Blowing a 5 amp fuse

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The fact that the 10 doesn’t blow means you have no short and that the pump is simply drawing too much amperage. Which can be caused by several things and mentioned above. Running it like that may cause the wire to get hot enough to melt the jacketing. If it’s pulling 6 amps you’d be fine. If it’s pulling 9 amps it may melt. That being said there is also a chance the wire is rated for 10 amps and they just threw a 5 amp fuse in there. You could turn it on for awhile and feel the wire and see how hot it gets
It also says the circuit is drawing less than 10 amps. For what it is worth, 20 Ga wiring I believe is rated for 11 amps. I would be surprised if your wiring overheated. I am not saying you have 20 gauge wiring, but am guessing it is very close to that. Is it easy to look at the wiring to approximate the size? Then you could sleep at night --- (actually when the pump is running. LOL)

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It also says the circuit is drawing less than 10 amps. For what it is worth, 20 Ga wiring I believe is rated for 11 amps. I would be surprised if your wiring overheated. I am not saying you have 20 gauge wiring, but am guessing it is very close to that. Is it easy to look at the wiring to approximate the size? Then you could sleep at night --- (actually when the pump is running. LOL)
Length of the wire plays a big roll in what size is needed. In a boat generally 20g is only rated for 3-5 amps depending on the length of run.
B2F7738D-D7FE-4D13-A5F5-01F402F69176.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m pretty shocked at everyone’s level of concern. I’ve never heard of something like a livewell pump getting wires hot enough to melt or start a fire. Main wiring of engine, yes… but a circ pump?

Manufacturers usually have very conservative tolerances on fusing. Going from 5 to 10 amp for a few trips end of season wouldn’t worry me one bit, but I’d have my spare with me for replacement if it dies.

I put easy disconnects in my pump wiring because it was a PITA to recrimp the new pump housing (with replaceable motor so all one has to do is plug/play).
https://www.spxflow.com/johnson-pump-marine/products/cartridge-aerator-pumps/

I have had the replacement cartridge pre wired laying in the same compartment, ready to go for 10 years. Of course the replacement hasn’t failed since. Figures.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m pretty shocked at everyone’s level of concern. I’ve never heard of something like a livewell pump getting wires hot enough to melt or start a fire. Main wiring of engine, yes… but a circ pump?

Manufacturers usually have very conservative tolerances on fusing. Going from 5 to 10 amp for a few trips end of season wouldn’t worry me one bit, but I’d have my spare with me for replacement if it dies.

I put easy disconnects in my pump wiring because it was a PITA to recrimp the new pump housing (with replaceable motor so all one has to do is plug/play).

I have had the replacement motor pre wired laying in the same compartment, ready to go for 10 years. Of course the replacement hasn’t failed since. Figures.
I appreciate the level of concern for my safety, figures you would be shocked at the fellow fisherman watching out for me.

I was always cautioning you on your mid life half pipe, you filthy stoner

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fat chance you of all people are going to have a fire.

You are, by all available evidence, absurdly lucky. (based on the evidence of quality of your life (good kids, where you live, your super-wife, etc.).

None of it makes ANY sense, based on the evidence. 🤓

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fat chance you of all people are going to have a fire.

You are, by all available evidence, absurdly lucky. (based on the evidence of quality of your life (good kids, where you live, your super-wife, etc.).

None of it makes ANY sense, based on the evidence. 🤓
Older guy at the lake that we spend our time around the campfire with states this same thing, but likes to take it a step further and directly asks mrs johnr "I bet you feel lucky waking up to that guy every morning". haha. What an old dick..

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who said we were concerned about you JaunR? ...duel...

I'm guessing the majority of us on here are more worried about Mrs. JaunR then you. ...rofl...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84