Blowing a 5 amp fuse

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ProV rear livewell would not turn on last weekend. I could run the recirculation pump, and front wells worked, but the big rear one wouldn't even light up the switch. Had a bag of breakers in the boat, replaced the 5 amp, and it blew again right away. Put a 10 in and its working great.
Is this a big no no, or is the pump getting weak, and this should work until it finally dies?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it doesn't start on fire it should be just fine. Maybe the wires will just melt first? Just watch it carefully to the end of the year. Then replace this winter/next spring.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd sure run it that way - it's likely getting near the end and needs to draw more than normal current to override the additional friction of the bushing that's getting dry and resisting rotation.

I'd be getting the replacement arranged ASAP just in case in fails prior to season's end.

Besides, it's insured, right?

1693343142447.png

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its 10 amps dude, it cant be any worse than the 50 amp camper running off my 10 gauge extension cord.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So back to this 5 amp deal, I am good right?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try it again with a 5 amp now that you have "broke it loose". Sometimes the cartridges get sand or other things in them and can bind, they will usually blow the fuse to protect the motor, if you pull them out and free spin them by hand or rinse them or sometimes even back flushing them will work to dislodge what is causing the problem. If it blows the 5 amp again your internals are probably going out on the pump, I am guessing it is at least 16 gauge wire so 10 amps shouldn't melt your wire but your pump motor may only be rated for 5 amps, so likely it will be the weak link with extended run time if it is actually drawing to much current all the time.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it's a rule cartridge pump it doesn't get much easier to change. The fuses blowing are showing there's a problem. It's also drawing more current from your battery which could shorten your day.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that the 10 doesn’t blow means you have no short and that the pump is simply drawing too much amperage. Which can be caused by several things and mentioned above. Running it like that may cause the wire to get hot enough to melt the jacketing. If it’s pulling 6 amps you’d be fine. If it’s pulling 9 amps it may melt. That being said there is also a chance the wire is rated for 10 amps and they just threw a 5 amp fuse in there. You could turn it on for awhile and feel the wire and see how hot it gets

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you take the chance? Rated for 5 and using 10, not what is supposed to be done.
Just order a new one and replace it, you aren't that busy that you can't fix it right and fix it now.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those pumps simply get sticky when they get long in the tooth. I’ve had them seize when sitting. I then popped it off and spun it by hand and it ran fine for a while after. It’s letting you know it’s time for a new one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84