shorelines? Flats or humps? Spinners, cranks, casting? Depths? I would stop and slowly cruise around some of the deeper humps but never marked any fish or got any bites. I would assume that would be more of a mid-summer pattern but also thought a few fish might be on those humps. If anyone has any advice for me for my next trip, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Flat...I fished Audubon yesterday morning as well. Between my buddy and I we caught 6 walleye...kept 4 16 to 19 in, caught 4 smallies, 2 pike, several perch. For Audubon, what I have found is that usually during the early open water season, the fish will be in those shallow bays on the north east side...they get sun all day. As the season moves on, they will move out to deeper parts of the lake...but I've caught nice sized walleye in August on Audubon in 8 fow. Yesterday we caught fish using a spinner/crawler, jig and leech, jig and minnow, jig and plastic. Did not try cranks yesterday, water temps at the surface was 69-71. All in all a decent day on the water...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was up there last weekend and we got 2 small eyes and 2 nice smallies in the hour before my GF got seasick and we had to leave. Definitely wasnt fast n furious... I usually fish jigs up there.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Audobon can be a tough nut to crack. Have never had good luck fishing shallow for eyes up there. Have had my best luck fishing deeper for walleyes. Crawlers on lindeys or spinners.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My fishing buddy did real well Thursday up there. He always fishes deep. 18 to 20 feet deep dragging crawlers over a hump.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three of us went up there on Saturday morning and fished. Started slower, but we did get a couple. Then the front came and winds went to 25mph and died down 90mins later. We were busier during the wind, and after, than we were in the morning hours. I would think those changes in weather fronts put a dent in your excursion. To us, the fishing got better as the day progressed. We moved four times, though, to get our limit. It was never 'game on' in any one location, we had to move to keep the bite active. We also started out in 10'-12' in the morning and 14'-15' at midday, then out to 16'-20' by late afternoon.

A leech & slow death hook with a white bead had early honors. Later in the afternoon my slow death & red bead took off better than spinners. In fact, I don't think I even brought one fish above water with a spinner rig now that I think of it.

I prefer the islands, both sunken and above water, than trolling inside a bay.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks fellas. It'll probably just take some time to learn it and find some spots. I have a cousin who lives in Minot and so we'd both like to learn the lake better so we can meet there and fish together.

I thought the fish would be near the weeds so I focused on 10-14 feet but I'll have to try deeper next time as well. Anybody ever pitch jigs into the shallows? I gotta think fish are there. I'll have to take BDub's advice though and try fishing some of those deeper humps next time. Seems like there are a million of them in that lake.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive always had best luck in shallow rocky areas with a good chop on the water, usually 7-12 feet but Ive caught many fish throwing even shallower if theres a mudline and some clouds, 3-5 feet.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
We fished Audubon Saturday afternoon. We found our fish in 9-11 feet just outside the weed line off a shallow hump on the north end. I was surprised, but the evening/ sundown bite was non existent for us.

I've found that there's so much structure in that lake its hard to find the productive stuff some days. I dont fish it alot, (though I probably should fish it more) But I pay attention mostly to changes in bottom and the weedlines come summer time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53