Black Stone Grills

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you still cook primitive meals with wood and briquets ? I mostly grill with propane because it's quick and convenience but for special occasions I cook with fire . The smell and taste of fire cooked meal can't be replaced.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you still cook primitive meals with wood and briquets ? I mostly grill with propane because it's quick and convenience but for special occasions I cook with fire . The smell and taste of fire cooked meal can't be replaced.
I actually have (and use frequently) a tripod grill over my backyard fire pit. It makes some of the best steaks, chicken, pork - you name it - that I cook! I do have a pellet grill and charcoal camping grill but neither of them come close to open fire meals.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I actually have (and use frequently) a tripod grill over my backyard fire pit. It makes some of the best steaks, chicken, pork - you name it - that I cook! I do have a pellet grill and charcoal camping grill but neither of them come close to open fire meals.
Brings out the caveman in you. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: LB

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have charcoal grill that I've used the last two nights.... so not primitive, but pretty dang close. That said, I don't like the briquettes... I don't feel like they hold heat as long, but lump charcoal is incredbile. Nothing beats it's flavor.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got a breeo fire pit that my wife uses a bunch to cook with the dutch oven. She has made some damn good peach cobbler

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two 28 inch one for lake and other for home. Perfect for small family.

Buddy has a 36inch - - it shines like having breakfast with bunch especially those 1am. breakfasts.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The 36" blackstones are great for big dinners, but in my experience, for a family of 5, it's rarely need. I'd also say they are mega propane guzzlers with all four burners on.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got a breeo fire pit that my wife uses a bunch to cook with the dutch oven. She has made some damn good peach cobbler
my brother is a dutch oven king. knows how many coals go under and on the lid to get the right temp. Makes pretty much anything you want.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have charcoal grill that I've used the last two nights.... so not primitive, but pretty dang close. That said, I don't like the briquettes... I don't feel like they hold heat as long, but lump charcoal is incredbile. Nothing beats it's flavor.

Interesting , Store bought or do you make your own ? DIY charcoal is on my bucket list.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we camp I use the campfire grate all the time. Steaks are best over open fire.

Honkerslayr

I bought a 22” blackstone roughly 4-5 years ago strictly for camping, mindset being I could keep it on my tailgate. I found myself using it more and more than my weber Q 220 and pitboss which I both keep at home. Its a great unit and makes phenomenal steaks and burgers. Like others have said though, make sure you go through the seasoning process. Also, I bought the hood which helped alot in windy conditions and a cover to help save the cast iron in moisture situations.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting , Store bought or do you make your own ? DIY charcoal is on my bucket list.
Store bought, usually royal oak. I stay away from Kingsford as much as possible because I read somewhere they soak they're stuff in lighter fluid. I never light my charcoal with lighter fluid, feel like it ruins the taste of the meat. One good thing about briquettes is the ability to evenly distribute heat because of their consistent size, but I've noticed they fall apart over time.

I can smoke/grill almost any food with lump charcoal for 60min, come back outside an hour after pulling my food and eating dinner and the grill will still hold a temp of 225.

Maybe someday when I'm retired I'll dabble in some DIY charcoal.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^By the time it's good for cooking any accelerant is completely gone. DO NOT DO THIS: Gasoline acts the same as charcoal lighter if given AMPLE time for fumes to dissipate: Not so "fun fact" if you're impatient. I've seen the fumes kill a lot of grass and produce some beautiful, artful dances at the point of "good enough/hold my beer".

Since I've gone this far: ZERO petro accelerants are safe indoors. If I need the fireplace to get up "faster" I'll light a bag of Frito's etc. or roll up a few paper towels soaked in cooking oil.

I may have took liberty with "accelerant" and "petro" as paraffin is also "fossil" fuel. It's the fumes which kill you.

That is all:

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^By the time it's good for cooking any accelerant is completely gone. DO NOT DO THIS: Gasoline acts the same as charcoal lighter if given AMPLE time for fumes to dissipate: Not so "fun fact" if you're impatient. I've seen the fumes kill a lot of grass and produce some beautiful, artful dances at the point of "good enough/hold my beer".

Since I've gone this far: ZERO petro accelerants are safe indoors. If I need the fireplace to get up "faster" I'll light a bag of Frito's etc. or roll up a few paper towels soaked in cooking oil.

I may have took liberty with "accelerant" and "petro" as paraffin is also "fossil" fuel. It's the fumes which kill you.

That is all:

I don't think I'd like the taste of fritos on my burger.... ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60