Buy a Silencer

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decided to take a walk through the sportsman’s expo and happened upon the Dakota Silencer booth. Moral of the story, I’m $925 poorer.
Congratulations I did the same thing a year ago and had the wife with and I was on the fence but she made the mistake of saying if you want one go ahead. I am still waiting for it, another two to three months I am being told. They need to figure out a way to speed things up 14 to 15 months is ridiculous

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got an email within the last month from them saying if you spend about what you spent you would get a 22 rimfire can for free.

I didn't get that email and he didn't mention it. Maybe it was if you had been a customer before?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the email, they are all gone already. Bought another one today, he said 5-7 months wait now.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to figure out a way to speed things up 14 to 15 months is ridiculous
Is yours in a trust? I went the non-trust route to avoid added wait, paperwork, and cost. When I went in to pick up my tax stamp and silencer after 8 months, my FFL said he still had guys waiting more than a year.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is yours in a trust? I went the non-trust route to avoid added wait, paperwork, and cost. When I went in to pick up my tax stamp and silencer after 8 months, my FFL said he still had guys waiting more than a year.

yes it is a trust in my name only I wanted to be able to add my wife and son at a later date and was told this was the best route

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
465 days from purchase to possession

Attachments

05E00DD6-C1D6-4831-981F-4FEE4F2DF7D8.jpg

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
After all the goverment paperwork, bullshit, and wait time they actually sent it usps priority mail and when My daughter got home from work there it was sitting on my deck by the door

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
You’ve got me convinced. What is the best one, and all that? Or is that question like asking what’s the best pickup, hunting dog, rifle caliber?

A word to you younger shooters -after a lifetime of shooting,handloading and hunting ( not to mention noisy old tractors, noisy airplanes before headsets, rivet guns, grinders, etc) all I can say is PROTECT YOUR EARS, DAMNIT! Or you’ll end up pretty well deaf even with the help of top of the line very expensive hearing aids plus thousands of bucks in Bluetooth gadgets in order to even partially understand anyone talking, and despite all these hearing gadgets you’ll still be severely handicapped in a crowd, restaurant, noisy place, etc.

The cost of a suppressor or even 4 or 5 of them is NOTHING compared to lifelong hearing gadgets! Unfortunately suppressors get a bad rep with well meaning people who don’t know better from the patched in pfft sound you hear and see on the boob tube and movies every day! Every film clip of supressor use is for a bad purpose, a killing, a robbery, etc. Like guns, GOOD and lawful uses of supressor are never shown! That’s what worries me about the passage of the hearing act. Get the emails going!,

I sound like a supressor salesperson, which I’m not, but shooting dogs with a buddy a while ago made me a convert. No, they are not perfect, but WOW!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the can in! Now just to finish the coyote rifle.

Is that the Varminter 4.0? Let us know how you like it. I have a 2.0, a 3.0, and now a 4.0 on the way.

- - - Updated - - -

You’ve got me convinced. What is the best one, and all that? Or is that question like asking what’s the best pickup, hunting dog, rifle caliber?

There are many good ones. Possibly the most consistently highly regarded are from Thunderbeast. However, I don't have one because Dakota Silencer makes a hell of a can (Mack Bros of Sturgis, SD makes them) at a decent price, and they make the whole process as easy as it gets. I'd look at the Varminter 4.0 in 30 cal. That's what I have on the way: https://www.dakotasilencer.com/varminter-4-in-30-cal-all-titanium-modular-silencer-take-apart/

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a 3.0. They came out with the 4.0 about a week after I bought this one. Still a little bitter about it. Planning on heading to the range this weekend at some point. I had my 270 wsm threaded as well. Now, to find the caps for the exposed threads.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent my through Scheels in Bismarck who sent it to SD to have it threaded
Which gunsmiths are good barrel threaders?

- - - Updated - - -

This is a 3.0. They came out with the 4.0 about a week after I bought this one. Still a little bitter about it. Planning on heading to the range this weekend at some point. I had my 270 wsm threaded as well. Now, to find the caps for the exposed threads.

Didn't it come back with a cap for the threads

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota Silencer now has a CNC machine that they thread barrels. Uses a local guy for my 17HMR and then Dakota Silencer for my .308. bother were done well, but it was only a 2 week turn for Dakota Silencer vs 5 or so weeks with the local guy. I know

Dakota was indicating they were shipping directly back to you.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41