Bear Spray

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
:):):):) That's the idea, but after injuries wrestling aholes into handcuffs do you think it creates a hesitancy? :):):) I'm not saying a guy walks away with tears running down his face thinking about the guy for the past ten years who fights with them three times a year and thinks I can't wait to spray this guy. I'm not saying that. Nope I'm not saying that. I didn't say that. Nope. :::

One year I did tell the Sheriff, I hope liberals don't get enough influence that I will have to get shot with my 45 to be certified to carry it on duty. I think the pepper spray certification is beyond stupid. The average Neanderthal had more brains.

I have emptied out cans that were dated and considered expired. One is always tempted by curiosity to get a little down wind to get a small idea of the sensation. I have emptied five or six pepper spray and only one bear spray. I really can't judge because maybe the wind was more direct or some other variable I cant think of influenced what I percieved, but the bear spray sensation was much milder.

Recent (last two three year) bear attacks with pepper spray are turning minds of those in the hunting community and a few others from the debate pepper spray or sidearm. Many are starting to carry 10mm. Some people shoukd carry bear spray, and the handgun proficient should chose what they rationally think is best for them. Those that think bear spray is best shoukd carry bear spray, and those that think their handgun is best shoukd carry it.

Is there anything you cant turn into an issue of conservative vs liberal?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Build a LeMat style pistol in 44 mag or 10mm and bear spray shot shell in bottom barrel. Best of both worlds. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what wasp and hornet spray would do ? Supposedly shoots 30 feet , I have a can handy just incase the 22 jams or if I don't wanna shoot . Not many bears in this neck of the woods but we are starting to get a few hunyucks .

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Allen for reminding me of the word Hun-yuk , It was a long lost word in this neck of the woods for the last 20-30 years.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I have to explain something to people. Capsicum comes from peppers. A Habanero is hotter than a Jalapeño because it has more capsicum. Hence the name pepper spray. My hopes is this will help people decide what they want to carry. Large canisters of 10% that fog are available. Save the bear spray for your sandwiches.:::

Also from Google.

I also assumed that bear spray is stronger than conventional self-defense pepper sprays because, well, bears.

But it turns out, I was wrong:

Although pepper spray and bear spray contain the same active chemical, they are not the same thing. Bear spray has a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum, and should only be used as a bear deterrent.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure bear spray deploys differently. I believe it shoots a concentrated stream much further than your standard "human pepper spray". I'm not 100% on this since I don't have real world experience with bear spray.

I wouldn't be real privy on needing said bear to get within 10 feet of me. A good 30' or 40' stream of the bear spray, albeit less potent, would be my choice if I was so incline to arm myself with it.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me personally, having bear spray along is good and would possibly use it before a side arm but depending on the circumstances of course. I wouldn't go afield without a side arm now that is for sure.
If I can stand there and put an arrow into a charging bear (been there done that at 18 feet, it was a black bear), I feel darn confident that I can do the same with a side arm.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing I think too many people assume is that a bear incident unfolds like a western 12 noon showdown. See bear from a distance, bear sees you, you try to deter, bear comes closer, until you have to shoot or spray. Unfortunately most of the encounters are the opposite and there isn't a lot of time to react. You come around a corner and there is a bear at 30 feet, or worse closer and with cubs. Then things happen quick. I respect each persons decision, but for my skill level I'll take the cloud of bear spray deployed versus my shooting skills with a 10mm wide bullet, even at close range. Regardless of type of defense, you've got to be able to deploy it quickly.

Given all this talk I am going to use up a soon expiring can just to see what it looks like. Hope I don't have to use it but would be good to know.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure bear spray deploys differently.
Hey Jiffy. My point was pepper spray comes in so may form's that you can get a can the size of bear spray that also deploys like bear spray. Fog, stream, jell, dyed, with 10% capsicum. I carry both. Spray at my left hand andv44 mag in a chest rig. If the time ever comes that I need it the spray will be first, but the handgun will be ready because to many times in the last few years spray has let people down. It may have done the bear in Ovanda away, but the poor lady was already dead. I simply dislike the granola trying to tell me how good it is.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Freakn' gone. Pepper spray and ASP. No idea what I touched on this gd keyboard. Quoted Jiffy. Gone.

- - - Updated - - -

White flash: gone

- - - Updated - - -

Was in detail about ASP vs pepper training.

- - - Updated - - -

On a wireless laptop...I'm too tired to describe again. Stay tuned.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey Jiffy. ………I simply dislike the granola trying to tell me how good it is.

Are you taking blood pressure meds? You probably should be. Why does everything have to do with liberals and conservatives with you? Talk about a bore….

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Jiffy. My point was pepper spray comes in so may form's that you can get a can the size of bear spray that also deploys like bear spray. Fog, stream, jell, dyed, with 10% capsicum. I carry both. Spray at my left hand andv44 mag in a chest rig. If the time ever comes that I need it the spray will be first, but the handgun will be ready because to many times in the last few years spray has let people down. It may have done the bear in Ovanda away, but the poor lady was already dead. I simply dislike the granola trying to tell me how good it is.

So, you talk shit about just carrying bear spray to appease the "Liberals", but it's the first thing you would use?

You are special kind of stupid, or a fucking closet Liberal = Both :)

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
with 10% capsicum. I carry both.
Bear spray has let people down, so I carry a handgun because I don't know how affective 10% is. Still I would like to not kill the bear.

I'm pretty sure bear spray deploys differently. I believe it shoots a concentrated stream much further than your standard "human pepper spray".
Good morning Jiffy. I hope I can describe these things to people without being offensive. Bear spray doesn't shoot a stream, it's a wide angle fog. Pepper spray comes in so many forms you can pick what you want. Forms of deployment that is. The stuff is expensive though.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93