cabelas bass pro

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m still pissed they got rid of their Guidewear series, the bass pro series clothes are junk in comparison. Rebranding all the good Cabelas gear as bass pro and then making it cheaper is not going to get my business. I don’t even stop there unless I need something specific like Cabelas rod holder mounts and don’t want to spend $50 for free shipping.

Scheels has been my go to lately if you have a decent one outside of the small Minot one.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to agree that Scheels, I believe, is going to fill that niche in the Outdoor retail world now that Cabelas is Mossy Oak North. Just as cabelas had its own signature lines, scheels is now stepping into that realm. I think their future is bright. They have had considerable growth over the past 10 years but I think the next 10 will be even bigger.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to agree that Scheels, I believe, is going to fill that niche in the Outdoor retail world now that Cabelas is Mossy Oak North. Just as cabelas had its own signature lines, scheels is now stepping into that realm. I think their future is bright. They have had considerable growth over the past 10 years but I think the next 10 will be even bigger.

May Scheels remain independent and never fall victim to this hedge fund conglomeration BS. Amen.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the whole country would be better off if all companies followed the employee owned business model like Scheels does.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels has nothing in store right now either i have rods that have been broke since last july that i haven't been able to exchange. Went to get a pair of gloves all sold out. Ammo obviously is depleted but gun shelves are slowly emptying also.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels has nothing in store right now either i have rods that have been broke since last july that i haven't been able to exchange. Went to get a pair of gloves all sold out. Ammo obviously is depleted but gun shelves are slowly emptying also.

I was more specifically talking to their own clothing lines which seem to be high quality, optics (vortex), etc.

But yes, I think all supply stocks are low regardless of industry. Thats what happens when the world shuts down for a year.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh ok, thought you were talking about the opening post, my fault. Scheels has been rebranding other peoples products with their name for years already some of it quality some of it not.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i own a bunch of scheels branded stuff and have never been disappointed in the quality...

got a buddy that sold their stuff about 30 years ago that told me they had a special on their fishing rods... he ordered a bunch and they had g loomis tags on some of them still... probably some type of reject that wouldn't make the loomis cut... $50 instead of $150 because of a bad glue edge on an eye or a chunk out of a cork handle...

- - - Updated - - -

and i lived about 120 miles from sidney 25 years ago... nice little town we'd make a day trip to every couple months... i can tell you the shock wave from the take over stretches out at least 75 miles in every direction... biggest town within 100 miles of there is probably 5000 people...

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha, okay okay, i watched it. Destroyed by Wall Street.

I would hate to live in that town now. I used to love that company. What happened was not Cabela's fault, but they didn't have to sell. Of course, that guy might have driven them under with lawsuits.

Used to keep their yearly catalog, like we kept the Sears and Penneys Christmas catalogs when I was a kid.

You still don't have an outdoor biffy??

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^Never thought of that. Good tip. Sometimes underwear isn't quite enough. A damnable situation indeed.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i own a bunch of scheels branded stuff and have never been disappointed in the quality...

got a buddy that sold their stuff about 30 years ago that told me they had a special on their fishing rods... he ordered a bunch and they had g loomis tags on some of them still... probably some type of reject that wouldn't make the loomis cut... $50 instead of $150 because of a bad glue edge on an eye or a chunk out of a cork handle...

- - - Updated - - -

and i lived about 120 miles from sidney 25 years ago... nice little town we'd make a day trip to every couple months... i can tell you the shock wave from the take over stretches out at least 75 miles in every direction... biggest town within 100 miles of there is probably 5000 people...

I to lived 120 miles from Cabelas for 40 years and know a few guys that worked there for years until bass pro bought them out. Those guys now live in Springfield and are employed by bass pro, and also know some guys who got canned. In store they never had what you needed and you could order it which I felt that’s what they wanted you to do anyway. I’m strictly Scheels guy now! The amount of knowledge a scheels employee has to help a guy make decisions on a product is very good. It came to be walking into Cabelas was like walking into a Menards and asking an employee that works in the tool department where the hammers are and they have to go find someone that knows 30 mins later!
Takes a lot of stump grease and blinker fluid these days to learn some these new customer service practices!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a dealer at the GF gun show last weekend who had a bunch of older rifles and was very knowledgeable. I believe he said he was from the Wyndmere area. Does anyone know who it may be? Feel free to send me a PM.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84