Bison going South again

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
So NDSU is at the top of the FCS and people are making the argument that they need to go to the FBS. Should the top FBS teams be forced to go to the NFL then? I’ll take the playoff structure and winning in the FCS over getting slaughtered and being a nobody in the FBS.
I don't think so. Going into the FCS playoffs South Dakota State was #1 and NDSU was #3. Not sure that that has changed.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
portal is working. NDSU is not the great powerhouse they once were -- however vs all the rest they have momemtum with money, facilities that far exceed the rest of the FCS. I hope its a close game just like last week. Its great to see nail biters.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SandB custom homes built a house for Cody Mauch's Parents and I did the drywall work. Cody was but a wee laddie back then, 10 times bigger now and the hair is just as red. LB

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
portal is working. NDSU is not the great powerhouse they once were -- however vs all the rest they have momemtum with money, facilities that far exceed the rest of the FCS. I hope its a close game just like last week. Its great to see nail biters.
I wouldn’t say the portal is working but NDSU is managing with it. Downside is it is hard to keep the superstars in the FCS with how easy it is to transfer to the big leagues. Now with six figure NIL deals for P5 prospects it will be even harder to keep this talent in the FCS. Doesn’t mean there won’t be good players left but the Trey Lance players will be a thing of the past.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn’t say the portal is working but NDSU is managing with it. Downside is it is hard to keep the superstars in the FCS with how easy it is to transfer to the big leagues. Now with six figure NIL deals for P5 prospects it will be even harder to keep this talent in the FCS. Doesn’t mean there won’t be good players left but the Trey Lance players will be a thing of the past.
I dont like the portal ---- if was the NCAA - i would take the sarigan ratings and divide up the teams up in 3rds on the top 100 teams. 33 teams per league. NDSU would be in the second tier. If i was dougy i would close some schools in ND and combine Und and NDSU as one. We have a ton of MN students as learning changes (just give it some time it will) we run the risk of losing those.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw a stat yesterday that out of the total 13,000 FBS football players, over 1,000 have entered the portal. That's insane. I think it's advantage NDSU honestly. Their specialty is getting players that were disrespected by the big guys and developing them. Seems like a great opportunity to pick up some guys with chips on their shoulder. We will see how it effects big guys leaving NDSU. The three guys that left did so because they wern't getting the PT they thought they deserved. See ya later. I don't see what advantage it would be to leave NDSU and go to higher competition for someone like Trey Lance. You're already viewed as a high draft pick, keep on beating up on FCS schools and fluff up your stat book and draft status instead of risking being exposed by transferring to an FBS school IMO. And the reality is, most of the players at NDSU wouldn't be moving up to power 5 schools anyways so is it worth it? (I know one of the DBs that just left signed with K-State, but we will see if he ever sees the field) NDSU has a track record that if you want to go pro, you're just as likely to do it there as anywhere else if you got what it takes.

I would like to see changes to the portal where it doesn't open up until after the season. I think it's garbage that players are quitting on their teams before the season ends.

As far as NIL, again I think it's advantage NDSU. Schools like NDSU, SDSU, and MSU are rising to the top because they're mid-market cities with nothing else in the region. I think places like that have a net positive when it comes to NIL. A place like Fargo has enough big financial players in town and no pro team or FBS school to put their money behind. That includes the shole state and the oil field as well as businesses a couple hundred miles. NDSU doesn't recruit against Georgia or Ohio State, they're recruiting against non-power 5 FBS schools. A business in the south or on the coast isn't going to put their money behind a non-power five school when they have 3 power 5 schools in the state and a couple pro teams. Advantage NDSU I believe.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
F:
As far as i am concern Tray Lance is a thing of the past and hope we never find another one like him. db

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trey further ruined his career thowing the dollars around. Advertisers dont like that

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw a program that said less than 40% of the players that entered the transfer portal last year received offers from other schools. Perhaps each should seriously consider if they are better off with the transfer. If you leave and don't receive another scholarship you most likely won't be welcomed back. Works for some but it's not automatic.

