Cabela's What Next

Skibbys bottom

Established Member
Just thought I'd let you know what's happening to Cabela's after the buy out by Bass Pro Shop. Enclosed is an article from the Omaha World Herald in which is says what's going to happen. I'm enclosing the full article so this will be rather lengthy.

Glad I traded in my Cabela's points

Top of Form

Bass Pro's purchase of Cabela's: Catching you up on why it happened and what's next
· By Brad Davis / World-Herald Business Editor
· Oct 4, 2016 (3)

cabela's.jpg

There are questions and answers after Bass Pro Shops announced its $5.5 billion purchase of Cabela’s on Monday. The biggest question: What happens to the 2,000 workers at Cabela’s headquarters in Sidney, Nebraska, a town of 6,800 about six hours west of Omaha? What we do know: Nebraska is losing another biggie — this time a member of the Fortune 1000 list of the U.S.’ biggest companies. Cabela’s clocked in at No. 592. Now it joins ConAgra Foods — No. 176 — on an exodus from Nebraska after Missouri-based Bass Pro snapped up the outdoors retailer.
Here’s what else is on our minds:

Q: So, what happens to Cabela's retail stores?

Some probably will close, especially in areas where Bass Pro already operates its own stores. In the Omaha area, that could mean either the Bass Pro in Council Bluffs or the Cabela’s in La Vista could shut. None of these changes will happen anytime soon, though. The deal doesn’t close until the first half of next year, and even then, changes at the retail store level probably won’t happen immediately. Bass Pro management in Springfield, Missouri, will want to look at the books and see what makes sense.

Q: Does the Cabela's name go away?

No. But what form it takes is unclear. Will it still adorn retail stores around the country? Or will it just be a brand sold within Bass Pro Shops? Bass Pro Chief Executive Johnny Morris said only that “Bass Pro Shops has every intention of celebrating and growing the Cabela’s brand.” No word on what that means, specifically.

Q: Why did this have to happen?

Cabela’s for years had been struggling with poor “same-store sales.” That’s retail lingo for sales rung up at stores that have been open for more than a year versus sales at the same stores the previous year. It also expanded quickly after issuing stock to the public in 2004. Some Wall Street types say it expanded too quickly, opening stores too close to each other that cannibalized off of each other. That type of performance attracted the attention of Elliott Management, an activist investor. Activist investors — which used to be called “vulture funds” back in the 1980s — swoop in when they smell blood, buying up big stakes in companies and then pressing for big changes. Elliott announced its big stake last October. The fund probably wasn’t going to go away unless it got some kind of change that goosed the value of its stock holdings. It got that change Monday. It paid around $38 a share for its common stock, Dow Jones reported. Bass is buying Cabela’s for $65.50 a share.

Q. What about Sidney?

That’s the toughest question for Nebraskans. The Panhandle city is the definition of a “company town.” Usually when a company acquires another — as Bass is doing with Cabela’s — the acquiring company closes shop of the acquired. Cabela’s headquarters, then, might be done for. What Bass Pro leaves behind in Sidney, on the other hand, is another question. Bass says it “intends to continue to maintain important bases of operations” in Sidney and in Lincoln, where the company has more than 500 employees who work for its credit-card division. But Wall Street watchers say the entire reason for a tie-up like this is to cut costs when it comes to duplication. (There’s no reason to have two marketing departments, two IT departments and so on.) That means there are likely to be substantial job cuts in Sidney — but just how many we probably won’t know until next year, after the deal closes. Until then, it’s a sad waiting game in Sidney.

Q: Wait, doesn't this all sound familiar?

You can be forgiven if you have the feeling that Nebraska just went through something similar. Hometown packaged-food giant ConAgra Foods, which had been based in Omaha since 1922, itself became the target of an activist investor last year. That activist, Jana Partners, also said it wanted to see big changes at ConAgra, which, like Cabela’s, had been seen as an underperformer in its sector. The end result: big job cuts in Omaha and the departure of the company’s headquarters to Chicago. (It still employs 1,200 office workers here.) “I doubt it’s anything in the water in Nebraska,” Jay Lorsch, a Harvard Business School professor told us last year when we asked him whether Nebraskans should be worried that two of their corporate crown jewels had been targeted by two different activists. Still, you have to wonder.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i lived bout 100 miles from sidney in the mid 90's and it was definitely a company town, and the town will surely shrivel without it... a strong farming community will keep it going, but it will struggle none the less...

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do we need to use our reward points on CC?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do we need to use our reward points on CC?

from what I have read no, bass bro says they will honor all cabelas points and CC will be unaffected except that Chase will take over. as far as points no I cant find anything that says otherwise

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yet it seems like Cabelas continues to build their own product lines, and now offer lifetime warranty with a lot of it. I guess it's a pretty empty promise if Bass Pro doesn't have to honor it, which I'm sure they won't.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm...............I wonder how they are going to handle the cabelas optics line or if they will honor the warranty if a guy has problems

Skibbys bottom

Established Member
I had over 700 dollars in cabela's points accumulated. Decided to trade them in rather than loose them. Decided I wanted to get into smoking my own sausage etc.. Glad I did it allowed me to start making my own rather than relying on some one else to process my game. I know I am just a novice, did some work back as a youth working at Yetters Grocery store in Parshall and have butchered my animals for ever but have never smoked them. Glad I did, Now I could really use some help and pointers Haha.

I just didn't want to waste my points, was saving them for something special, but figured that a smoker, mixer, and stuffer would suffice.

I just don't trust that Bass Pro Shop will honor my points, call me a pessimist but 700.00 was a lot of monies to be leaving on the table.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a statement from the CEO of bass pro again may be blowing smoke up ones ass but I don't think the cabelas brand is done. us northern boys where bass pro does not exist I don't think we will see many changes. down south it goes into detail how they will close cabelas if both brands are in the same market, they are consolidating IT, financials etc but it sounds like cabelas will cont to carry its brand and there will still be cabelas brick and mortor sotres in the places where bass pro doesn't exist. maybe that will all change in the near down the road but at least from the readings I have read which are all oct/nov 2016

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure one could legally just take your points

we live in a world where people sue McDonalds' for being fat and coffee shops for spilled hot coffee I doubt they would take point away without a challenge from many folks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think we are safe here in the north land with only the store in East Grand Forks.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will say I will be extremely disappointed if cabelas does discontinue there brands ive had good luck with many of there stuff

also skibby bottoms how in the hell did you get $700 worth haha I seem to blow my wad ( pun intended) at around the 60-$100 mark with random shit like rifle brass, bullets, or new caliper, little shit like that haha

- - - Updated - - -

good purchase can never go wrong with meat making supplies. I have all that stuff and enjoy trying new things each year....and yep cabelas is where I got them

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yet it seems like Cabelas continues to build their own product lines, and now offer lifetime warranty with a lot of it. I guess it's a pretty empty promise if Bass Pro doesn't have to honor it, which I'm sure they won't.
They have to. This is not cabelas going out of business this is them selling everything to another company. With in that sale will be all the companys assets and debts and your your warranty would be in that group and will have to be honored just like dans had to honor gift cards from econo foods when they bought them out. Not sure on the cards seems to me at least at one point they were looking at spinning that off from the main brand.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88