Bear Again

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Posts
11,497
Likes
2,720
Points
718
Location
SE ND
Black Bear seen 1 mile west of my place and I live 3 miles northwest of Wyndmere. Could be that little guy from Fargo following the rivers. Red to the Wild Rice, now headed north to Sheyenne. then who knows could be back into Fargo OR KDM's back yard. LB
 


KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2015
Posts
10,272
Likes
4,033
Points
863
Location
Valley City
Black Bear seen 1 mile west of my place and I live 3 miles northwest of Wyndmere. Could be that little guy from Fargo following the rivers. Red to the Wild Rice, now headed north to Sheyenne. then who knows could be back into Fargo OR KDM's back yard. LB
Don't bother my critters and booboo has nothing to fear from me. Lots of unusual wildlife shows up here from time to time. Moose, Mtn lions, elk, and a lone possum one fall just to name a few passersby that made my eyebrows come up. Never a bear though. I'll let you know if I make a bears acquaintance.
 

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Posts
721
Likes
105
Points
235
Location
Eastern ND
I did read in the GF Harold that ND G&F are looking into a possible season on bears in the NE corner of the state. I always knew there were bears around, but not a huntable population.
 


Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Posts
2,890
Likes
1,871
Points
593
Location
Dickinson, ND
I did read in the GF Harold that ND G&F are looking into a possible season on bears in the NE corner of the state. I always knew there were bears around, but not a huntable population.
About 10 years ago at 2 in the morning, one was smucked by a beet truck around 4 miles south east of St. Thomas.
 

5575

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2015
Posts
4,057
Likes
1,871
Points
673
No worries we got him!
1000051965.jpg
 

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Posts
4,453
Likes
1,397
Points
523
Location
SE ND.
Black Bear seen 1 mile west of my place and I live 3 miles northwest of Wyndmere. Could be that little guy from Fargo following the rivers. Red to the Wild Rice, now headed north to Sheyenne. then who knows could be back into Fargo OR KDM's back yard. LB
Maybe the Fargo bear but I wouldn't put money on it. There are 3 separate bears caught on trail cameras in the past month or so. One 1mi from me and the other two about 5mi as the crow flys. Last year there were different reports of a bear sighting and tracks between Colfax and Wyndmere.
I wouldn't be surprised if there becomes a season in the SE side within 3-5yrs
 

Davy Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2015
Posts
16,235
Likes
3,374
Points
908
Location
Boondocks
Were they common in that area back in the 1800s and early 1900s ? my grandpa shot one on the farm in the early 1900s , sounds like there were at least a few back then. We never saw another one untill 2-3 years ago. I never understood why they got so scarse, it seems like prime territory for them. The experts tell me they don't like to cross the vast wide open prarie that these hills are surround by, now it seems they are fairly common on open prairie. Makes me wonder if they are getting pushed out of areas with higher populations. If that's the case we probly have more in the hills that we realize.
 

Eatsleeptrap

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2021
Posts
2,353
Likes
6,969
Points
858
There was a little talk about the possibility of a season at the NDFTA rendezvous in New Salem back in August. I believe right now they are listed as a furbearer with no season. If it happens, it will be a once in a lifetime lottery with odds like the Bighorn lottery or worse. If I remember right, they are at the very beginning stage gauging public interest while still actively gathering bear population data.
 


NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2015
Posts
3,950
Likes
1,720
Points
553
Location
East Central ND
Had one in our yard about 10 years ago now. There's been regular bear sightings in east central ND just about every fall the last few years now. They tend to hang in the corn until the combines push them out around here. There's got to be some breeding in the eastern part of the state by now.
 

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 62
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
Top Bottom