Bow upgrade to garmin

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished out of a Garmin sponsored boat last season during the Governors Cup and I can tell you that Garmin is the real deal. At that point they hadn't partnered with Navionics yet so the mapping wasn't the greatest but the sonar was incredible. Their side/down imaging quality was better than anything I've ever seen on the water and I've fished both lowrance and bird units with my boat running lowrance. The boat was also equipped with panoptix and it was awesome watching down or back and seeing in real time what was about to happen. In my opinion Garmin is top notch and will definitely be on my next boat.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished out of a Garmin sponsored boat last season during the Governors Cup and I can tell you that Garmin is the real deal. At that point they hadn't partnered with Navionics yet so the mapping wasn't the greatest but the sonar was incredible. Their side/down imaging quality was better than anything I've ever seen on the water and I've fished both lowrance and bird units with my boat running lowrance. The boat was also equipped with panoptix and it was awesome watching down or back and seeing in real time what was about to happen. In my opinion Garmin is top notch and will definitely be on my next boat.

Well if that doesn't sell you on it I don't know what will. Well said sir.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My q again ndskeeter have u compared it to mega everybody tells me mega is light years ahead. I don't want to part with the extra $$$ if I don't have to. My plan is to leave my 900series as a map only and get either the mega or Garmin. The Garmin they sell at gpscity or one of those websites for fraction of cost. Humminbird is holding at same price. Garmin models bigger than 10inch get spendy.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My q again ndskeeter have u compared it to mega everybody tells me mega is light years ahead. I don't want to part with the extra $$$ if I don't have to. My plan is to leave my 900series as a map only and get either the mega or Garmin. The Garmin they sell at gpscity or one of those websites for fraction of cost. Humminbird is holding at same price. Garmin models bigger than 10inch get spendy.
I haven't been on the water to see what the mega imaging is all about so it'd be really hard for me to talk about that. The bigger garmin models do get spendy but I don't think you need the biggest screen to be happy when the product is great. I guess if you really want to get into the details between the 2 units i'd get in contact with Danny Thompson who is the regional sales guy for Garmin. He is a straight shooter and will give you honest feedback.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short, the MEGA's are the real deal when it comes to si and di. I just went through this rigging my new boat. I love the lowrance 2d and the hds models but they dont compare to the MEGA when it comes to si and di. If I were going to run a non mega unit I would be giving a garmin a shot. I might try one out for the 2d anyway because I like what I saw when I was shopping.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys ---I see the light -- i can buy almost 2 9" units for the price of one mega bird.

oldschol

Switched over to echomap 93sv from lowrance. The Garmin is a way better unit than my hds 10. You won't be disappointed going to garmin its nice to see some competition for lowrance and birds, they're pricing is laughable anymore. There are way better units out there than either one of those 2 brands, for way less money.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the advice. I am quite sure the 93sv will be on my boat this spring. Looking for a sale.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a used echomap93sv Panoptix, pretty excited to use it this weekend ice fishing.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used a Garmin 1242xsv all week.
I was very impressed.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been doing some digging and have a question for those that may know. Too many boats to rig...

Striker Plus vs the sv series? The Striker Plus has the CHIRP, Down, and Side-imaging. So does the SV series I have been unable to see any perceptable difference other than pricepoint.

Thoughts, suggestions, input....

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell, Ebay deal new 93sv for $650 I couldnt pass it up.
Check the transducer to see if it is the 2 or 3 crystal one. the 2 crystal one has terrible down imaging as it combines the 2 side images for the down. that's probably why it is so cheap.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they still manufacture the two crystal? If not, what is the cut off.
Will a guy get burned buying a 2018 model or did they discontinue them sometime last year?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it terrible -- have you run it in person or from some lowrance luver?

- - - Updated - - -

you can get the old and they just had one come out this month that has some "ultra something".

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen it in person but was going to put another 93sv on the bow and was doing some research on prices when I came across the info on the lawsuit with lowrance. I believe the new ones ship with the 3 crystal again. If you do a little looking there are some chat rooms that tell you which transducer is a 2 or 3 I'm not sure which is which. The info I came across about the lawsuit is where I heard that the down imaging was terrible compared to the Birds and Lowrance.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Here is the informaton on the new "High Definition Scanning". Similar frequencies as HB.

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-re...-unveils-ultra-high-definition-scanning-sonar

No mention of lawsuit that I've found yet. Post up if you find as I'm interested.
I've been a Lowrance guy for a long time but Garmin really has their poop in a group when it comes to technology and they can bring their salt water technology to fresh water units with little patent infringements. At least that is what the Garmin guy told me at the last sports show.

If this is really the offering they can sell I'm all in as you get so much for for you buck with Garmin.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34