Big Buddy Heater troubleshoot

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The propane tank is half the battle sometimes. Lay it on it side if you have issues.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: That time of the year again so getting ready. I finally got big buddy dependable after tearing it down twice It fires right up. I had two problems, the main problem was the thermocouple was out of adjustment , I moved it closer to the flame and it worked good. The second problem was that I was using a new style tank with a safety valve and a gauge. Those work good for grills with a short hose but I was using a 12 foot hose and the safety valve would snap shut when I turned it on als also when I'd turn the buddy from low to high too fast. I switched to an old school tank and it has been working good.

I have a question though,
Do you guys notice much odor from them ? I remember from last year that I didn't like the smell so had to have vents open in wheelhouse. Fired it up this year in a flip over and brought back that stink memory.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
guywhobuddies knows.

I had a big buddy for 10 years before I had to replace it. Same experience as juan and kurt r. It had a few bad bounces out of the house across the lakes and one of the ceramic plates broke. It still worked albeit not as well. Looked at replacing the ceramics but it was just as easy to buy a new one. New one has worked excellent. If you are running it on a hose and a 20# you MUST use a filter. I have been refilling 1# tanks and using those. Much easier than running around with the 20#.
They also make a 5# tank. A nice size to use.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody use the Chinese diesel heaters, they work really good

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody use the Chinese diesel heaters, they work really good
Just bought one last week. Seems to work well, will see once it gets colder. Everything Ive read from people that use them is that they all love them. Going to use it in my wheelhouse, possibly in my hub house also.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Amazon has the heaters, I have 2 HCALORY 8KW heaters they work good in a Hub, instead of a propane tank you have a battery

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 455
  • This month: 198
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71