Bird dog out hunts half the group

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My GSP has caught several pheasants over the last couple seasons, including earlier today. You guys ever been fortunate enough to have a dog bring you back a bird with zero bb's in it?

Today 7 of us hunted and my dog out hunted 3 of them when he brought me back a very fiesty cock that was not wanting me to ring his neck. Damn spurs got me.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Quite often. Flushing dogs seem more prone to it that pointers for obvious reasons.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Britt that caught a grouse, several pheasants and two mallard hens.

Today my 5 month old pup picked up a rooster that was dead for a couple of days. He thought he was the man carrying that nasty bird around.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have told the dog to drop then shot it. Wing flapping kind of creeps me out like spiders. IDK. Iffen I had a dog that good, I'd have a drumstick, etc along to break it's neck if possible while still it the dogs mouth. "Sit"--pop. Hopefully this wouldn't freak the dog.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog is a pointing retriever (mix) that gets along well with small animals, more interested in sniffing them to make sure they're safe for the kids. If I tell her "get it" she will attack it. Problem here is that when I say "get it" she doesn't let up, even after I have it in hand. "Bring it back" works on ducks in the water but she won't pounce on a wounded pheasant unless I tell her "get it". Guess it's better to have a chewed bird than a lost bird.

Anyway, she hasn't brought me an unshot bird yet but she's located and flushed many impossibly bedded birds, wounded and otherwise.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may as well sell your shotgun. Lot easier to walk without one. ;:;rofl

My GSP has caught several pheasants over the last couple seasons, including earlier today. You guys ever been fortunate enough to have a dog bring you back a bird with zero bb's in it?

Today 7 of us hunted and my dog out hunted 3 of them when he brought me back a very fiesty cock that was not wanting me to ring his neck. Damn spurs got me.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slim,

"Drop" and drumstick tap?

When I was a young band-fag you never knew when the next rap from a DC-9 was coming on your hand for amusement even on parade. I remember I took an extra sharp blow once and incapacitated the guy's left wrist accidentally upon retaliation. It was a lucky shot in reflex. He played the rest of the parade ghosting/faking his left as I apologized several times in the din. We stayed in step like nothing and he was fully recovered by the time we got to the football field. We were a good high school snare line. He didn't even get a bruise and later served with distinction as a Capt. in the Army during Shield/Storm.

Best I could find; these logs didn't look like this in the '80's:

th

Eff I don't like Clyde Lewis. That is all.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's has happened on about 6 different occasions. its always been on days that are less than favorable with weather and the bird are holding tight but I have always had pointers

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't had a live bird delivered without it being "forced" to land yet.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had that happen a few times maybe 1 every 2 or 3 years. Generally it happens for my dogs when there's snow on the ground and the bird does not want to get up. I always think my dog is super bad ass when it happens too!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My chocolate lab could catch birds if the cover was real heavy, mostly young birds at the start of season. She got spured by a old rooster, laid her nose wide open. After that if the bird was alive she would roll them around with her paws until they were breast side down and then grab and crunch. You could hear the rib bones crack 20 yards away. Never had to do the neck ring thing.:;:rockit

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both my labs have brought me wounded birds that none of my party shot. Problem was one time I was alone and already had my limit and was walking back to the vehicle when she picked up the wounded bird. It just had a fresh broken wing so I hated to waste it. Probably should just have tossed it but I kept it anyway and took my chances. Not likely a warden would have believed my story.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
My chocolate lab had his head buried in a snow bank one day. He wouldn't 'come', and I was about to give him the zap when he pulled out a rooster and trotted back toward me. Dog will hunt.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one and only time I have ever hunted Mallard Island, I shot one bird and my dog caught 2 wounded ones from previous hunters. She catches a couple each year, either buried in the snow or early season young birds. 1 so far this year. I also had a telephone wire harvest a bird for me once too. Stupid thing flew straight into it and killed itself.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
first year my lab hunted (two years ago) she brought me four over the year. One was on her third day of hunting. I also got a muskrat as a gift from her too lol

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrigley almost had her teeth on a wounded grouse last weekend. She chased it into the cannonball river, unable to stop, she ran head first into water and promptly forgot about the bird. I had to pull her up the bank twice that day.

eklindworth

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 4 yo lab has caught 3 roosters already this year. He points very well and seems to catch them after a long point. No hens yet.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your dog is a good hunter but hasn't caught a few pheasants, you need a new dog.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84