Barrett Fieldcraft Rifles

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
At this point, I should probably just give SDMF a credit card and instructions to come back with a rifle. This is my most recent fascination. The Fieldcraft seems to be a lot more than just a copycat Kimber Montana. The similarities stop at “lightweight rifle with carbon fiber stock.”

The first thing that gets my attention is the enlarged muzzle for mounting a silencer. The more I learn about threading muzzles on lightweight barrels, the more I’ve learned that it’s “full retard” to put 7/16” threads on a long skinny barrel for the purposes of mounting a suppressor. Barrett came up with a simple solution:
393BC490-2802-42AE-840D-7BFE917F9F7D.jpg

Other points of interest:
- double stress relieved barrels that prevent accuracy from going to hell when the barrel heats up
- long box mags to accommodate longer bullets (3.02” for the short actions) and
- tight barrel twist rates
- 3 scope ring holes on the front ring so you can move the ring forward or back on the receiver to better accommodate your scope and eye relief
- larger scope ring base screws
- a more closed/angled grip
- one piece bolt held in place by intelligent seating and a pin
- room made throughout action so dirt has a place to go
- “perfect” feeding (according to Barrett)
- multiple reports of 6.5 CM being sub-MOA with pretty much any load you feed it
- stocks individually fitted and serialized to the action

There’s some other stuff. I’ll update the OP when my memory is jogged.

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm beginning to dislike some of you hoodlums more and more.
You guys are a bad influence but at least you give me more to dream about

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a review in Field and Stream (or some such), and I was like "meh". Appeared to be another Rem 700 clone.
However, the extended mag well and the way they did the muzzle are pretty smart.
Alas, they don't appear to come in left hand, so they can get bent as far as I'm concerned.

Update: Upon further research, they seem to be considering / planning a left-handed model, so I may have to retract my bending statement.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a review in Field and Stream (or some such), and I was like "meh". Appeared to be another Rem 700 clone.
However, the extended mag well and the way they did the muzzle are pretty smart.
Alas, they don't appear to come in left hand, so they can get bent as far as I'm concerned.

Barrett says lefties are on the way but it will require more investment. They need to sell more of their initial run before they can start cranking out wrong handed models.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is an.308 on rokslide brand new for 1499.00 right now. Luke moffat is the guys name to search

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
At this point, I should probably just give SDMF a credit card and instructions to come back with a rifle. This is my most recent fascination. The Fieldcraft seems to be a lot more than just a copycat Kimber Montana. The similarities stop at “lightweight rifle with carbon fiber stock.”

You could essentially call Barrett's Fieldcraft a Gen 3 commercial Ultralight Arms.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I picked up a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor after the rest of the team passed on it. It has the 21” barrel but I’ve been measuring and believe it to be a suitable candidate for threading and a silencer. It’s currently -22 outside and I don’t expect to be firing the gun anytime soon. Looks like I need to start a “6.5 CM handloads” thread.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick update: I’m selling all my rifles now that I have a Barrett Fieldcraft so keep your eye on the classifieds.

Long story short, I had the Barrett barrel threaded 1/2”x28 and mounted a suppressor on it and it’s an absolute dream to shoot.

Full disclosure: I don’t hunt much anymore. I am a poor shooter. Lightweight rifles are my kryptonite. I shoot them with the finesse of a dog dragging his ass across a rug. Before adding a silencer, I went through a box of Hornady 140gr ELD Match barely able to keep a group under 3” with this rifle. After threading the barrel and adding a silencer, I put together one 5-shot group @ 100 and it was a 1.15”. A friend who is a much more experienced shooter shot a single 5-shot group at 200 yds and it was 1.55”.

Details:
- 7 lb 12oz is the total loaded weight of rifle with silencer. The scope is a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 (~15oz) on Talley rings.
- The silencer is a Silencerco Omega 300 (14.5 oz) directly threaded to the barrel (as opposed to a quick detach mount). I don’t know if I’d mount a silencer on a 21” featherweight barrel with a heavier silencer.
- The Barrett barrel is fully bedded to the end of the forend. I believe this helps to reduce harmonic imbalance and barrel droop that may have been more pronounced with a free floated barrel.
- Recoil was cut by 30-40% with the silencer. Muzzle rise was virtually nonexistent. No joke.
- My silencer has a brake (of sorts) on the end of it. This brake combined with the 14oz weight on the end of the barrel are the reason for the incredible reduction in recoil. A silencer without this brake would likely still help quite a bit, but not as much.

Conclusion: If you’re willing to spend more than $1k on a hunting rifle and you buy anything other than a Barrett Fieldcraft, you’re probably a Communist who hates Jesus, America, electronic lottery applications, and titty sprinkles.

A few pics:

The action and barrel are glass bedded to a serialized carbon fiber stock. The bedding runs from the action to the very end of the stock.
987C29AC-516C-4437-BA74-8A04E3790F90.jpg

This is what a decent shooter can do with a suppressed Fieldcraft at 200 yds
68D470BF-A877-4C92-B646-13D5C365F6B0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy on rokslide who lives in Alaska killed 17 animals with that exact rifle and suppressor set up. To include a brown bear with two shots. I am in need of a bigger 30 I think for some reason and one of those in 300 win mag suppressed sounds like a good idea I think

Journey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody in the state have one to hold? Looking hard at Bergara Mountain for the next purchase.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody in the state have one to hold? Looking hard at Bergara Mountain for the next purchase.

Grand Forks Scheels had one a couple weeks ago. I'd call ahead before driving there to see.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick update: I’m selling all my rifles now that I have a Barrett Fieldcraft so keep your eye on the classifieds.
I put together one 5-shot group @ 100 and it was a 1.15”. A friend who is a much more experienced shooter shot a single 5-shot group at 200 yds and it was 1.55”.

Didn't you shoot better than that with your "cheap" Rem 308 and cheap commie ammo?

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Fieldcraft seems to have many quality features and an ultimate lightweight mountain gun. I wouldn't expect to shoot super tight groups but you don't need tight groups for a moderate range big game gun. I would imagine with a suppressor it would decrease the recoil to manageable amount in larger calibers.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Fieldcraft seems to have many quality features and an ultimate lightweight mountain gun. I wouldn't expect to shoot super tight groups

Well, the above 200yd group is 3/4MOA with factory ammo.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, the above 200yd group is 3/4MOA with factory ammo.

I guess get one in a magnum when they come out and see if you can get the pencil barrel to shoot. The group he shot was great for factory ammo hell it is great for reloads with that light of the barrel. I have shot enough sporter weight guns to know you cant expect superior accuracy with a lighter barrel. Like I said the accuracy of his gun is way more than you need to kill a deer at 400 yds on in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90