Bird dog out hunts half the group

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your dog is a good hunter but hasn't caught a few pheasants, you need a new dog.

If my dogs catch a bird, it's because a shot has been fired. They're pointers and are trained steady to wing, shot and fall. Pouncing on a bird before dad flushes it or it flushes on its own is a huge no-no.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
If my dogs catch a bird, it's because a shot has been fired. They're pointers and are trained steady to wing, shot and fall. Pouncing on a bird before dad flushes it or it flushes on its own is a huge no-no.

Like I said, you need a new dog. :;:stirthepot

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like I said, you need a new dog. :;:stirthepot

To make it more fair on the birds? You're probably right. Remy and Blitz have done more damage to North Dakota's wild fowl populations than Avian Flu, coyotes, hawks and blue platers, combined. There's probably a law against that sort of efficiency, somewhere...

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pointers really shouldn't be jumping in and catching birds. Unless they are retrieving a cripple. Nothing like watching my dog stand on point for two minutes while I kick the grass for a bird that is 3 feet away! I never encourage the dogs to bust the birds. They find them and I bust them.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pointers really shouldn't be jumping in and catching birds. Unless they are retrieving a cripple. Nothing like watching my dog stand on point for two minutes while I kick the grass for a bird that is 3 feet away! I never encourage the dogs to bust the birds. They find them and I bust them.

I've trained mine to remote flush if needed. Sometimes in the thick stuff if I can't get to them, I can holler "OK" and they'll bust the bird. But that doesn't happen often. Usually I can get to the bird, or at least close enough to make them edgy and flush.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've trained mine to remote flush if needed. Sometimes in the thick stuff if I can't get to them, I can holler "OK" and they'll bust the bird. But that doesn't happen often. Usually I can get to the bird, or at least close enough to make them edgy and flush.

You are doing a great job of training.

I am really lucky. My 10.5 year Britt is the dog I spent the least time training. But yet she excels every time. Naturally staunch on point, retrieves like crazy. I let her range as needed as she knows what she is doing. I don't have to worry about her busting birds. Yesterday we were working sideways with the wind. She runs ahead and works back into the wind. Smart dog.

Yesterday she jumped into the back of the pickup. The first time in years due to being out of shape and overweight. She is now in terrific condition. Getting her into shape got me into the best condition in years. Prepping your dog for hunting is time very well spent.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad's got 2 labs, we were hunting around New England this past weekend, one caught 2 roosters Sunday morning, I think she was finally sick of my brother missing the ones she flushed. Thought about tossing it in the air for a shot, however with the way he shoots, the dam thing would have flown away and really pissed the dog off. The other lab has gotten one rooster this year. Between the 2 of them they usually get at least a few hens every year.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
You are doing a great job of training.

I am really lucky. My 10.5 year Britt is the dog I spent the least time training. But yet she excels every time. Naturally staunch on point, retrieves like crazy. I let her range as needed as she knows what she is doing. I don't have to worry about her busting birds. .

How far do you let her range out during the late season when birds are more prone to flushing wild?? Do you still let her range out that far??

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
24 birds today, and me dog was 85% , THR LIFE CM

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres a chain link fence at the end of the field by my house. My GSP has learned that if she pushes them towards the fence she can snatch them before they get over. I have to be careful when there's chicks but makes our walks a little more interesting.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
years ago I had a golden retriever came into the shop with something in her mouth, told her to drop it thinking it was something rotten, it was a hun and it flew out of the shop

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of chocolate "danger" Dogs can have a Snickers in the field with owner permission. It's no more toxic than a beer to us but can cause some shitting.

This
is dangerous:

th

th
th

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
How far do you let her range out during the late season when birds are more prone to flushing wild?? Do you still let her range out that far??

As long as the dogs work the wind I don't get too worked up about range. She rarely gets out over 100 yards. She will check back fairly often. We have shot hundreds of roosters late season. That got up 10 feet away or less. Those big flocks that jump early are nearly impossible to get close too with or without a dog. But there is normally a few runners that try to escape. Those can be easy picking with a good dog.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry--kinda got wires crossed on two threads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84