Bushcraft camping

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about this very thing.
Thought it would be something fun my son and I could do.
I just started making a list of things I want to buy that are made
for backpack camping. That lightweight equipment can get expensive fast!

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
What sleeping bag are you using.
well i have a sleeping bag that is made for camping out in your living room haha.. it was just an old school bag that we had in the closet and i could never even find a rating on it to tell you but it not made for camping in the snow thats for sure, but i never did get cold the fire kept me warm and the shelter held in the heat pretty decent, would have been much better if that damn wind didnt start whipping at about midnight

- - - Updated - - -

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about this very thing.
Thought it would be something fun my son and I could do.
I just started making a list of things I want to buy that are made
for backpack camping. That lightweight equipment can get expensive fast!

ya thats no lie, i just used quite a bit of stuff that i had already had and bought a few things like that nice tarp and the stainless can i have for boiling up water and cooking you can get away being cheap with some of this stuff, i bought all of my stuff from amazon and read a lot of reviews and havent been disappointed!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i have a sleeping bag that is made for camping out in your living room haha.. it was just an old school bag that we had in the closet and i could never even find a rating on it to tell you but it not made for camping in the snow thats for sure, but i never did get cold the fire kept me warm and the shelter held in the heat pretty decent, would have been much better if that damn wind didnt start whipping at about midnight

- - - Updated - - -

Ok i am debating the down vs synthetic fill but think i am going to go with the out door vitals 0 degree bag with 800 fill down

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr, have you looked @ a Marmot Sawtooth bag? I looked at a lot of bags before I bought that one. I had first hand advice from a couple buddys that run them out in Colorado every year. It got down to around 24 degrees for us when we camped in Colorado last year and the bag was awesome, actually had to open it up a couple times because I went in with too much clothing!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a real bad hankering to do this in the spring along the Red when I lived in GF and I knew the eyes were on the chomp. Pre-bug time and hungry walleyes...I'm not sure why I never did it! Figured I'd set up the rods with some little jingle bells and play "summer rattle reels" until the sun came up.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a real bad hankering to do this in the spring along the Red when I lived in GF and I knew the eyes were on the chomp. Pre-bug time and hungry walleyes...I'm not sure why I never did it! Figured I'd set up the rods with some little jingle bells and play "summer rattle reels" until the sun came up.

let me remind you
1807510_630x354.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr, have you looked @ a Marmot Sawtooth bag? I looked at a lot of bags before I bought that one. I had first hand advice from a couple buddys that run them out in Colorado every year. It got down to around 24 degrees for us when we camped in Colorado last year and the bag was awesome, actually had to open it up a couple times because I went in with too much clothing!!

i have but it is only 650 down and the 15 degree only 2 ounces lighter than the 0 degree outdoor vitals. Wish i could swing the western mountainering bag but that is not happening this year

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've wanted to do it in the fall. Just never have yet.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I learned is that the advertisements for the degree ratings are pretty loose. Some of the 0 degree bags I looked at that advertised as 0 degree was actually the survival rate (you will not freeze, but you will not sleep either). I believe the Sawtooth is @ 15 degrees for "comfort" and "survivability" is like 5 below. I would have to look at the tag to verify. I bought one of the said 0 degree bags trying to save some coin and spent one long cold a$$ night in the badlands, 26 degrees. I am definitely not knocking the vitals bag, but giving food for thought. At the price, weight, and degree for that bag if it does hold up in the temp that's pretty damn good.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2582.jpg
Here is a pic of one of my "bushcraft" camp sites. We were backpacked in a ways. It gets pretty chilly in mid November at night

back country camping: where u spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next stop, Naked and Afraid!! No pics please
pic heavy for sure.. ill be sure to send them to your inbox also just to make sure you dont miss them!

- - - Updated - - -

I've wanted to do it in the fall. Just never have yet.
well lucky you you have someone that lives near you that has great experiences in survival and shelter building through mild ND weather, i can go with and make sure we survive and you can be the fishing guide... ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

My wive lets me drink beer in the garage.
i dont have a garage...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the Wookie Suit base layers and you can add about 20 degrees to a bag's temp rating.

Wookie Suit bottoms for the uninitiated:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...bottoms/_/N-1101035/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104037480

I have the puffy pants and coat if it comes to that and they are light and pack down small.

One thing I learned is that the advertisements for the degree ratings are pretty loose. Some of the 0 degree bags I looked at that advertised as 0 degree was actually the survival rate (you will not freeze, but you will not sleep either). I believe the Sawtooth is @ 15 degrees for "comfort" and "survivability" is like 5 below. I would have to look at the tag to verify. I bought one of the said 0 degree bags trying to save some coin and spent one long cold a$$ night in the badlands, 26 degrees. I am definitely not knocking the vitals bag, but giving food for thought. At the price, weight, and degree for that bag if it does hold up in the temp that's pretty damn good.

I have talked to people who have used and have real world results. That is the nice thing about the direct to consumer is they can save a bunch of money. Like Kuiu

20171104_150429.jpg
Here is a pic of one of my "bushcraft" camp sites. We were backpacked in a ways. It gets pretty chilly in mid November at night

back country camping: where u spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

I cant wait to get the cimaron out and be back in there. Just about have the stove done. About warm enough to set up and seem seal

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
No bushcrafting at my house..................................................she shaves. ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 261
  • This month: 223
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76