Browning A500

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No shit lol. I’m staying away from browning. Only two guns I’ve had issues with were brownings. And one was a damn bps pump. Snow I think I’ll do a 28” on the ethos. What you think. 95” of the shooting will be pheasants

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
No shit lol. I’m staying away from browning. Only two guns I’ve had issues with were brownings. And one was a damn bps pump. Snow I think I’ll do a 28” on the ethos. What you think. 95” of the shooting will be pheasants

good choice,if your over 5'8...short feller might want to down size.3" chamber? After your brain damage with that browning,you'll have piece of mind shaggin pleasants with that dandy etho.I suggest you put a nice coat of wood floor wax on that baby right out of the box and clean up the packing grease,benelli packs em heavy with grease usually,at least the SBE's.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
good choice,if your over 5'8...short feller might want to down size.3" chamber? After you brain damage with that browning,you'll have piece of mind shaggin pleasants with that dandy etho.I suggest you put a nice coat of wood floor wax on that baby right out of the box and clean up the packing grease,benelli packs em heavy with grease usually,at least the SBE's.
I’m 5-9”. You think 26”? Yes 3” for sure

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll be fine with a 28" barrel,you'll like the longer sight plain,another tip for cleaning consider using "tri flow" oil when oiling the barrel and rec'ver as tri flow won't soften or darken the wood its nice light oil but most often folks use a heavy oil (like rem oil)when cleaning they're shotgun then store it standing up right in gun case or safe,heavy oil then slowly leaks down penetrating the wood,usually where the stock meets the rec'ver is the worst,it will soften this area,turn dark and cause stock to loosen over time,little italian gunsmith from ithica/perazzi fed me this info for my trap gun and he's spot on.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little change of subject here. Finished up a project. Quite a number of years ago my dad lent his BLR 243 to my oldest son. He didn’t have a gun cabinet so kept it in a plastic gun case. Put it away damn the last time he used it. Sat in there for a couple years. I found it and opened it up and the thing was a total rust bucket. So I tore it apart and took the navel jelly to it. Then had to spend hours sanding to get the pits out. Reblued it with brownells oxpho blue. It’s works pretty damn good. The wood finish was lifting and stocks were looking pretty piss poor. So I refinished those as well. For what kind of shape it was in it doesn’t look half bad now. I figured it was destroyed.

Attachments

98901E5F-4B97-471C-B26F-B59A2F7AB091.jpg DCA629E3-ACE1-4A8A-BFF3-C06B6DC1DE25.jpg C15D8ABA-2FE8-490D-AC48-371CD8483F10.jpg

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
whatever you do not attempt to take a part the action on that blr unless you're calm, collected, and have up to several hours of free time. What a headache trying to get that gear timed right putting it back together.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little change of subject here. Finished up a project. Quite a number of years ago my dad lent his BLR 243 to my oldest son. He didn’t have a gun cabinet so kept it in a plastic gun case. Put it away damn the last time he used it. Sat in there for a couple years. I found it and opened it up and the thing was a total rust bucket. So I tore it apart and took the navel jelly to it. Then had to spend hours sanding to get the pits out. Reblued it with brownells oxpho blue. It’s works pretty damn good. The wood finish was lifting and stocks were looking pretty piss poor. So I refinished those as well. For what kind of shape it was in it doesn’t look half bad now. I

figured it was destroyed.

Nice job,good save vs the shit can,worthy of another day in the field,your dad would be proud.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
whatever you do not attempt to take a part the action on that blr unless you're calm, collected, and have up to several hours of free time. What a headache trying to get that gear timed right putting it back together.
I did tear it apart. But I scored a brand new field manual for $6 lol. Would have been screwed without it lol. It’s pretty easy with the manual after you decipher it for awhile.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Found a great deal on a Benelli Vinci. Any users?

I know a couple guys who shoot them, one guy wore his out which isn’t the guns fault and another guy had some issues with it cycling from time to time. Saw a synthetic Vinci for $800 at Sportsmans during Black Friday.

Why are you ruling out the Benelli Montefeltro?
Benelli quality without the crazy price tag.

- - - Updated - - -

I am getting an franchi affinity 3 here in a few weeks. If I doesn’t live up to what I want the wing master will always be ready to roll. Getting the 28” in optifade marsh. Any insight on choke tubes a lot of guys I know use pattern master and Carlson. Any experience with rob roberts chokes I have heard good things. https://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/chokes/t3-triple-threat

I would try out the factory chokes first before buying aftermarket. For most mid range shooting I found my Franchi stock chokes worked great, but I did buy an aftermarket choke for long range shooting. I don’t shoot that choke unless I am pass shooting or the birds are not coming in close. IC cylinder is what I shoot most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

retay? there ya go again,just because it functions like benelli don't make so,just sayin,go benelli or beretta and call it good otherwise retay stoeger franchi its another dice roll.
My Retay hasn’t had a problem but I really haven’t shot any light target loads yet. Same goes with my CZ 912 automatic. Never heard of any issues with Franchi shotguns. My A300 has worked great on light steel loads.

You don’t need a Benelli or Beretta to have a reliable shooting gun.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote:My Retay hasn’t had a problem but I really haven’t shot any light target loads yet. Same goes with my CZ 912 automatic. Never heard of any issues with Franchi shotguns. My A300 has worked great on light steel loads.

