Brainstorming 2nd Ice Unit Options

JTSCHRO

I currently have a Humminbird Ice 55 that I use as my primary unit in the winter. I really enjoy the 55 but would like a second unit, for friends and family that fish with that don't have one, or back up for myself.

I've been driving myself crazy weighting my options, when today I had an idea. I also own a Helix 9 SI G2, that I use in my boat, currently collecting dust. When I bought it I had no intentions of using it for ice, because it was too big, and I imagined it would really eat up battery.

But what if I mounted on the new Lithium Shuttle? I've heard of guys running an LX 7 three days with one charge, so this might solve the battery issue.

I'd still have the bulk issue, it wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon pale, but for $350 ($250 Lithium Shuttle & $100 ice transducer), I'm thinking I'd have a better setup than anything else for that price range.

Anyone ever use a Helix 9 on the ice? Or am I better off buying a different unit? I'd welcome any thoughts/suggestions!

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to get a Helix 7 for a few other reasons to use during ice fishing to go with my ice 55. Your 9 might be a bit on the big side but if it was me I think I give it a try for smaller amount you would have into it.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never used an open water graph for ice fishing. But really considered it. Came down to the Helix 7 and the Marcum LX-7. I ended up going with the Marcum, I think the 2 things that pushed me towards the marcum were: I don't have a boat so the helix would strictly be a winter unit and I liked the big screen on the LX7.
Basic functions and buttons didn't really factor in all that much when it came down to those 2. Biggest difference I think is the mapping abilities of the Helix.
So I bought the LX7, and now have an ICE-35 and a LX7. Marinegeneral has the lowest price on the LX7 I found, 680$ shipped. Have to add the unit to your cart to see the price.

Honestly if you already have a Helix 9, 350$ is a fairly cheap investment for a basically new and powerful ice machine. I think I would get the Shuttle and ice ducer if I were you.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go go it. I have used an hds 7 for a couple of years. It will be bulky. But, not a whole lot bulkier than an lx7, helix 7 or hds 7.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a sonar phone is the answer. They run $120 and are small. Then your friend can use their personal phone and not bust something that's yours.

JTSCHRO

I've been trying to put this together. I figure worst case scenario I'm stuck with an extra ice transducer and power cord, but could always slap another unit on the shuttle.

Couple hurdles I've come across so far:

- It appears the mounting bracket on my HELIX 9 will be too wide and block the charger, which is on the left side on the Shuttle.

- Sounds like there has been a software update released by Humminbird, that is needed for the ice function. I've never updated my software and don't know how. I'm sure I can figure it out.

- The only PC 11 power cord I can find is 6 feet, obviously much longer than the 6 - 12 inches needed.

My biggest concern is the mounting bracket being too large and not being compatible with the Lithium Shuttle. If this is the case, plan B would be to mount it to a Genz Blue Box, in which case I'd have to find a battery. Does anyone know of a stand alone lithium battery I could purchase equivalent to what comes in the Marcum Lithium Shuttle?

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
JTSCHRO,
Keep us updated and post pics of finished product. I also have a Helix 9 that I was considering trying to use for both boat and ice applications. Good Thread. Thanks

Fish On!

Waterfowler

Converted my Helix 7 G2 GPS model from boat to ice. I love it so far don't have it on a lithium shuttle and can fish overnight trips in the wheel house on one battery. I downloaded the software update on the micro/sd card and had it installed on my helix in 5 minutes really easy and the update is awesome for the ice side of things. As far as the GPS part goes you cant beat it. If moving house to new spot I turn unit on set it on center console and drive right to where I want to fish saves a lot of time drilling holes looking for the spot on the spot. You wont regret the conversion. Let me know if you have any questions.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a humminbird onix unit for my GPS on the ice and a LX 7 for my flasher... i have a buddy who uses a helix 9 and a ice 45... i used to use a lowrance elite 5 but the refresh rate is too slow for me... a traditional flasher or the LX 6/7/9 style is much better, you can see the fish immediately when they come in, on the elite 5 there was a delay and i would miss a lot of fish

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I purchased the helix 7 si g2 right after xmas. I mounted it to my battery box that I made. I have two of the regular flasher batteries in it. I have only tried it one time as have been working and other things have come up, but it lasted all day 9 am until 7 pm the day I used it. Was my first day using the helix, and pushed a lot of buttons that day also trying to figure out how to run it. Hope this helps!

JTSCHRO

Bad news. I'm hearing the HELIX 9, 10, & 12 currently do not have a compatible ice transducer. I thought the Humminbird Xi-9-1521 ducer would work, but I guess not, it only works with the HELIX G2 5 & 7.

The part that threw me off was my unit does have a flasher mode, but I guess you can only use it with it's standard summer transducer, which I thought was odd, and would have limited applications...

On top of that, the bracket is waay to big for the shuttle, you would have to drill new holes, and off set the unit so you could still get at the shuttle charger. I'm guessing having it off set like this would make the whole set up pretty unstable due to the size.

I'm pretty bummed out, thought I was on to something.

Plan C might be mounting my HELIX 9 to my snowmobile handle bars, find a place to mount the Dakota Lithium Battery luvcatchingbass posted, and use it strictly as a GPS.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
instead of getting a separate battery for it if you are going to mount it to your snowmobile (guess if its electric start) get a 2nd power cable and wire it to the battery in the sled and put a switch inline so you can kill the power... or if you have a cigarette lighter outlet just put an adapter on the end of your new cable and bingo bango you can put it in any vehicle (thats what me and my buddy do)

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
instead of getting a separate battery for it if you are going to mount it to your snowmobile (guess if its electric start) get a 2nd power cable and wire it to the battery in the sled and put a switch inline so you can kill the power... or if you have a cigarette lighter outlet just put an adapter on the end of your new cable and bingo bango you can put it in any vehicle (thats what me and my buddy do)

Boom. Exactly what im gonna do

JTSCHRO

1.jpg3.jpg5.jpg4.jpg2.jpg

UPDATE:
Finally finished my project. Didn't end up trying out a transducer, but still got all set up with GPS for my snowmobile. The blue box worked pretty well, although fairly heavy, it was surprisingly balanced. The black box attached the handle bars was made out of wood and sprayed with liquid rubber. Everything fits nice and snug, I'll probably through a tarp strap over it to hold it down, but might not even need one. Just in time for my trip to Flag Island this weekend. Anyway, figured I'd share some pics of the finished product.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88