Bis to lose boat ramp

grumster

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your community leaders are simply trying to bring some sorely needed culture to Bismarck.

Like the example of culture on display at Bluestem Amphitheatre in the FM metro. :geek:

1710352594751.png
What about my culture of hunting fishing and trapping and not washed up 70's and 80's acts?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I occasionally attend 70s/80s band events I am absolutely horrified at the walkers, canes, blue hair, etc.
I look around and realize how incredibly long ago that was. Depressing as heck.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had seen this last fall and didn't really think they were stupid enough to try to move forward with removing what is essentially the most used boat ramp in Bismarck. Do what you want south of the ramp, but any project that doesn't keep that ramp and parking lot needs to be dead in the water.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your community leaders are simply trying to bring some sorely needed culture to Bismarck.

Like the example of culture on display at Bluestem Amphitheatre in the FM metro. :geek:

1710352594751.png
Who in their right fkn mind would want to have THAT next to the river!!. It could be ANYWHERE but they want to put that where people could use that area enjoying the river?! WTF I could find a much better place for that piece of shit. Inbed it into a hillside using the shade of the valley, and putting it in a valley would reduce the wind.

They actually want to take out a boat ramp for that? IN BISMARCK!!!!???

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who in their right fkn mind would want to have THAT next to the river!!. It could be ANYWHERE but they want to put that where people could use that area enjoying the river?! WTF I could find a much better place for that piece of shit. Inbed it into a hillside using the shade of the valley, and putting it in a valley would reduce the wind.

They actually want to take out a boat ramp for that? IN BISMARCK!!!!???
Here are the proposed renderings for Bismarck

1710356459444.png

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been in contact with commissioners and others involved in this project the last 2 days. Get the impression that there is getting to be a lot of momentum building in favor of this. The 2 questions I have asked in the conversations I have had is: 1. Does it have to be either or.... is there a way to retain ramp and build a compromised version? 2. Who will be on the hook to cover costs beyond grants such as Dept of Com., etc. and O & M costs long term? Can't get direct answers to either. Bismarck tax payers via city tax or parks & Rec tax would be the likely source.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member

1710352594751.png
That used to be my favorite 9 hole golf course...now if you go to a concert there, good luck getting to hwy 75 in 30 minutes when its over:rolleyes:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
After the grants & "free money" run the course who will be left to pick-up the tab? Regarding flood protection, it would be interesting to see what it would look like with a Missouri gauge level of 21' as it was it 2011. Personally would not be opposed to the general concept if it were not in a FEMA defined flood zone and was financially self sustaining AND the boat ramp remains.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
How about they tear down that stupid Gateway to Fauci science center and put it there?

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
This is another scheme for the elite rich fockers in this town. Box offices? Why don't they use the bowl for this and let the poor fisherman and boaters keep their boat landing? People need to attend these meetings and protest this bull shit idea!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be gathering and asking for data on how much that ramp is used.
Do not have any numbers but it is on the bike path heading to Pioneer Park so I ride by several times a week. Seems to be fairly busy with a lot of boats, pontoons, and kayakers launching there. I also know that it frequently requires dredging to keep open which is a significant ongoing cost to city / Parks district.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone make it to the meeting tonight?

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
My head hurts just thinking about the stupidity of this entire idea. The concept alone isn’t terrible but it’s like they are trying to force a square peg in a round hole here just because they “can” there’s gotta be other areas near the river to build this crap and not have such a clusterfuck. Also I’d be extremely nervous about letting my kids play on a beach/water in that area. Main channel doesn’t run too far out from there.

Bob

I was there until a little after 6:00 pm. I ( my thoughts now ) is that the meeting(s) are to make it look like we, who want the ramp, got a chance to voice our opinion but in the long run it's a done deal. But perhaps after I left maybe something or someone was able to come up with a answer to keep the ramp. There has been a lot of planning, design and how much money they have to do all this ahead of us really knowing what was going on until now so I don't see them giving it up.
My questions are who is going to maintain it year round and at who's expense. Home in the summer for transients, and I'm sure all events planned outside there will always have perfect weather! The parking lot is a nightly party spot for the young with plenty of trash every morning to be picked up. I know the Bismarck PD could put in their 2 cents worth on what goes on there at night so is there going to be security there all the time?
So the ramp is removed lets say. This group claims we have lots of other ramps to use within 20 miles of Bismarck. I live really close to this ramp but now I get to try to get in a Fox or travel up to Misty Waters or Hoge which both are sand bar blocked and most of the time non useable. So now I travel north and use Steckle Boat landing which is slightly out of my way! Ok lets go south, Sibley Park has a ramp! Whoops, it's in the park which has certain hours only plus it's usually blocked to the river as well. Ok, rifle range ramp! Last time I looked that was closed. Dessert ramp which now I have to travel miles upstream to fish in my favorite spots in town where I want to fish.
I could go on about access to the river but I know the majority of you know what it is to get out there. Parking in the ramps we have now has been and always will be a problem. You have truck/trailer parking areas so when you launch and pull up to park, oh look! Here's a parking spot only to find a car, motorcycle, pickup parked in trailer parking taking the space away for a sportsman. Gawg I hate that! I have also seen fist fights at Fox of people trying to get in or even trying to load out! Gets pretty wild at times. Oh and I just love the ones who wait until they back in and decide to load the boat while in the ramp with all their gear, kids, dogs, cooler, etc. etc. I know you seen it too!
Their design also shows how they plan on putting a sand beach where the ramp is now and to the south, pretty much like it is now but also along the rocks from the ramp all the way north to the Interstate bridge they want to put down sand so one can pull up to the shore with your pontoon or boat. Well good luck with that! The main current runs along there with 20 to 30 foot depth and strong current so going to be a lot of trucks hauling sand!
Maybe there still is a chance to stop it all! I wonder if they had research the area for the "Piping Plover or Lease Tern"! Aren't those birds under the endangered species act! I know I have seen them running on the beach there!
I plan on attending tomorrow meeting. I had to leave tonight's meeting early so I don't know what happen after I left. Hope to see you all at tomorrow's meeting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31