Browning A500

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well went and got my wife got my Christmas present this weekend. First new shot gun i have ever owned only ever shot the wingmaster my dad gave me. go do some pattern and then chase pheasants on thursday. its the franchi affinity 3. I wiped it down and there was not alot of grease any where. Any thing else i should do before shooting it and what lube should i use on it?

Recommended to run a couple dozen target loads thru it,loads under 1300fps hopefully she cycles well for you,in this cold weather be mindful of what lubricant you use on your new thunder stick,keep away frem oil

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well went and got my wife got my Christmas present this weekend. First new shot gun i have ever owned only ever shot the wingmaster my dad gave me. go do some pattern and then chase pheasants on thursday. its the franchi affinity 3. I wiped it down and there was not alot of grease any where. Any thing else i should do before shooting it and what lube should i use on it?

Recommended to run a couple dozen target loads thru it,loads under 1300fps hopefully she cycles well for you,in this cold weather be mindful of what lubricant you use on your new thunder stick,keep away frem oil

Got some 2 3/4 5 shot that is 1250 going to go pheasant hunting on thursday but i can run some trap loads through first . I saw that rem oil was a no go from alot of people

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got some 2 3/4 5 shot that is 1250 going to go pheasant hunting on thursday but i can run some trap loads through first . I saw that rem oil was a no go from alot of people[/QUOT

Agreed run some trap loads thru her 1st,clean up the residue and give her hell.is goose season still open in your area? bet you're loaded up with honkers along the river,few years back over xmas I hunted with a old timer from chamberlain on the brule rez,always had a good shoot late season there.

Yeah rem oil turns to honey in the cold,no good for semi auto's.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got some 2 3/4 5 shot that is 1250 going to go pheasant hunting on thursday but i can run some trap loads through first . I saw that rem oil was a no go from alot of people[/QUOT

Agreed run some trap loads thru her 1st,clean up the residue and give her hell.is goose season still open in your area? bet you're loaded up with honkers along the river,few years back over xmas I hunted with a old timer from chamberlain on the brule rez,always had a good shoot late season there.

it closed up here last weekend. Have to go Pierre and south most geese are gone up here now. Trying to put something together to get a few more goose hunts in down there

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever hunt the rez?.south brule hunts are run bynon native farmers,they have pits along the river,they drive you out to the pits,natives charge a small daily fee to hunt,every 5th hunt is free.north side of the river is free,no daily hunt fee,pits dug on the ridge line over the years,best to get there before sunrise to watch flight pattern to feed then make you're move to intercept,great pass shooting if ya got your shit together.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever hunt the rez?.south brule hunts are run bynon native farmers,they have pits along the river,they drive you out to the pits,natives charge a small daily fee to hunt,every 5th hunt is free.north side of the river is free,no daily hunt fee,pits dug on the ridge line over the years,best to get there before sunrise to watch flight pattern to feed then make you're move to intercept,great pass shooting if ya got your shit together.

Nope i have never been down that far south. Only drove through there a few times is all

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought you are from the pierre area? not that far from the lower brule rez, on the north side of the river we hunt is above the river's big "U" just north of FT thompson pretty sure there is a power plant or some such thing that keeps the river open,geese hang out maybe all winter unless it snows alot,food and water is all it takes,tough sob's.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought you are from the pierre area? not that far from the lower brule rez, on the north side of the river we hunt is above the river's big "U" just north of FT thompson pretty sure there is a power plant or some such thing that keeps the river open,geese hang out maybe all winter unless it snows alot,food and water is all it takes,tough sob's.

Mobridge 100 miles north of pierre. I have hunted around bushes landing and that area but thinking of making a trip farther down south my kid is ate up with shooting ducks and geese so he wants to go some more. I want to get the puppy on a few more hunts to.

- - - Updated - - -

we are going to do some serious spring snow goose this year to

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lucky you have a youngster to share your time with,some of my best memories hunting was with my dad,wish we had camera phones back then. Gotta enjoy your time with him now as most often our youngens out grow hunting with dad and venture off with friends as they grow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88