Badlands hiking

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is ok phone coverage in some areas of the badlands. You may have to call for help if you are 5 miles into a 10 mile hike.

You also need to steer clear of the bison as they like to hang out on the trails.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's one that bit a guy on the hand well boating out on what was likely lake oahe.

48404330_2274413435913510_6035788932015194112_n.jpg

I believe this was the incident by Mobridge two years ago. By the time he got to the hospital he was extremely sick and likely near death. I've seen a few bites and the people were always real sick.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would assume that's correct since it's Corson County South Dakota. Never says it's oahe but I only know of one other Lake down there with a boat ramp so I just assumed it must be her.

I find it interesting how that sound must be pre-programmed into the brains fight or flight response system. First time I ever had one go off near me I was walking down a chunk of prairie Trail in the Badlands to check a washout before I drove through it to see if I could get the truck through. When it started to happen I suddenly found that by the time my conscious brain figured out that holy shit that bush is making sounds it shouldn't be making my unconscious brain had already determined it was a good time to make an attempt at setting a new world record for high jump and it was well into executing that plan! Its crazy how fast your brain can react to situations even if you've never been in them before.

When I spent allot of time out there bow hunting when it was hot out I would use pants something along this line just so I didn't have worry about it other than where I put my hands and arms. In the end, out there they're not overly common so if you don't go looking for them you're probably not going to find them. They tend to be around the various washouts or anywhere there's Rock piles or something they can hide under that's where you're likely find them so just randomly out in the grass your odds are pretty low.

Screenshot_20180401-225832.jpg

Last edited:

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean,

I don't think regular Upland Pants like that would protect against a snake bite. You better get chaps or snake boots rated to protect you against a snake bite if you are worried about it and want piece of mind.

I would assume that's correct since it's Corson County South Dakota. Never says it's oahe but I only know of one other Lake down there with a boat ramp so I just assumed it must be her.

I find it interesting how that sound must be pre-programmed into the brains fight or flight response system. First time I ever had one go off near me I was walking down a chunk of prairie Trail in the Badlands to check a washout before I drove through it to see if I could get the truck through. When it started to happen I suddenly found that by the time my conscious brain figured out that holy shit that bush is making sounds it shouldn't be making my unconscious brain had already determined it was a good time to make an attempt at setting a new world record for high jump and it was well into executing that plan! Its crazy how fast your brain can react to situations even if you've never been in them before.

When I spent allot of time out there bow hunting when it was hot out I would use pants something along this line just so I didn't have worry about it other than where I put my hands and arms. In the end, out there they're not overly common so if you don't go looking for them you're probably not going to find them. They tend to be around the various washouts or anywhere there's Rock piles or something they can hide under that's where you're likely find them so just randomly out in the grass your odds are pretty low.

TNEw6vu.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean the place I have seen them most often is prairie dog towns. Especially an oil well site with high grass in a prairie dog town. I have gone two or three years without seeing one, but if you want to see one go into a prairie dog town at night. I have seen very few on the road, then one evening we went from Medora down east river road to kill time before the musical. Towards sunset on the way back we seen three.
I tried find a record of that kid bit in the Medora campground. Either the campground host was filling us full of bs or the kid lived. He said it happened just the day before we arrived. Perhaps a single bite and more thorns than bites, or the guy was just plain full of it.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up in the heart of the badlands, and rattlers were just a part of everyday life from late May until fall. They aren't aggressive and will not strike unless threatened. They will give ample warning and you have plenty of time to locate and avoid them. 90% of bites that happen are the persons fault because they want to see the snake up close or gotta play with it. They will usually get out of your way before you even know they are there. You will walk past many of them and not even know they are there because they didn't feel threatened. Learn to walk with your eyes scanning the ground in front of you. If you want to look at something stop moving then look up at whatever you wanted to see. This was burned into our brains since we were old enough to go outside as kids. Find yourself a good walking stick to use when walking around rocks. Just keep the stick out in front of you when walking in big rocks that will trigger the snake before your leg will. All the time I spent fencing or on foot in the badlands I've never had in issue. I've never even known anyone to get bit in all the years I've been out there. If you take your dog with that might be a different story. The ranch dogs learned real quick to avoid rattlers, if they survived. The most important thing is use common sense!! If you have ample common sense you won't need heavy and hot leather leggings.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive never seen a rattler in my years hunting in the badlands. I'm not afraid of snakes so have never considered wearing any protection because it honestly seems like overkill to me. Hell I've seen more Mt lions than rattlers in my life out there...1.

