Aug 1 seat belt law

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can pull you over for anything anyway. I had a leo pull me over recently, citing that he thought my license plate was missing on the front, when it CLEARLY wasn't.
Ours are missing on the front. :eek:
We don't need a front one in AZ. ...rofl...

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next they will tell us where to shit. Your freedom is going away.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started wearing my sb when my kids were young and they had to be buckled. All the technology today ---- should be automated and have two strap come down on you when you get in. I have never been in an accident where my belt did something - but i can only imagine with one shoulder how fkd you could get that left shoulder.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated before by others, i always wear mine but we do not need another reason to be pulled over for. Freedoms taken away sucks.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to be mad because I think this is a BS law, but the speeding, running red lights, no blinkers, and a lot of other laws seem to be hard to enforce around here. God forbid you aren't wearing your seatbelt but you can fly around all over town on a motorcycle without a helmet. Do you think this will also be enforced on gravel? Hunting and tooling around the farm is the only times I don't wear mine.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure I buy into the freedom thing. I am more thinking along the lines of...a person needs a license to drive...well.... to drive you need to wear a seat belt........ just as a red light means you stop. You drive a vehicle..you need to be buckled up. Not that much of a inconvenience IMHO

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
And in order to get these stupid laws passed said person was voted in by us, common sense each his own. I also don't wear a helmet when riding my Harley either. My choice laws or not. Maybe they should retest 25% of people on road who can't drive right either and driving while on cell phone ever heard of anybody busted for that. See more accidents with that than any other.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
My body my choice, isn't that what they say..? Just another chink in your rights but will hardly be pursued.. Cannot see it standing up in court, too hard to prove without actual evidence that you were or were not wearing your belt..will lead to many dismissed unreasonable search and seizure cases ultimately.. Its a win win for lawyers and the state in the end. #gottagetdatmoney!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can pull you over for anything anyway. I had a leo pull me over recently, citing that he thought my license plate was missing on the front, when it CLEARLY wasn't.

I wonder if that the same LEO who pulled a driver over because he was looking straight ahead with his hands in the 10 and 2 position on the steering wheel ? Funny part is that he told the Judge that's why he pulled him over. The guy had pounds of weed in the car and the judge dismissed the charges if I remember right.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
everyone should wear one. no doubt about that.

but, making it a primary offense warranting a stop and subsequent shenanigans is the issue. and no... its not a win win for lawyers or the state... lawyers will get stuck attempting to make an unwinnable argument at their client's request. its not enough to argue the officer was simply mistaken. mistake is an unwinnable argument from the beginning as a reasonable mistake will not get a stop and subsequent search thrown out. so, ya got to argue that the law enforcement officer is literally lying. good luck with that... even with dash cam videos in both cars. bunch of wasted time by admin judges, officers testifying at admin hearings, lawyers making unwinnable arguments at their clients expense and rinse and repeat the same in criminal court. contrary to public misconceptions, 99% lawyers don't enjoy taking $ from clients and then losing. its gut wrenching tbh.

its wishful thinking. but, i have a glimmer of hope that judges will become more and more skeptical of officer "mistakes" when there is glaring video evidence to the contrary exists. hopefully, to the point where that argument becomes untenable altogether.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only issue that I have about others that choose not to buckle up is , supposing I'm driving and get in an accident with another car and I'm at fault , the other driver isn't buckled up and dies. I'm pretty sure I can still be sued for his death even if a seatbelt would have saved his life and the difference between injuries and death in a court room is millions . Not sure how judge and jury would react but I'd still be liable for someone else's negligence .

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we already have a seatbelt law davey. its been on the books for quite some time. so, you've always been required to buckle up. the only difference is you couldn't be pulled over for it. it had to be enforced secondary to some other offense. when even ND legislators distrust law enforcement so bad it takes them 3 decades to finally cave and make it a primary offense, ya know there is a public image problem at the very least and an actual credibility problem at the very worst.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, I'm just amazed at how many don't use them . Have you ever paid attention to lawsuits as I described in my scenario ?

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son was involved in an accident in Mn. A few years back had his seatbelt on his passenger was not buckled, son suffered a broken collar bone passenger had a broken neck, not fatal and no paralysis but still problematic. Son was cited for the other person not wearing SB. So I guess you have to make sure everybody is wearing. On a side note my one friend always called me a safety Nazi for making him wear a life jacket in the boat when we were under power. Now he has the same rules in his boat

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41