Bird ID

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The blue/yellow is what is throwing me. There are a bunch of different sparrows that have molted/striped breasts that live in that habitat, but I can't think of any that have blue/yellow.

I believe that there are some warblers with such coloration but they usually live in wooded areas, for the most part. I'd have to double check that, I'm going off memory.

Maybe they were lost. lol

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The blue/yellow is what is throwing me. There are a bunch of different sparrows that have molted/striped breasts that live in that habitat, but I can't think of any that have blue/yellow.

I believe that there are some warblers with such coloration but they usually live in wooded areas, for the most part. I'd have to double check that, I'm going off memory.

Maybe they were lost. lol
Yellow Rumped Warbler:

1690422021866.png

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few pics from our feeder. Run of the mill finches. Except I don't know I've ever seen or noticed a house finch like the one with the red on it. I would guess I always mistook them for sparrows from a distance.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few pics from our feeder. Run of the mill finches. Except I don't know I've ever seen or noticed a house finch like the one with the red on it. I would guess I always mistook them for sparrows from a distance.
I think the house finch used to just be in SW US and Mexico, but have expanded their range. For at least the past 5 years I've had them around my house consistently in Bismarck. I think they nest in my neighbors evergreens.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the house finch used to just be in SW US and Mexico, but have expanded their range. For at least the past 5 years I've had them around my house consistently in Bismarck. I think they nest in my neighbors evergreens.
Kinda like the quail up there huh

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red house finch are mature males. I hate the suckers. They eat about $60 a month in shelled sunflower. A $40 20lb bag last a couple months with chickadees, nut hatches, downy woodpeckers, and gold finches.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
same here , hey are abundant
Red house finch are mature males. I hate the suckers. They eat about $60 a month in shelled sunflower. A $40 20lb bag last a couple months with chickadees, nut hatches, downy woodpeckers, and gold finches.

Funny how birds adapt to different feeds and feeders. The red finches eat Niger seed here and the nuthatches are the pigs with sunflowers , not sure what they look for but they dig for just the perfect sunflower and probably put 10-15 on the ground for every one they eat . Also, I have never saw a wood pecker eat a sunflower at our feeder, only suit.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This sounds like everything damn else to me: Anyways: The Yellow Rumped Warbler:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88