best NEW walleye fishing boat...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Done with the pontoon

no, just starting to look around for an addition... i too started looking cheaper but then realized i could get into a 18 to 19 class glass boat for under 50... would like to add something that would "stick" a little better in rougher water without getting blown around, and i'm sure glass would do that better than aluminum...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What year is it ----or in other words --- how long has grandpa let that old ethanol sit in it?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, cuz i don't know, how much difference is there between an aluminum and glass boat for fishing...

do you need more trolling motor cuz of the weight in a glass boat???

will the glass boat naturally drift slower???

will the glass boat automatically sit lower in the water???

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How well do those Stratos hold their value?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
He didn't ask for a kicker, bro.;)

Is it possible to fish without a kicker?

- - - Updated - - -

so, cuz i don't know, how much difference is there between an aluminum and glass boat for fishing...

You can never have too much motor. Generally, yes, you need more for a comparable sized glass boat due to increased weight.

Usually, yes. Heavier, and most glass boats sit a bit lower in the water (not all).

Above

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember to keep in mind that the boat industry is extremely competitive. If a boat is cheaper, it's usually because it either has less equipment or was built cheaper. There's a reason some brands are quite inexpensive compared to others.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Just remember to keep in mind that the boat industry is extremely competitive. If a boat is cheaper, it's usually because it either has less equipment or was built cheaper. There's a reason some brands are quite inexpensive compared to others.

Or is trying to get their foot into the market.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

1. When actually fishing, the difference between AL and Glass is most evident in how much straighter it tracks when trolling (electric, kicker, or main) as well as predictability in a drift.

2. You need more trolling motor because you can never have enough. I went from an 18.5'/95.5" wide AL Crestliner FishHawk to an 18.5'/99" wide YarCraft. My current setup is ~600-700# heavier including the 100+# kicker that I didn't have on the C-Liner. Both boats had/have 80# thrust 60" shaft 24V MinnKotas on the bow. I routinely trolled with the C-liner between 2-4 on the I-Pilot. I'm typically between 3-5 on the YarCraft with virtually no noticeable difference in usable battery life, meaning I can troll all day with that electric on either boat and get a full charge with a 10Amp/bank charger overnight.

3. Maybe, really depends upon question #4 and sitting low in the water isn't a matter really of construction material as it is the overall design of the boat. A 2150 Lund Baron hasn't got anything on a Warrior 21-21 as it relates to Free-board. My current YarCraft has 4-5" more freeboard than did my C-Liner. I notice that extra depth mostly when trying to release pike boat side without bringing them aboard. But I've still got shorter sides than if I had a C-Liner Sportfish, Lund Fisherman/Tyee.

All-in-all, I fish more days in the YC than I would've in the C-liner because the YC handles wind/waves exponentially better. In a 20MPH "breeze" on Devils I no longer get soaked to the skin and beat to death running from spot to spot.

There's a lot of good boats out there. I'd be just as happy in a Ranger Angler, Skeeter 1910, or a half-dozen others as I'm not a YC (or any other boat brand) fanboy. I am however, a 'Glass fanboy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88