If playing time is the issue I'd bet it's a case of who adds the most to the team. Coaches who don't put the best players on the field or court generally aren't long-term.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was told Luepke was out due to shoulder surgery for the year.
Another said no as he enter the portal.
Which is it and will he be back next year? db

Last edited:

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was told Luepke was out due do shoulder surgery for the year.
Another said no as he enter the portal.
Which is it and will he be back next year? db
I think he wants to get better for the senior bowl. Getting injured already affects his draft stock and didn’t want to get hurt worse. He could decide to come back if he thinks his injury will effect him getting drafted but I feel like he will still be a high draft pick.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a stat yesterday that out of the total 13,000 FBS football players, over 1,000 have entered the portal. That's insane. I think it's advantage NDSU honestly. Their specialty is getting players that were disrespected by the big guys and developing them. Seems like a great opportunity to pick up some guys with chips on their shoulder. We will see how it effects big guys leaving NDSU. The three guys that left did so because they wern't getting the PT they thought they deserved. See ya later. I don't see what advantage it would be to leave NDSU and go to higher competition for someone like Trey Lance. You're already viewed as a high draft pick, keep on beating up on FCS schools and fluff up your stat book and draft status instead of risking being exposed by transferring to an FBS school IMO. And the reality is, most of the players at NDSU wouldn't be moving up to power 5 schools anyways so is it worth it? (I know one of the DBs that just left signed with K-State, but we will see if he ever sees the field) NDSU has a track record that if you want to go pro, you're just as likely to do it there as anywhere else if you got what it takes.

I would like to see changes to the portal where it doesn't open up until after the season. I think it's garbage that players are quitting on their teams before the season ends.

As far as NIL, again I think it's advantage NDSU. Schools like NDSU, SDSU, and MSU are rising to the top because they're mid-market cities with nothing else in the region. I think places like that have a net positive when it comes to NIL. A place like Fargo has enough big financial players in town and no pro team or FBS school to put their money behind. That includes the shole state and the oil field as well as businesses a couple hundred miles. NDSU doesn't recruit against Georgia or Ohio State, they're recruiting against non-power 5 FBS schools. A business in the south or on the coast isn't going to put their money behind a non-power five school when they have 3 power 5 schools in the state and a couple pro teams. Advantage NDSU I believe.
NDSU doesn’t need NIL to be the top team in the FCS. NIL is a waste of money unless they move up to the FBS. What conference will invite them is the big question.

The big three players that transferred out were getting playing time but maybe not enough? Sigle is the biggest loss and he was getting good playing time. WR and RB are replaceable but strange when the starters transfer out. NDSU transfers have a pretty good track record at playing in the FBS

Last edited:

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont like the portal ---- if was the NCAA - i would take the sarigan ratings and divide up the teams up in 3rds on the top 100 teams. 33 teams per league. NDSU would be in the second tier. If i was dougy i would close some schools in ND and combine Und and NDSU as one. We have a ton of MN students as learning changes (just give it some time it will) we run the risk of losing those.
Colleges need to be close and combined no doubt. Our legislators have not enough back home to change the state constitution so I bet status quo it stays

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Transfer portal is just an easy way for kids to quit if they don't like something or something doesn't go their way instead of working harder to get playing time. I know it was made with good intentions of being able to leave if the coaching staff leaves, but it's turning into a shit show now. Just another step in the wrong direction of society if you ask me.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bison fumbled and UIW should have had ball close to red zone. A FG would have tied it. They even replayed it and it was clear, not sure who they paid off on that one.
The announcers on ESPN kind of confused the issue as they said it was being reviewed as to whether or not it was a fumble. It was clearly a fumble and what the referee said was that they were reviewing the recovery to see who's ball it should be. All that being said, it was a very quick review and they said it was confirmed. I can only assume the replay official had a camera angle that showed something that the TV reviews either didn't have or didn't show as they were concentrating on whether or not it was fumbled. I didn't see anything that in my view confirmed that the Bison had recovered it on the TV shown replays. I do know that if I was a fan of the other team, I would have questions!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84