Aug 1 seat belt law

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who snuck this into law and when?

You'd think this would have been in the news in the legislative phase.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buckle up even when backing out of the driveway just to park in the street. It has become so engrained in my subconscious that I start the buggy, and strap the belt regardless anymore

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was pretty well known as far as I know. We may have become comfortably numb to the discussion though as it's brought up every session

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might as well put on your bicycle helmets, flame retardent suits while at the bonfire and lighting off fireworks and wearing body armor out whilst afield hunting..gimme a break 🤦‍♂️ life jackets and seatbelts are and should remain a "choice" depending on your common sense..

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a good friends son was thrown out of a car and died I started wearing them. 35 years ago. I am more comfortable strapped in.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a good friends son was thrown out of a car and died I started wearing them. 35 years ago. I am more comfortable strapped in.
That fine. Your choice.

I seen someone run a stop sign,tbone a car and they died.
I seen a guy get run over by a train and got cut in half.
I seen....

This law is nothing but a "feel_good" liberal wet dream.
It's not about saving lives. It's about feel_good,$$/power.

A cop is a piece of crap If they pull over someone for not wearing a belt. Damn straight they only will do it in hopes of finding something "more substantial ".
Hear of anyone getting a ticket for doing 56 in a 55mph zone?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just wear it? Do people really find them that uncomfortable? I never wore mine until I got my CDL around the age of 21. only took a few days to get used to it. I'm not saying I agree with this new law, just saying wearing a seat belt is not that big of a deal IMO. During my 7 year truck driving career I saw lots of accidents. the worst was when an oncoming suv with 4 people in it lost control and rolled throwing the driver (only one not wearing a seatbelt) into my lane. The woman driving the car in front of me ran over the poor guy squishing him like a bug. The others all walked away.
Perhaps I have something to ponder, I just don't see myself getting thrown from a vehicle when I driving in town statistically assuming you are more likely to get thrown from a vehicle at high speeds in a roll over. Never the less I should consider that wearing my seatbelt is in my best interest when driving on high speed situations.
Also believe this enforcement will effect more drivers who are driving in city traffic then drivers who are on the Interstate or highway driving 70+ mph. JMTC

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps I have something to ponder, I just don't see myself getting thrown from a vehicle when I driving in town statistically assuming you are more likely to get thrown from a vehicle at high speeds in a roll over. Never the less I should consider that wearing my seatbelt is in my best interest when driving on high speed situations.
Also believe this enforcement will effect more drivers who are driving in city traffic then drivers who are on the Interstate or highway driving 70+ mph. JMTC

With a beltway around Bismarck using near-highway speeds (35-50 mph), there have been a number of fatal accidents over the years. Mostly due to people running red lights, resulting in t-bone collisions. Not sure if any resulted in evictions of a person from the vehicle, but one sure gets jostled around in this style of collision.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
August 1st changes things.
Starting August 1, 2023, the North Dakota seat belt law becoming a primary enforcement goes into effect. This change was passed by the ND Legislature this past session. This means no other violation is required for a driver to get pulled over by law enforcement and issued a seat belt citation. The law will also require all vehicle occupants to wear a seat belt, regardless of where they are sitting in the vehicle.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always wear mine but it should be a choice just like helmets on motorcycles.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree it should be a choice to wear one or not, I personally wear mine and don't have an issue with it. I thinking the reason for ALL occupants to wear it would be the ONE guy not buckled and getting thrown around in the cab and slamming their head into yours?

Wally World

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a friendly reminder that on August 1st north dakota will make seat belts a primary offense instead of secondary that it is now.
It's the loss of freedom. Seat-belt laws infringe a person's rights as guaranteed in the Fourth, Fifth, and the Ninth Amendments, and the civil rights section of the Fourteenth Amendment. This new additional law was made because the politicians tell you it's because they love you and your family...when in reality the Insurance Industry stands to save themselves Billions of dollars in reduced claims. It's all about money and power.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Car collectors, watch out. Your "Pioneer" vehicle you like to drive, they'll probably make ya put shoulder harnesses in so LEO can see if your strapped in.
We've damned near lost the right to breathe, even in the Good ole USA.
Getting pretty sickening . . .

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We wear our seatbelts but have often wondered, if one would put the shoulder strap behind them and just have the Lap belt over you, if that would count? I would think so as technically that is a "seat belt".
My bride when she sits in the passenger seat, puts the shoulder strap behind her, as her "port" for Chemo is on her right side and that shoulder strap lays right over it and irritates her "port". I guess we will find out if we ever get stopped.
She has tried different things to put on the seat belt to protect her "port" but none seem to work, so this is what she does.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder when these retards making these laws will put seat belts in School Buses?????????????
Does anyone know why school buses dont require/mandate seatbelts???? I think i read somewhere if a bus/etc held more than like 14 seats that belts aren't required? Is that so..why or why not? why 14 seats? Political????

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also forgot to mention this little doozy of slap in the face in north dakota drivers any infractions will be sent to the insurance company, before it was anything over 3 points now it's EVERYTHING. bang head

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also forgot to mention this little doozy of slap in the face in north dakota drivers any infractions will be sent to the insurance company, before it was anything over 3 points now it's EVERYTHING. bang head
We don't have anything more important that we can spend our time and resources on? FFS.....what a joke.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 233
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55