You don’t need a Benelli or Beretta to have a reliable shooting gun.

why take the chance? in the shotgun world you get what you pay for,nothing worse than a malfunction in the field...sure a guy can buy a stoeger semi auto,maybe get a few good years for under $800 then the wheels fall off ,back to square one,hard to beat a well proven machine if a guy uses his tool everyday thru out the fall.But that's my take...like I said earlier in this thread had cycling issues with mySBE2 after 15 years shooting SBE and SBE1 not one hic-cup... switched to beretta based on gunsmith recommedation and shooting 3k rds on a barrowed AL391 in argentina w/o cleaning it not one cycle issue,benelli was aware of cycling issues on SBE2's ,over hauled now the SBE3 bigger and better than ever but we'll see,SBE3 I tested have a high POI out of the box 100% at 30yds off dead center but that's a good thing on cross shots or going away rising shots on windy days,shooter can float the target rather than cover target inside of 50yds.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn’t franchi use the same internals as the benelli? I thought that is what I read while researching the affinity. Benelli has the spring in the stock while the franchi has it on the magazine return tube.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds right Kurt,also the franchi barrel is not inner changeable,must be fixed,only reason to change out a barrel is you run over your shotgun or decide to shoot slugs or skeet,not sure if franci has stainless rec'ver guts or chrome lined barrel like benelli but if a guy only gets out a few times/season just for fun does it really matter?

most factory chokes are okay but you get a better than average pattern with a specialty choke,guys that shoot heavy loads like BB,BBB,T's do just fine with I/C OR Skeet factory chokes or close in shots over dekes with smaller sized pellets but compared to what a pattern compares to MOD or IM shooting #2's 'and smaller shot thru a extended ported choke is night and day for pellet consistency on target,the plus with ported chokes is to minumize barrel jump,quicker getting on target 2nd and 3rd shot,thats the theory although some claim felt recoil reduction.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds right Kurt,also the franchi barrel is not inner changeable,must be fixed,only reason to change out a barrel is you run over your shotgun or decide to shoot slugs or skeet,not sure if franci has stainless rec'ver guts or chrome lined barrel like benelli but if a guy only gets out a few times/season just for fun does it really matter?

most factory chokes are okay but you get a better than average pattern with a specialty choke,guys that shoot heavy loads like BB,BBB,T's do just fine with I/C OR Skeet chokes or close in shots over dekes with smaller sized pellets but compared to what a pattern compares to MOD or IM shooting #2's 'and up thru a extended ported choke is night and day for pellet consistency on target,the plus with ported chokes is to minumize barrel jump,quicker getting on target 2nd and 3rd shot,thats the theory although some claim felt recoil reduction.

From what i can find it says the barrels are chrome lined and the internals are stainless steel. I see franchi sells replacement barrels for the affinity line also. I do alot of shooting from doves all the way through geese and plan on even more now that my kid has been bit really hard by the waterfowl bug

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been shooting my grandpas old model 59 Winchester. Damn that’s a sweet little semi auto. Really light. But only chambered in 2-3/4”. I actually have two identical ones he gave me. Both were factory full chokes. My kid used the one I’m shootings on steel and he solid the barrel on it. Cheapest replacement barrel I could find was $175. One day at cabelas in Rogers mn I was looking through a table that had anything in it for $30. Saw a barrel laying in there and holy shit it was a barrel for a model 50 Winchester. It works on the model 59. And it had an imsco adjustable choke in it. So I scored it. Been working like a champ. Love this little gun. 100 rounds or so and not a single issue and I can’t tell you when it was broke down and cleaned last. I’m doing that this evening.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyexer,you have too many toys....must drive your wife nuts....but its a good hobby.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been shooting my grandpas old model 59 Winchester. Damn that’s a sweet little semi auto. Really light. But only chambered in 2-3/4”. I actually have two identical ones he gave me. Both were factory full chokes. My kid used the one I’m shootings on steel and he solid the barrel on it. Cheapest replacement barrel I could find was $175. One day at cabelas in Rogers mn I was looking through a table that had anything in it for $30. Saw a barrel laying in there and holy shit it was a barrel for a model 50 Winchester. It works on the model 59. And it had an imsco adjustable choke in it. So I scored it. Been working like a champ. Love this little gun. 100 rounds or so and not a single issue and I can’t tell you when it was broke down and cleaned last. I’m doing that this evening.

Be careful what ammo you run through the 59. They're noted for cracking the AL receiver @ the back of the slot cut for the bolt handle to slide. There's a round spot in that slot @ the very end. They crack @ about 4:00 (in the circle, not time of day) and the crack runs back to the front of the buttstock.

I too have a 59 but I only shoot AA target loads through mine.

Non-issue for the M50 with it's steel frame.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know I just read about that. This guns whole life all it’s seen are heavy game loads. 1-1/4 oz is the smallest I’ve shit through it although I haven’t shot it much. 100 rounds tops. But my grandpa shot it for upland for thirty plus years using heavy game loads. Not a crack in it. I’ll have to look at the other one I have to see if it shows any sign of cracking.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well went and got my wife got my Christmas present this weekend. First new shot gun i have ever owned only ever shot the wingmaster my dad gave me. go do some pattern and then chase pheasants on thursday. its the franchi affinity 3. I wiped it down and there was not alot of grease any where. Any thing else i should do before shooting it and what lube should i use on it?

franchi.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93