Barnes TTSX bullets

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything I load for hunting has been TTSX for quite a few years. .243, .270, 7mm-08, and 30-06 (I don't use, just bored and loaded them). Apparently I'm getting a 6.5 for Christmas so I'll work a load up for that. Wife's bull elk last year was with the 7-08; these bullets do not come apart and my favorite shot with them is the high shoulder. I've killed two bulls with the shoulder shot and they went down and stayed down immediately and one within 10 yards. I also get excellent groups with them, however I have to push them towards the max with Hunter or Big Game. I have about 50 rounds of 110gr. for the .270 that grouped slightly better than the 130gr. but I had no good reason in my mind to hunt with them so have no report for them in regards to killing game.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a 275gr barnes fired out of my muzzy at about 2300fps into a muddy berm. Nice expansion. I havent hunted elk, but I typically go with the lightest barnes available in the caliber Im shooting. 160s from my 338, 110s in my 308 etc for deer.
20181128_103203[1].jpg
20181128_103222[1].jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
20191019_141012.jpg

I would say they do the job. 120 gr out of a 7mm-08 at 624 yards. Double-lunged, full pass through and he was dead after a 30 yard trot. About 100 yards further than practiced but felt confident with the ballistics calculation and it was the last evening of a 12 day sheep hunt and I really needed to relieve some aggression.

Its the exact same gun that eseamands' wife uses. One of the better impulse buys I have made.

Odd, but nice looking sheep.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my accubonds but am leaning more towards the non toxic shot in the future. Save the Raptors.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So how many elk did you shoot in a week?!

2, however we were on the last week of the 1st year. Our team leader was a great guy but a high body count was not his primary concern. If he would've loosened the reigns a bit I could've shot 3-4 more.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've ran 140 and 150 TSX and TTSX out of my 7MM Rem Mag for deer for quit awhile and they have never let me down as long as shot placement is good, tracking jobs are usually line of site. in my 6.5-284 Norma I have tried 120 TTSX with good results from 35yds to 100yds (couldn't get the 127LRX to group worth a crap), also have taken 2 deer with 130gr Accubonds and 1 with a Barnes 140gr Match Burner. They all work but I think I will be either going back to the Barnes TTSX or maybe going to play with the Hornady ELDX next. In the end I am a Barnes fan myself. Dad has an old 6.5 Jap sporter with peep sight that I am thinking about breaking out and contemplating what I want to do set it up with, he used to shoot some Sierra 85gr hollow points.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
..... in my 6.5-284 Norma I have tried 120 TTSX with good results from 35yds to 100yds (couldn't get the 127LRX to group worth a crap),.......

I'm with you on the LRX. I've tried and tried to get 127 LRX to shoot in my 264 Win Mag. I really, really, REALLY want it to happen, but have pretty much given up on them out of that rifle. I may try the "leftovers" in my Creedmor.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with you on the LRX. I've tried and tried to get 127 LRX to shoot in my 264 Win Mag. I really, really, REALLY want it to happen, but have pretty much given up on them out of that rifle. I may try the "leftovers" in my Creedmor.

Yeah I don't know what the deal was with them. My 120 TTSX load was a tac driver but genius me I lost my load data or didn't write it down in my book and whatever it was I know that .5gr of powder made the huge difference, still have not found that sweet spot again;:;banghead

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell me how you like that 264? Been eyeing the new mod 70 pretty hard.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you shooting copper and lead bullets, are you doing any cleaning when switching between each?

"Lead bullets" also have a copper jacket, so I don't think there's really much difference as far as fouling goes. However, when switching between any two bullets, and especially when switching powders, I've noticed it takes a few shots to settle in.

- - - Updated - - -

The 127 LRX is no good. If anyone has any left over, please send them to me and I'll dispose of them.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tell me how you like that 264? Been eyeing the new mod 70 pretty hard.

Well I can't really say, I haven't gotten mine to shoot worth a damn yet....still a work in progress. By the numbers, the cartridge is outstanding!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My experience has been good with X bullets, but sure different than most people. I started shooting them in 1988. I have shot them in 223, 22-250, 243, 270, 308, 300WSM, and 300 Win mag. I have never had a deer drop on the spot except for a couple of head shots with the 223. I shot one buck in Montana broadside at 300 yards. Through both front shoulders and he ran 200 yards. I have never lost one, but to me it appears it takes them a few more seconds to go down. I liked them in my 300 mags because no matter the angle if I knew where the heart was I could reach it. The only downside I can see is hunting public land where an animal runs 200 yards and someone else shoots him again and he drops. The wound channel is good and they bleed out, but I think the reason they don't drop as fast is because penetration is so good the hillside beyond the animal absorbs more foot pounds of energy than the animal that it passed through. I like them, but there are others I like for other applications. I like Hornady ELD-X also, and for long range I like the Barnes VLD because they open well at long ranges.
My knees are shot and I sit and wait for deer. Back when we could buy five or six doe license it was not uncommon to sit with four rifles on bipods and two or three different loads for each. 45/70 for the close things and 300 Mag with VLD for long range.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My experience has been good with X bullets, but sure different than most people. I started shooting them in 1988. I have shot them in 223, 22-250, 243, 270, 308, 300WSM, and 300 Win mag. I have never had a deer drop on the spot except for a couple of head shots with the 223. I shot one buck in Montana broadside at 300 yards. Through both front shoulders and he ran 200 yards. I have never lost one, but to me it appears it takes them a few more seconds to go down. I liked them in my 300 mags because no matter the angle if I knew where the heart was I could reach it. The only downside I can see is hunting public land where an animal runs 200 yards and someone else shoots him again and he drops. The wound channel is good and they bleed out, but I think the reason they don't drop as fast is because penetration is so good the hillside beyond the animal absorbs more foot pounds of energy than the animal that it passed through. I like them, but there are others I like for other applications. I like Hornady ELD-X also, and for long range I like the Barnes VLD because they open well at long ranges.
My knees are shot and I sit and wait for deer. Back when we could buy five or six doe license it was not uncommon to sit with four rifles on bipods and two or three different loads for each. 45/70 for the close things and 300 Mag with VLD for long range.

Many years ago I used the Barnes all copper bullet for an elk hunting trip. It was basically a Brass hollow-point in 130gr. Similar to you I thought on deer they expanded too slow and didn't drop on the spot. That is the reason I went to 110gr. even though 130 in the .270 was the Holy Grail since Jack O'Connor wrote an article about the .270 way back when. In my case where there was virtually no loss of mass from the 110 gr. bullet. I'm guessing I had more retained weight, or at least about as much, as I would have with the Nosler Ballistic or Accubond bullets I used for many years in 130gr. Wish I could still get 3 or 4 doe tags to do more practical experimenting instead of 1 tag every few years. Will still use the TTSX 130gr the next time I go elk hunting.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Retired ed a few years back my hunting partner had rotator cuff surgery and didn't want heavy loads in his 300 Win Mag that season. He loaded his 300 with the 110 X at the lowest load which I think was right around 3300fps. I watched through the spotting scope as the bullet struck a 4x4 at a little over 200 yards. Very impressive. That bucks chest visibly expanded as the bullet hit and he only travelled about 15 yards. That was the fastest drop I have observed with an X. Other than the two I shot at running with a 223 and led to much hitting them in the head. Hmmm actually as I think one was with the 22-250, but both were the 52gr X.

Last edited:

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Throw those shitty x bullets out. A lot has changed since 1988

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I can't really say, I haven't gotten mine to shoot worth a damn yet....still a work in progress. By the numbers, the cartridge is outstanding!!
I'll check back in a years time!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 214
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 61