Barrett Fieldcraft Rifles

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess get one in a magnum when they come out and see if you can get the pencil barrel to shoot. The group he shot was great for factory ammo hell it is great for reloads with that light of the barrel. I have shot enough sporter weight guns to know you cant expect superior accuracy with a lighter barrel. Like I said the accuracy of his gun is way more than you need to kill a deer at 400 yds on in.

IME, light rifles shoot quite well, but, they take a LOT more concentration on consistent shooting form to do so. Heavier rifles aren’t magically more accurate, they’re just easier to shoot well.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IME, light rifles shoot quite well, but, they take a LOT more concentration on consistent shooting form to do so. Heavier rifles aren’t magically more accurate, they’re just easier to shoot well.

I agree

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy on rokslide who lives in Alaska killed 17 animals with that exact rifle and suppressor set up. To include a brown bear with two shots. I am in need of a bigger 30 I think for some reason and one of those in 300 win mag suppressed sounds like a good idea I think

Barrett doesn’t (currently) make the fieldcraft in magnum calibers. They do make long action 25-06, 270 Win, 30-06, and 6.5 swede. If the guy on Rokslide detailed his exploits and you have a link, do share!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barrett bought the rights to the Forbes Rifle Company line. Then went to full SS action/bbl, put in a Timney trigger, used their own barrels with twist rates that allow buyers to take advantage of where projectile R&D has gone. Additionally, they've increased the space within the internal box magazines for the same reason. Lastly, they've chambered/throated them so that high BC bullets can be seated at or into the lands and still cycle through the magazine.

Showing some proactive thinking, they also introduced suppressor friendly barrel lengths, a shoulder to support the suppressor, and obviously threaded.

IMO, the Fieldcraft is a shining example of what can be done by a rifle company, run by folks who are, and prioritize shooters/hunters first. They're doing all of the things that folks previously paid gunsmiths thousands of $$ to do, often with significant lead times.

The real novel thing about the Barrett, is that the diameter of the action is sized for non-magnum cartridges with the payoff being a significant weight savings and a very slim profile that's easy to manipulate. Upsizing diameter to accommodate magnum cases sort of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barrett bought the rights to the Forbes Rifle Company line. Then went to full SS action/bbl, put in a Timney trigger, used their own barrels with twist rates that allow buyers to take advantage of where projectile R&D has gone. Additionally, they've increased the space within the internal box magazines for the same reason. Lastly, they've chambered/throated them so that high BC bullets can be seated at or into the lands and still cycle through the magazine.

Showing some proactive thinking, they also introduced suppressor friendly barrel lengths, a shoulder to support the suppressor, and obviously threaded.

IMO, the Fieldcraft is a shining example of what can be done by a rifle company, run by folks who are, and prioritize shooters/hunters first. They're doing all of the things that folks previously paid gunsmiths thousands of $$ to do, often with significant lead times.

The real novel thing about the Barrett, is that the diameter of the action is sized for non-magnum cartridges with the payoff being a significant weight savings and a very slim profile that's easy to manipulate. Upsizing diameter to accommodate magnum cases sort of defeats the purpose.

The opposite being Remington

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Let’s not forget that after making all these improvements, Barrett is turning out the Fieldcraft at 1/2 the price of a Forbes/NULA. It’s not just a great rifle, it’s a freakin’ steal at $1,600. (...although some of us have paid less :;:thumbsup)

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does the rifle weigh in a short action? I see your finished weight earlier, but it includes scope and rings, silencer and likely a sling. I've got a Kimber and was going to buy another, but the Ascent, coming in at 4.13lb.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn’t weigh it before I set it up but others have listed weights between 5lb, 0oz and 5lb, 2oz naked.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With a 120 grain bullet the 18 in barrel gives up 200 fps and 140 grain bullet gives up 150 fps vs 26in barrel.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Impressive. And priced maybe less than the Kimber? You got it through Scheels?

ETA: Scheels doesn’t carry the Fieldcraft. I don’t think Cabelas does either.

To my surprise, I found one (barely) used online. Bought it and had it shipped to an FFL in Fargo, paid $20 for the transfer. They can be found new online for under $1600 shipped. Just make arrangements with an FFL to receive the shipment. Most independent dealers charge $20-25 for the transfer. Send me a PM if you need help locating a reputable online seller or lining up a licensed dealer to do the transfer.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just started shooting the 6.5 creedmoor less than a year ago. In that time the rifle has taken 5 caribou alone only 1 of those caribou was inside 200 yards and 4 of them were beyond 300 yards with the furthest two at 450 and 470. Zero issues at all. I would use either with confidence. Pick whatever you want. The 6.5 is good for well beyond 400 yards.

Both will work great shoot the one you like better.

I wouldn't let a extreme remote grizzly bear chance steer you towards a .308 over a 6.5 if you are favoring a 6.5. I have seen a number of grizzlies killed with 243 and 308s in the past and this one here died this year to a 6.5 well beyond the suggested 400 yard limit:

3Gkj7o4.jpg

Here is what i found i know he has a whole topic on the barret but i cant find it right now

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bear Attack.jpg
Your not supposed to be attacking me because your supposed to be dead after I shot you with my 6.5 Creedmoor from 700yds. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. I do agree with you a little bit Kurt as to use a gun you can shoot well.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The creedmoor line of cartridges are to-date, the most properly thought out and properly executed line of center-fire cartridges AND rifles ever offered to the shooting/hunting community.

Any joking I do around the Creedmoor, is exactly that, joking/sarcasm.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reviving this thread now that I have a rifle tag in the mail...

This spring I bought a case of cheap Hornady ammo, figured I could use it for practice and making brass to reload. Finally got a chance to try it out at the range today. I only put 5 rounds on paper @ 100 yds:

227BE9A2-CF52-4CFF-96A1-D0334F4A8604.jpg

- Hornady “Black” 140gr BTHP 6.5 Creedmoor ($14/box on sale)
- Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Bed Wetter (21” bbl threaded by Connor Severance, Wyndmere)
- Leica 2.5-10x42 ER
- Sico Omega
- Total Loaded weight 7lb 12oz

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just so we’re clear, Fieldcraft isn’t another Rem 700 copycat. Here’s pics of the fieldcraft bolt compared to a 700 SA bolt.
0ECDBF2E-831F-44AA-BAEE-78DF0A3AFD12.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

8381D84F-2CEB-4D25-B1F4-D0130F2C9D80.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally paid Leon at Fargo Scheels a visit with the Barrett. He and Josh fiddled with it a little and asked a few questions, seemed genuinely curious. My fingers are crossed, hoping we start seeing Fieldcraft rifles at Scheels in the not too distant future.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 165
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90