Barrett Fieldcraft Rifles

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone know if Barret is in fact planning on coming out with magnum calibers in the fieldcraft?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought we’re this year was expecting those at shot but guess I haven’t heard much lately

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabelas online has these rifles in a few calibers on sale $1500. But they are the non threaded barrel the way it looks to me

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
So why one of these rifles over say a mountain ascent, Christensen, etc...? Just curious! Thanks for the info.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shit, I don’t know man. I just buy what the guys here tell me to buy.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So why one of these rifles over say a mountain ascent, Christensen, etc...? Just curious! Thanks for the info.

- Barrels are double stress relieved. This prevents your groups from walking as much when the barrel heats or cools. Also allows you to hang a suppressed on an ultralight barrel.
- tighter/better rates of twist
- longer mag box for higher BC bullets
- glass bedded from the factory
- significantly slimmer/lighter proprietary receiver and bolt, not just a Rem 700 remake
- stouter screws for mounting scope rings
- proper comb height
- timney trigger
- improved stock geometry that “tames” recoil
- grooved bolt is functional: gives dirt/debris a place to go
- dovetailed bolt handle so if you fall down a mountain and break it off, it’s easily replaced.
- accurate as hell. I sold my “bench rifle.”

Kimber/Christensen are fine rifles but not anywhere near the same league as a Fieldcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

If it’s ‘as pictured’ the fact that it’s not threaded for a suppressor is enough to get me to look at sumpin’ else.

Conner Severance in Wyndmere threaded my 21” Fieldcraft barrel for a suppressor. Fantastic work, $100.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
- Barrels are double stress relieved. This prevents your groups from walking as much when the barrel heats or cools. Also allows you to hang a suppressed on an ultralight barrel.
- tighter/better rates of twist
- longer mag box for higher BC bullets
- glass bedded from the factory
- significantly slimmer/lighter proprietary receiver and bolt, not just a Rem 700 remake
- stouter screws for mounting scope rings
- proper comb height
- timney trigger
- improved stock geometry that “tames” recoil
- grooved bolt is functional: gives dirt/debris a place to go
- dovetailed bolt handle so if you fall down a mountain and break it off, it’s easily replaced.
- accurate as hell. I sold my “bench rifle.”

Kimber/Christensen are fine rifles but not anywhere near the same league as a Fieldcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Conner Severance in Wyndmere threaded my 21” Fieldcraft barrel for a suppressor. Fantastic work, $100.

What’s your percent cut from each rifle sold? Bed Wetter is excellent at 2 things: wetting the bed, and selling Fieldcrafts!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know if Barret is in fact planning on coming out with magnum calibers in the fieldcraft?

At this time, doesn't look like it will be this year anyways. They didn't have any magnums listed at SHOT show.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Christianson is a large diameter Rem 700 clone so the weight and ergos will never equal the Barrett. Christianson also uses a B&C Medalist stock which is good, but not as good as what Barrett uses. Not sure what Christianson does for bedding.

Kimber has a great stock, a great trigger, 8x40 mounting holes, a claw extractor/fixed blade ejector, and a small diameter action which makes for great ergos. Kimber beds just the action to a master, not individually for each rifle, and again, only the action is bedded. Also Kimber uses SAAMI specs for twist rates and chambering as well as 2.8" magazine boxes for short actions.

Barrett individually full-length beds each barreled action to each stock, uses their own barrels, uses a Timney trigger, uses twist rates, chambering dimensions, and magazine boxes that allow for use of the higher weight/lower drag projectiles.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s your percent cut from each rifle sold? Bed Wetter is excellent at 2 things: wetting the bed, and selling Fieldcrafts!

I’m not useful for much, so I try to make myself useful when the opportunity presents itself. Let me know if you ever need a mattress pissed on.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

What magnum are you interested in, why, and what for?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably something not overly sexy. One of the .300 mags I suppose. I’d like a gun that isn’t super heavy to carry around and can handle the suppressor I already have. I’ve mentioned the Kimber before and will get that fixed soon but I don’t think I could get it threaded for a can.

Or maybe I’ll just keep the Kimber and wear ear plugs because it crosses the other things off.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick update: I’m selling all my rifles now that I have a Barrett Fieldcraft so keep your eye on the classifieds.

Long story short, I had the Barrett barrel threaded 1/2”x28 and mounted a suppressor on it and it’s an absolute dream to shoot.

Full disclosure: I don’t hunt much anymore. I am a poor shooter. Lightweight rifles are my kryptonite. I shoot them with the finesse of a dog dragging his ass across a rug. Before adding a silencer, I went through a box of Hornady 140gr ELD Match barely able to keep a group under 3” with this rifle. After threading the barrel and adding a silencer, I put together one 5-shot group @ 100 and it was a 1.15”. A friend who is a much more experienced shooter shot a single 5-shot group at 200 yds and it was 1.55”.

Details:
- 7 lb 12oz is the total loaded weight of rifle with silencer. The scope is a Leica ER 2.5-10x42 (~15oz) on Talley rings.
- The silencer is a Silencerco Omega 300 (14.5 oz) directly threaded to the barrel (as opposed to a quick detach mount). I don’t know if I’d mount a silencer on a 21” featherweight barrel with a heavier silencer.
- The Barrett barrel is fully bedded to the end of the forend. I believe this helps to reduce harmonic imbalance and barrel droop that may have been more pronounced with a free floated barrel.
- Recoil was cut by 30-40% with the silencer. Muzzle rise was virtually nonexistent. No joke.
- My silencer has a brake (of sorts) on the end of it. This brake combined with the 14oz weight on the end of the barrel are the reason for the incredible reduction in recoil. A silencer without this brake would likely still help quite a bit, but not as much.

Conclusion: If you’re willing to spend more than $1k on a hunting rifle and you buy anything other than a Barrett Fieldcraft, you’re probably a Communist who hates Jesus, America, electronic lottery applications, and titty sprinkles.

A few pics:

The action and barrel are glass bedded to a serialized carbon fiber stock. The bedding runs from the action to the very end of the stock.
46445811_10156565257980630_6520567869309190144_n.jpg

This is what a decent shooter can do with a suppressed Fieldcraft at 200 yds
46482978_2082340628530812_1277640740633051136_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Most of my Tikka T3's shot better than that out of the box for $600ish... FWIW

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
One rifle that is of interest to me is the new Fierce Carbon Fury. I am not sure how Fierce rifles generally are though, you don't see much about them. The Carbon Fury is similar to a Ridgeline IMO, with some differences of course. I like the monte carlo style stock, not sure who makes them. It's also a Sako style action. I had a Finnlight once and i really like that action. I'm not sure all the pros/cons vs a Rem clone, but I would like to get my hands on one some day.

They are a lb heavier then the Fieldcrafts, and more money (2595) but IMO probably better suited for longer range shots if that's what you're going for. If anybody knows anything about these rifles, or Fierce in general let us know what you think.

http://fiercearms.com/products/fury-models/carbon-fury

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
there is a big thread on them in the long range section on rokslide. If i remember right wasnt fierce started by a guy that worked at christenson

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 2
  • This month: 1
Top Bottom