Bear Spray

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm heading to Alaska in August. My plan is to carry a Huckleberry pie at all times.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm heading to Alaska in August. My plan is to carry a Huckleberry pie at all times.
Hey bobo I hear pic-n-nic baskets work greeaaaatttt!
cache.php

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Actually the liberals that care more for bears than people push that bs. Much like the professors at the world area in the Lamar Valley telling mushy brained college punks that wolves only eat the old and sick. Old and sick, global change, bear spray keep it all. I have bear spray simply to appease every duck head on the trail.I was coming north of Ovando and didn't hear anything about this until I filled diesel at Bob's market in Helena yesterday.

I cast my own 310 gr 44 bullets and push them at 1300fps. Bear spray I the face is not as effective as a 44 in the melon.

Do yourself a favor and stay east of Highway 83..

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
For some reason I imagine the scene from Pulp Fiction when Travolta & Jackson get that 6 shooter emptied at them, then look at each other to see that they're not hit, then take care of the guy. I'm guessing that is the bear in most cases with the billy badass handgun shooters (including myself) out there LOL! I'll take the spray first!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm guessing that is the bear in most cases with the billy badass handgun shooters (including myself) out there LOL! I'll take the spray first!

Bingo. I still carry the handgun, but I’ve seen enough big bears taking multiple rounds to the vitals with magnum long guns and keep chugging for several minutes to understand the realistic effectiveness of a handgun. By the numbers, you gotta be an unlucky bastard to get attacked by a bear and your luck would need to swing drastically in short order to mitigate the problem with a handgun - or spray for that matter. 12B75F67-1E61-4A6C-B26E-DA44F0565879.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
What gets me is the pepper spray for people is 10% and for bears it's 1.5 percent. It would appear logical to assume the developers were influenced by people more concerned about bears than people.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What gets me is the pepper spray for people is 10% and for bears it's 1.5 percent. It would appear logical to assume the developers were influenced by people more concerned about bears than people.

with different ingredients according to google.

The personal-defense pepper spray some people carry in their cars or purses will not work on a bear, Servheen says. You need bear spray—also known as bear deterrent—which is a product made specifically for bears. Bear spray contains different active ingredients (capsaicin and related capsaicinoids) than pepper spray.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
with different ingredients according to google.

The personal-defense pepper spray some people carry in their cars or purses will not work on a bear, Servheen says. You need bear spray—also known as bear deterrent—which is a product made specifically for bears. Bear spray contains different active ingredients (capsaicin and related capsaicinoids) than pepper spray.

It's still a fact that there is only 1.5 % capsaicin, and it works on any animal with lungs or without a bird like cornea. I don't know about impact on bird or reptile eyes. Yes there are other ingredients in bear spray intended to aid the capsaicin. Still more capsaicin and the activator woukd be better. People in law enforcement have to take a blast to the face to be certified to carry pepper spray. Pepper spray active ingredient is capsasium.

Simply for entertainment go to utube and search Tim Wells bow shot bear. They have restricted it and I can't copy and psst.past. This is a large bear and the arrow Pentwater the heavy left eye orbital through the head and if I remember lodged in the first vertebrae.

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's still a fact that there is only 1.5 % capsaicin, and it works on any animal with lungs or without a bird like cornea. I don't know about impact on bird or reptile eyes. Yes there are other ingredients in bear spray intended to aid the capsaicin. Still more capsaicin and the activator woukd be better. People in law enforcement have to take a blast to the face to be certified to carry pepper spray. Pepper spray active ingredient is capsasium.

Simply for entertainment go to utube and search Tim Wells bow shot bear. They have restricted it and I can't copy and psst.past. This is a large bear and the arrow Pentwater the heavy left eye orbital through the head and if I remember lodged in the first vertebrae.

My dad shot a mule deer doe looking at him from behind a bush between the eyes with a longbow. He said he got tired of waiting for her to step out

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never been shot so I don't know what that feels like, but I have been sprayed in the face multiple times with pepper spray. We had to "recertify" to carry it every year.

I'll take my chances with getting shot over getting sprayed in the face again.

Some people think CS gas is bad. It's child's play compared to pepper spray.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is getting recertified a tactic to make you think twice before using it or what? Seems a bit excessive annually..

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Basically yes in a round about way. It’s not something to be using on a whim. It was rather high up in our escalation of force

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear poop and Grizzy Bear shit..

Black Bear poop is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.

Grizzly Bear shit has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never been shot so I don't know what that feels like, but I have been sprayed in the face multiple times with pepper spray. We had to "recertify" to carry it every year.

I'll take my chances with getting shot over getting sprayed in the face again.

Some people think CS gas is bad. It's child's play compared to pepper spray.

LOL, I was the 5711 running the gas chamber for a few years, and I got to the point I didn't need a mask on to be in the chamber, but get a little Carolina Reaper wing sauce in the eye...and you'll take a kick to the nuts before you let it happen again. I thought I was gonna go blind.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so I did this. And was left wondering what on Earth that has to do with bear spray? Are you suggesting I carry my recurve for safety sake?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is getting recertified a tactic to make you think twice before using it or what? Seems a bit excessive annually..

:):):):) That's the idea, but after injuries wrestling aholes into handcuffs do you think it creates a hesitancy? :):):) I'm not saying a guy walks away with tears running down his face thinking about the guy for the past ten years who fights with them three times a year and thinks I can't wait to spray this guy. I'm not saying that. Nope I'm not saying that. I didn't say that. Nope. :::

One year I did tell the Sheriff, I hope liberals don't get enough influence that I will have to get shot with my 45 to be certified to carry it on duty. I think the pepper spray certification is beyond stupid. The average Neanderthal had more brains.

I have emptied out cans that were dated and considered expired. One is always tempted by curiosity to get a little down wind to get a small idea of the sensation. I have emptied five or six pepper spray and only one bear spray. I really can't judge because maybe the wind was more direct or some other variable I cant think of influenced what I percieved, but the bear spray sensation was much milder.

Recent (last two three year) bear attacks with pepper spray are turning minds of those in the hunting community and a few others from the debate pepper spray or sidearm. Many are starting to carry 10mm. Some people shoukd carry bear spray, and the handgun proficient should chose what they rationally think is best for them. Those that think bear spray is best shoukd carry bear spray, and those that think their handgun is best shoukd carry it.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be just as happy not being in bear country as being in bear country with bear spray.

I don't go to the south west part of Chicago either, I figure Beatlejuice has that shit all figured out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88