Sub MOA for $199??

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had scheels price match a gun a few years ago. When I asked if they would, the guy said they would not match online prices. When I asked if they would match runnings he said he would. Only reason Runnings did not get the sale was the color of the stock was different and was going to cost more for me to order the color I liked as it was peak Sandy Hook aftermath. When the manager found out how much the difference was he was not happy. He called runnings and asked the guy like 4 times the model number because he would not believe me or the guy at running’s. In the end they did price match and I did enjoy the manager getting red in the face.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Scheels one I saw on their website has a Weaver scope instead of a Bushnell. Will scheels still match the price?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe. I've had pretty good luck with them matching price on a number of different items (including online prices). The only one they couldn't was a closeout price on a Sig Sauer Tango 6 on Optics Planet.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the Cabela's site it says they are sold out and don't show a price so what do I show them so they match it? Was this ad ever in print?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe. I've had pretty good luck with them matching price on a number of different items (including online prices). The only one they couldn't was a closeout price on a Sig Sauer Tango 6 on Optics Planet.

Are Sig optics crap? The specs look good, but I’ve lost confidence in their quality standards.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are Sig optics crap? The specs look good, but I’ve lost confidence in their quality standards.

I love my Tango 6, and I got it for a steal. Built very solid and tracks perfectly. They definitely put some thought into it and designed it for a real shooter.

I also love my Kilo 2200 range finder, but I had to go through some anguish to get it. I bought the 2000, it performed at about 1/4 advertised, sent it in, bitched at them for 6 weeks, and they sent me a new 2200, which again, is the cats ass.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have shot through several Sigs they were all impressive. I would by one in a heartbeat

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up the Compass .223 today. I’ll add updates to the OP on page 1.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This refrigerator magnet sticks to the receiver and barrel, confirming the gun is made of steel, not polymer or aluminum.
EC87F4ED-8206-42FA-9C8B-F43CCF80D6DF.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Marlin X7 in .243 for $199
http://palmettostatearmory.com/marlin-x7-243win-70384.html

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just received an email today that Boyd's now makes stocks for the compass as well.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just received an email today that Boyd's now makes stocks for the compass as well.

WHAT?!?!? I emailed Boyd’s today and asked “Any plans to produce a replacement stock for the Thomson Center “Compass” line of rifles?”

This is the response I received TODAY: “Hello, I apologize I have not heard of any plans yet.”

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the Cabela's site it says they are sold out and don't show a price so what do I show them so they match it? Was this ad ever in print?
The Cabelas gun salesman in Sioux Falls, South Dakota told me the Savage sale has been over for a month. He didn't appear interested in selling anything inexpensive. Sort of turned his nose up.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a problem with the threaded barrel: I noticed that where the barrel is threaded, the shoulder has a rounded taper and is not square. This means that if the muzzle brake or silencer you’re attaching doesn’t have a taper, it might not screw down flush and won’t sit perfectly straight. A less-than-perfectly-straight silencer means baffle strikes. That’s a great way to ruin your barrel, rifle, and personal safety.
sexy-women-of-independence-day-fourth-of-july-america-11.jpg

Here’s a pic with a thin brake shim/washer. See how the shim can’t contact the shoulder? that’s a problem.
sexy-women-of-independence-day-fourth-of-july-america-12-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s a pick of a muzzle brake and a direct-thread mount for a silencer. The brake on the left must be aligned perfectly upright. In order to accomplish this, you have to use shims as you tighten it down. This muzzle brake would NOT work on the Compass barrel.

On the right you see a direct-thread adapter. This allows me to screw the silencer right on the barrel. You’ll see that it has a tapered shoulder. No shims are required for installing this. CHECK YOUR SILENCER TO MAKE SURE IT HAS A TAPERED SHOULDER LIKE YOU SEE ON THE RIGHT IN THIS PICTURE.
B3440727-260F-4E70-9F06-35CC5815E383.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for pointing this out. I ordered a varmint stock just now for $148 shipped. Cost of this rifle is now up to $380. It better be good.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
When did Sioux falls get a Cabela's
Ooops I was in Scheels in Sioux Falls. The Cabelas was in Kansas City, Kansas. I had been stopping in them and Bass Pro all the way back from the Smoky Mountains and Shiloh civil war battlefield. I never did get my hands on a Thompson Center Compass.

Crappy trip. They say you don't get shingles more than once. I took the shot two years ago and still got them on this trip for the fourth time. In Tennessee I found an open walk in clinic Sunday morning. In and out in 20 minutes. If you get meds within 72 hours you can stop shingles. Two days later things were good, but I drove so many miles each day I didn't know up from down by the time I got home. The wife had back surgery so we had to take brakes. Scheels, Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Fleet Farm worked good for that. :)

Last edited:

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
24E9D94C-5FC5-46D0-8702-335A25154CD1.jpgYes I just looked at my email again. It’s true about the Boyd’s stock.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You Bismarckians can get a TC Compass for $255 + tax at Dick’s. Comes to like $196 after rebate and sales tax. I paid $220 for mine after rebate and transfer fee. Now I feel like a chump. I don’t like Dick’s cuz they’re dicks, but I’d definitely ask Scheels to price match.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/s/weekly-ad

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
You Bismarckians can get a TC Compass for $255 + tax at Dick’s. Comes to like $196 after rebate and sales tax. I paid $220 for mine after rebate and transfer fee. Now I feel like a chump. I don’t like Dick’s cuz they’re dicks, but I’d definitely ask Scheels to price match.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/s/weekly-ad

F dicks. Price match Scheels or spend the extra $25 and don't support the liberal bastards. I am kind of curious about this gun. I've never seen exitment like this chasing the cheapest gun possible.

Last edited:

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Scheels carry these Thompson Center Compass rifles?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a TC Compass in 300 win mag. I wanted a larger caliber that I can use for elk (hopefully in the near future) and use for deer as well if needed. So far I am pleasantly surprised with the gun. I cleaned and oiled it up and took it to the range yesterday. First shots I didn't even hit the target at 100 yards. The scope that came with the gun was off... A lot.

Moved target to 25 yards and found out I was way to the right and a bit low, but group was really tight. Dialed er left and up and took target back out to hundred yards. Still was shooting a bit right, but was a couple inches high at 100, which is right were I want it. Dialed a little more to the left and she is dead on now! Tight groups. Wasn't able to go out past 100, hope to do that soon.

Overall seems like a great gun for the price. I will say the stock is nothing special, so will upgrade eventually. Thought she would kick like a mule, but didn't think it was bad at all. Of course had some layers on though as it was a bit nipply out there yesterday.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88