Boat took a crap

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My old boat gave up the ghost out on Sak the other day. Moritz says it's a scored piston and they don't work on old Evinrudes any more. Does anyone know someone who will work on old motors? It's a 1987 90 hp. My boat is a 1991 Lund Tyee II 1650 so if I have to look for another motor what would you suggest I look for. Boat is in excellent condition otherwise.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats too bad its kind of novilty to hear a 2 stroke give her the onion out on the lake.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you really like the boat and have no intention of ever getting rid of it, I would go to Jeff's or somewhere else and look for a lightly used 4-Stroke. http://jeffsoutboards.com/for-sale.aspx

You get out on the ocean and intercoastal waters you will see an awful lot of 15-20 year old boats with brand new engines. They put enough hours on them to where they go through 2-4 motors over the life of the boat. We are kind of strange up here in that we have a tough time convincing ourselves to repower an older boat.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add a question about your overall thought(s) on the rest of the motor. Does it have a ton of hours on it to where a lower unit or charging system are not only next, but soon? You would hate to sink $2-4k (I have no actual idea what it would cost to rebuild) into a new powerhead only to then have the motor nickel and dime you with $1k repairs shortly thereafter.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s.s. I would seriously consider upgrading to that 2014 4-S Yamaha with 115 horses under the hood. It would seem like a whole new boat if you put something like that on it!

Last edited:

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll stop in at Boatworks today to see what he says. Considering a couple of different options too. Found a 140 hp Evinrude V4 on Bisman for $1500 and an older 1984 Crestliner with a recently rebuilt Evinrude 140 V4 for $2000. I could junk out the old Crestliner and use the motor if it isn't too big for my boat. Anyone know if my boat could handle that 140?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll stop in at Boatworks today to see what he says. Considering a couple of different options too. Found a 140 hp Evinrude V4 on Bisman for $1500 and an older 1984 Crestliner with a recently rebuilt Evinrude 140 V4 for $2000. I could junk out the old Crestliner and use the motor if it isn't too big for my boat. Anyone know if my boat could handle that 140?

Coast Guard max hp rating for your boat is 100. I've always wondered, do you get in trouble if you go over that rating? Boat jail?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right? I think one has to upgrade to over size HP themselves - a dealer can get in trouble but I never heard of average Joe getting nicked.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You likely wont be able to insure a boat that is over HP

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36