Boating legal ?

campchef

Honored Member
Been fishing the Missouri river for 46 years. Probabaly only 100 boats from the tailrace to South Dakota in those early days. I think I've probalby seen it all. It won't change. Newbys will continue to ground out on sand bars, hold up launching at the ramps, cut lines, anchor in honey holes and just generally screw with your mind. However, I've found some of my best and rewarding fishing by trying to get away from the masses. To me it's not about filling the livewell anymore.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago while fishing the stumps just south of the dam, wife's cousin and I are anchored and banging the shit out of the eyes and a guy cruising by sees us catching fish. Pulls up next to us maybe 20 feet away from where we are casting and drops anchor, so we start banging jigs off the side of his boat without saying a word to him. He takes the hint and motors up in front of us and proceeds to snag our anchor line and has a big enough sack, to ask us to pull the anchor and unhook his 30 cent jig from the line. Cousin and I look at each other and start laughing. I told him "Yep, nope it ain't gonna happen and tell him he might as well cut your line". He does and with a pissed off look just leaves us to ourselves.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same experiences every body of water, similar situations in Lake Erie years ago. Ten miles from shore, no other boat in sight. Half hour later, boat motors comes off plane and sets up 30 feet away. Buddy lands 8 pouder, looks at it disgusted shakes head and throws it back. Other boat jaws hit floor, they pick up and leave. Funniest thing I ever saw fishing. To the original poster, if you are anchored motoring vessel must stay clear (Except in navigation channel) both parties are responsible to avoid collision. I will have to check ND regulations but general rule of thumb is motoring vessel must stay 100' away and is responsible for any damage wake causes. Next time take a picture and send to NDDNR and see if they can contact boat owner. May end up in a ticket. If both vessels are drifting, they both must stay clear. Personally I take Campchef's approach, I try to stay away from other boats. Usually I don't like the music they are playing, or the audio fish alert they have on (those were really annoying). I find I don't catch as many fish, but tend to catch larger fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84