This Old Boat

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last summer I cringed when I noticed my motor bouncing knowing the transom had a problem. After looking around not many would work on it and the ones that did wanted big $$$ to fix it. I decided to take it on myself with the help of my father. After digging into it, I found one rotten SOB. It took 4-5 evenings after work to complete. Apparently Lund had issues with models around the late 90’s and early 2000’s. My boat is a 2000 Lund Angler. I used a composite replacement from Lund. The old girl is going to the detail shop this week and she’ll be ready for another 19 years;-). Don’t be too afraid if you have the tools and a place to work. The worst part was getting to the inner fasteners and having to remove the foam.

- - - Updated - - -

3CAEBF7E-44A3-4CC4-82D6-A9BF33863ECC.jpg

54174BBA-373E-4609-BAA6-92B79D693030.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

B38B5E6A-1BBC-489E-881E-219622F617DF.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

70A9D4A4-93B8-4071-A64B-625A3D92B6F1.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a LOT of work, looks like you'll be ready for whatever spring run you choose to participate in.

Once we made it through the rationing of metals at the end of WWII, there should never have been so much as 1 toothpick worth of wood in a boat. Those who see it otherwise deserve a brass knuckled Ivan Drago Donkey Punch.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They ain't your daddy's Lund anymore. Schultz to think they absorbed that thieven into the price.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much did Lund charge you for the new transom? For me, it was a fun but spendy project. Gibbons Fiberglass in Bismarck made a composite one for my Crestliner. Crestliner has the same issue during those years. Same company and not covered by the warranty. If I was looking at new, I would look elsewhere.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious if you are able to get down the bottom of the transom ---- does it lift out and then what -- how to do take out all the splinters at the bottom of that damn thing

Remember the 1990s --- how a boomers can screw up something that was forever a piece of history. If you would of said back then that tracker was going to start building ranger boats people would of laughed in your face --- and now thats where were at and Forrest is building aluminum boats. Hope ole Mr. Woods is using composite.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am curious if you are able to get down the bottom of the transom ---- does it lift out and then what -- how to do take out all the splinters at the bottom of that damn thing

Remember the 1990s --- how a boomers can screw up something that was forever a piece of history. If you would of said back then that tracker was going to start building ranger boats people would of laughed in your face --- and now thats where were at and Forrest is building aluminum boats. Hope ole Mr. Woods is using composite.

Attachments

CE0C1A13-2FA5-4AF9-93D7-83D99B694002.gif

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much did Lund charge you for the new transom? For me, it was a fun but spendy project. Gibbons Fiberglass in Bismarck made a composite one for my Crestliner. Crestliner has the same issue during those years. Same company and not covered by the warranty. If I was looking at new, I would look elsewhere.

$500 for the composite transom.

- - - Updated - - -

Digging out the old was a PIA. Most of it was done by shredding it with a pry bar and vacuuming it out. I ended up using a piece of PVC and taping it to the vac hose to get to the bottom.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one I got from Gibbons Fiberglass was spendier than that.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This scares the shit out of me being the owner of a 1999 Lund. However, my transom still appears to be very solid. I tilt my motor up and than bounce up and down on the lower unit and there is no wiggle at the transom. Is this the best way to check this?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nightmares about this very thing. Mine is a 2008. If and when, I think it will be going down the road....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
This scares the shit out of me being the owner of a 1999 Lund. However, my transom still appears to be very solid. I tilt my motor up and than bounce up and down on the lower unit and there is no wiggle at the transom. Is this the best way to check this?

Pretty much. I’d just make sure everything stays sealed up. Moisture is the gremlin.

- - - Updated - - -

I have nightmares about this very thing. Mine is a 2008. If and when, I think it will be going down the road....

I think they changed things in 2007 and began to offer lifetime transom warrantee(original owner maybe). Not 100% sure, but remember reading that somewhere.

JakeV

I replaced the transom on my 2002 1850 Fish hawk a couple years ago, it's a pretty straightforward process if you are handy. I was able to use a pry bar on top of a board at the bottom of the hull and get the big chunks out. Had to use a shop vac for the smaller pieces. I went the route of marine grade plywood epoxied together and coated in epoxy for the replacement transom. So far it is holding up very well but if you have the extra money a composite transom would probably be a better option. Lots of info out there on forums like "The Hull Truth" and "Tin Boats" regarding transom replacements.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 04 Alumacraft Tiller and this is my fear for the future. Everything appears to be sealed up well now, but who knows what happened in the past. Was super clean when I bought it so that is good I think but a guy has to wonder. If this happens to me, I think it would be a good project for my dads shop in the winter if timing works out. Or, could be just the bargaining chip I need for an upgrade! Nice work there Captain!

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a dumbass design, all it would need is the wood on the outside of the aluminum and it would last for 50+ years. I just did my 1958 crestliner for the first time this last summer and only the inside wood was bad. The stuff on the water side was still good.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last summer I cringed when I noticed my motor bouncing knowing the transom had a problem.

Screenshot_20200327-173454.jpg

You did some really nice work getting the old stuff out and cleaned up ready for the new transom to go in.

I also like the way you came up with an auxiliary pull starter. Now that's some out of the box thinking!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88