The sun is the thing to be afraid of out there in the summer....F*&# can it get hot and there isn't any shade in a lot of places. If I'm gonna carry extra weight out there its going to be water, not snake gear or revolver.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean,

I don't think regular Upland Pants like that would protect against a snake bite. You better get chaps or snake boots rated to protect you against a snake bite if you are worried about it and want piece of mind.

They have snakes specifically listed in this particular advertisement so that's what I'm going by. No doubt regular Snake garters are more effective but we're talking about Prairie Rattlers here and they're not exactly the most impressive of the pit viper Clan as far as bite penetration compared to like they're bigger Diamondback cousins.

As for prairie dog towns they are definitely a favorite haunt of the snakes but it kind of goes right along with the any place they can find a hole to hide in sort of set-up they like so much.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to trail ride a lot in the badlands and seldom followed the marked trails so we often got into pretty rough stuff. Probably saw fewer than a half dozen rattlers in all the years and even though we all bailed off our horses the moment someone shouted "SNAKE" we only managed to kill one small one for a souvenir and that one we had to dig up a rock slide to get at. They don't want anything to do with you if they have a way to escape but it still pays to keep your eyes open especially in brush and high grass. Rancher south of Mandan told me he had way more rattlers on his land than there were in the badlands around Medora. He warned me not to get off my ATV unless I stopped on bare dirt or rock and even gave me his pistol to carry while I was doing a range inspection on his land.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't seen or heard a rattler yet, 6-7 trips bowhunting down there. Found a shed skin last year that was over 6ft long, not sure if it was off a rattler or not though.

dirtytough

Last year was the first time I've seen one in the badlands. It was opening day of archery and my 9 year old was with me. It was 1-2 in the afternoon and we were hiking back to the truck after a 5-6 mile loop. We sat down on a clay/rock point for a 5 minute break. As soon as we get up and start heading down my boy falls past me and does a couple somersaults on the cattle trail we were on. I pick him up, tell him to slow down and right then I hear the rattle. It was right in the middle of the trail. Rattled a little then slithered off into the brush. Lucky he fell when he did and not a step or 2 later.

After that my boy hugged my side for the next half mile or so haha

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baby rattlers more dangerous? Not really. Better chance of envenomation from a baby rattler bite? Sure. But concider a baby rattler is about 7 inches long and has fangs that could barely pierce thick human skin, much less jeans or boots, so I wouldnt worry to much about babies.

In my opinion, all the extra "snake protective" gear is over kill, but couldnt hurt. I will however, advise against any kind of snake bite kit. Youll never suck or draw any signifigant amount of venom out of tissue, surely not enough to make up for the valuable time wasted dickin with that kit you coulda been getting to a hospital.

75-100% of snake stories are bullshit, especially when it comes to size or agression. hearing a 6 foot rattler story from the badlands to me is the same as someone telling you guys about a 38 pound walleye they caught n released in the mouse river. A huge prairie rattler is 4ft, and average large adults are 3ft. In the extremely rare chance you do get bit, stay calm, and get to a hospital asap. But id be more worried about twisted ankles, or sunburns.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be more worried about running into a cow on the road and rolling off a cliff and dying in a fiery rage than getting bit from a rattle snake

i have seen/killed quite a few tho actually.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_8223.jpgIMG_8224.jpg
My 2 year old daughter (at the time) was walking out to the ground blind with me to bow hunt and I literally stepped on this rattler in tall grass. She made me shoot it with my bow. Lol

they are still shots from a video so they are poor quality

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_8225.jpg
This was a 7 or 10 footer (I can't remember). I rassled him for a good 15 minutes before I tired him out and got the death grip on him. Ryan taylor wrote a book about it

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
hearing a 6 foot rattler story from the badlands to me is the same as someone telling you guys about a 38 pound walleye
I don't know if it still stands, but the Reptile Gardens in the Blackhills was offering a substantial reward for anyone who found a six foot prairie rattlesnake. I think that was about 30 years ago and no one ever claimed that reward.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know if it still stands, but the Reptile Gardens in the Blackhills was offering a substantial reward for anyone who found a six foot prairie rattlesnake. I think that was about 30 years ago and no one ever claimed that reward.

surprised you didnt say you've killed atleast a few 6 footers with your golf club walking stick.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A pile I found coming out of their den in the spring.

full-41001-224526-snakes_013.jpgfull-41001-224527-snakes_016.jpg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats awesome! I never tell people where dens are, seems the word spreads and by the following year the den is wiped out never to return.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Hannah!! That's awesome

and for the record I don't kill most I find. My daughter made me kill the one

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it actually legal to kill the things, or more of an SSS situation?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34