Boating legal ?

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I need help from you all, need to know if I missed the law change that I cannot anchor and fish out of an anchored boat on the Missouri River in ND. Background, I pull into a spot today and not a boat in sight for over 1/2 mile and anchor and start fishing. About 15 minutes later a boat is driving by and my partner sets the hook and catches a fish. The boat slows turns comes over and goes just above us, not a problem for me lots of water around me. Said boat starts drifting beside our boat about 10-20 yards over, still not a big deal for me, then about 40 ft. or so decides he can cut right in behind my boat over where our lines are. After about 10 minutes of them holding there and coming closer partner confronts them, they finally slide down a ways. About 15 minutes later they are coming back up my ass and finally cut to the side and go around. About 15 minutes later I catch a fish and turn to put in live well and they are cutting across my bow and about 5 ft from the bow and over my anchor rope. At this point I get real cranky and say some things that don't normally come out of my mouth. The dick in there boat running the trolling motor says we shouldn't or cant anchor any more, at this point my listening skills were a little skewed. They did move above us and then leave. I would fully understand this if we had come in on there drift and cock blocked them but there was no one remotely close when we anchored. DID I MISS A LAW CHANGE THAT I CANNOT ANCHOR FISH ON THE RIVER IN ND NOW, if I did miss this I sincerely apologize to these young entitled anglers that apparently couldn't find there own spot or fish. If I am in the wrong I do really apologize and if shown the law I boke in writing will never anchor fish the river again and if the law wasn't changed and I didn't break any laws then you three entitled a$$@#$*$ can kiss mine. I appreciate any legal insight on my wrong doing. thanks, rant over and tight lines to all. dukgnfsn

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Should have taken a picture to shame them. Only way to keep them from being a dick again

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's time to Start pitching a Zara spook

- - - Updated - - -

Power pro and lower unit like each other$$$$$$

- - - Updated - - -

What age and what type of boat? Just curious;:;popcorn

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
What age and what type of boat? Just curious;:;popcorn[/QUOTE]

I guess 65 with a 92 red lund and black johnson motor:;:thumbsup

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Netted a northern on Wednesday. We had three boats move in on us. The Missouri is the new sakakawea.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the last couple years the enjoyment of fishing the river has really wore off to the point that I fished it twice this spring and could care less if I fish it again. This is around Bismarck. IMO the river fishes small as there are really only small spots that actually hold fish. I actually had the same thing happen to me while anchored up down at hazelton. Was a rainy day with hardly anyone out. Me and the boy anchored in a spot all to ourselves and started whacking them. When some guy pulls in with his girlfriend so close to the front of my boat that he hooks my anchor rope damn near threw us out of the boat. It was a very small spot that was holding fish and we never were able to set back up in the spot. I had to hold back my language with the boy in the boat. It’s just not relaxing for my anymore.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good as it was before the 2011 flood. Limits of two to four pounders seemed to be a lot easier. I find myself having to work way harder for fish on the river now. Could have to do with the increased boat traffic I’m not sure.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have taken a picture is correct, I was just so shocked when I turned around and they were dam near in our boat and had a fish in my hand to put in live well but from now on I will be taking pictures and posting them. I have no problem sharing an area and wont anchor if other people are already fishing an area but there was no one in sight. For me anchoring slows down my presentation and seem to help me put a few fish in the live well this time of year. And I fully agree with Sun1 that the river down south of town has not been the same since the flooding. Either fish are further north or I haven't adjusted to the changes in the area and fish since the flood.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring fishing period is full of aggression just like deer opener. Overrated. My brother (wa) and I both put bulk of time in the latter part of year vs beginning. My camper is next to the ramp. By early July the ramp is empty. The scons sotes leave too

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty sure that’s not a thing OP. Also pretty sure the other boater gets his news from Facebook.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the river so low, it’s forcing boats to congregate even more than normal unfortunately. I’ve seen a few dick moves and saw one guy get yelled at, but overall people have been pretty courteous when I’ve been out. I even had a guy stop and latch my bow strap and safety chain for me before he went and got his own truck.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm just curious on what you guys all think. And I'm not trying to take anything away from this situation but what if the guys was drifting and just coming back to the beginning of his drift and in the mean time someone came and anchored in his drift. Who's in the wrong. None of us own the river (or wee all do depending on how you look at it)and we should all be courteous to each other when we are out there. Be safe and let's keep it civil on the water.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In the above scenario, anchoring there isn’t the problem. The problem is the guys not practicing and boat control and almost wrapping up the rope in the prop. Nor can you make up rules on the spot.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a boat around when we anchored and the boat in situation came from up river from beyond sight and was heading downstream, bet dollar to donut the only reason they stopped was they seen partner set hook fight a fish and were deserving of what someone else had found. There was plenty of room around us to fish and not pull a dick move like that
I'm just curious on what you guys all think. And I'm not trying to take anything away from this situation but what if the guys was drifting and just coming back to the beginning of his drift and in the mean time someone came and anchored in his drift. Who's in the wrong. None of us own the river (or wee all do depending on how you look at it)and we should all be courteous to each other when we are out there. Be safe and let's keep it civil on the water.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
not a boat around when we anchored and the boat in situation came from up river from beyond sight and was heading downstream, bet dollar to donut the only reason they stopped was they seen partner set hook fight a fish and were deserving of what someone else had found. There was plenty of room around us to fish and not pull a dick move like that

Sorry I wasnt trying to say you were the one to be in the wrong. Just was trying to make a point. All scenarios are different (my above happened to me) and people do stupid things to get fish in the boat. I hooked up this weekend and let my daughter reel it in and as you can imagine it drew attention and had guys just about on top of me. One came in down stream and anchored. And I for got to hit spot lock and just about hit them. The take away was we all treated each other with respect and had a good time. Did it irritate me that all these guys came in within 5 ft of me. Yes but they have just as much right to be there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84